1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which QED Airlock Spade for Tag Mclaren Amplifiers?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by asha_bristol, Apr 23, 2005.

1. asha_bristol

asha_bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everyone,

I am interested in purchasing some QED cables which all seem to come with Airlock terminations. However, I'm not sure which Airlock spade (if either - as there seems to be two different versions - a standard and a wide version) is suitable for my 60irv amplifier (which has the standard BFA style terminals). Is anyone using and QED cables terminated with Airlock spades? If so, please can you have a look and see which one you are using. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ashley

2. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I believe the 60iRv, 60i, 100P and 125M all need the standard 6.35mm Airlock whereas the 100x5R, 250x3R and 250MR all need the wide 8mm Airlock. Doesn't you dealer have a spare plug or demo cables so you check that they fit?

3. asha_bristol

asha_bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Is anyone in a position to confirm this for sure? Dealer said they don't get much call for spade terminations, thus if I wanted to try them they would have to order and I would have to buy them regardless of they fitted or not. Don't really want to waste £10+ just to find out if someone on here already knows the answer.

4. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Asha

Find yourself another dealer! So much for customer service :thumbsdow

5. asha_bristol

asha_bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone actually replaced their BFA terminals with proper Banana terminals once warranty has expired etc.? A friend of mine recently bought an Audiolab 8000LX on ebay (which has exactly the same terminals as 60i/60irv) but the BFA terminals had been replaced with Banana terminals. They work a treat! Item number 5768332732 for anyone who wants to take a look.

6. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Forgive this if it's a silly question, but aren't spades supposed to give a better surface connection contact than bananas?

7. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You right Caleb.

8. asha_bristol

asha_bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...but only if they fit into the amp's terminals!!!

9. asha_bristol

asha_bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have, so to speak, managed to answer my own question on this issue. There is such a thing as a BFA Airloc plug. I have had this confirmed by QED product support this afternoon. It is not well advertised (no mention of it on their website at all) but it does exist and is available according to them. Will soon find out...