1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which PVR?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by pmconmy, Dec 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. pmconmy

pmconmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to get a PVR of somekind but have a few questions.

The main options are tivo, humax pvr 800t, or pace,
    Sky+ is out as we have ntl at home (has broadband and phone
    and upgrading would be a nightmare).

Of these three the humax looks like the best option (the tivo
    isn't easily available and the pace has a really small disk drive -
    not much better than the dvd-ram on my dvd recorder)
    but am I right to assume you can't record from scart on the
    humax, only via the EPG?
    Is this true of the pace too?
    Finally, does the tivo sync with ntl boxes?

cheers,
    philippa

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

TiVo are not easily available any more but are the best PVR!!!!!

They can be bought new from: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=298&item=3066443405
    Or are available reconditioned from: http://www.floridavilla.com/tivoland/index.html

TiVo does work with all NTL boxes, but if you have a Pace 1000 (or 2000 I think) box then you will need an IR converter to let TiVo control the box. I believe these are available from TiVo c/s

Get a TiVo you WILL LOVE IT :devil:

Mark.

3. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pmconmy,

Of the 3 you mention, only 1 is a PVR - you guessed it : TiVo !! :)

The others are just dumb set top boxes with hard drives.

For more info about TiVo, see what is TiVo or have a browse on the TiVo community forum

The guy who runs Tivoland is a regular poster on the forum and seems respected (no connection with me either!).

Alternatively, the eBay seller eldoctorpocoloco (mentioned by MarkE19 above) also seems a good source. A friend of mine bought a TiVo from him recently and is very happy with the box and service he received.

If you want a real PVR then the only choice is TiVo. It's unfortunate that you can't buy a brand new one at the moment - but I'd rather have any TiVo, regardless of its age or appearance than one of these other dumb boxes. Having said that, TiVos tend to age well (there are no buttons or external controls) - so a 1 year old TiVo will most likely look indentical in your equipment rack to a barnd new one. I have 2 and they're both mint :)

4. pmconmy

pmconmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. Think I've been persuaded that the tivo
    is the best way to go. Trying to work on a colleage to upgrade
    to sky+ and sell me his tivo!

5. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont think that will work why would your friend want to down grade from a TiVo to a sky+ box.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    For exactly the oposite reason to why TiVo never took off when available in the UK!
    Sky are pushing Sky+ very hard at the moment and the adverts are everywhere. Who can remember seeing TiVo adverts anywhere, and if you can how often did you see them?
    But saying that, when I read pmconmy's reply I did wonder exactly the same thing.

Mark.

7. pmconmy

pmconmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By "upgrade" I meant his sky package not the pvr technology.
    I see how it could have been misinterpreted though.
    I remember seeing a few tivo ad's and none of them really
    sold the technology, all they seemed to push was the pause
    live tv aspect (which is nice) not the "totally different way
    to watch tv" aspect which is what I'm interested in.

8. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To get the Tivo working really well with the NTL box, don't bother with the official "dongle" get a red-eye instead

http://www.redremote.co.uk/index.html

These are considered by many to be superior to the dongle, and it also means you can use a multifunction remote (such as a Pronto) to manage the NTL box.

9. ivanwilson

ivanwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Philippa

We've NTL phone and broadband along with Sky+ with no problems. Used to have NTL digibox but Sky was better value. I've had TiVo and it's a great piece of kit but I think that Sky+ has the edge overall. Main points for me were picture quality (better than TiVo), dolby digital sound, dual record (recording of 2 different sat stations simultaneously whilst watching something else recorded earlier). Also is a doddle to upgrade to a bigger hard drive. Can be done on TiVo but is a bit involved.

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    PQ on Sky+ is slightly better as it records the digital signa and TiVo records a converted analogue signal. Saying that though I have always found the PQ on TiVo at High Quality or Best to be very good. You just need to use quality leads to connect the boxes.

Can't argue with that. But how many progs are actually transmitted in DD?

I hope you weren't holding your breath for that. Promised from day one and only just become available. Also Sky repeat most progs so often do you really need it?

Took me less than an hour to do the upgrade on my TiVo. If you follow the 'Hinsdale' instructions it really is a doddle! Never tried any other boxes, but it can't be any easier really.

As you may have gathered I am a big TiVo fan. Having been on the TiVo community forum for many years and seen posts from many that have both boxes, they all seem to say the Sky+ software is bug ridden and inferiour to TiVo's - their opinions, not mine as I have never used Sky+.

Mark.

11. ivanwilson

ivanwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mark

I won't preach to the well converted!

The disk upgrade is easier though - you unplug the old one and put in the new one, that's it, no software, format etc, a 5 minute job. A single drive TiVo isn't easy to change, although I've done it; I wouldn't really like to do a twin 30 + 10. But anyway - enjoy, the thing that was always a worry for me was continuity of TiVo scheduling service but it's still going and long may it stay.

Forgot to mention, 3 movie channels are DD also main Disney has some programing. Quite a lot in total. Also I really do use dual record very often - didn't think I would but I do.

12. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PQ Quality can be drastically increased in the Tivo, Mine's set to 720x576, which I believe is the resolution for PAL DVD's. I've also upped the Bitrate for recordings....

you can't adjust this in Sky+

DD from Sky is alleged to be seriously buggy, I know a couple of people who don't bother with it anymore as it's painful to listen to with all the dropouts.

I have a Tivo, and I ditched Sky in favour of Digital Cable (no weather problems with cable). I've also ditched the movie channels as everything they transmit, that I'd watch, is already in my DVD collection. So it's horses for courses really....

You can do a LOT more to a Tivo than put bigger drives in it, e.g.

Automatically padding start and end of recordings
    Chroma and Luminance correction (try that on the sky box...)
    Extract the digital recording from source (no need to record from the scart)
    Control the whole thing via a browser (setting recordings from work :smashin: )
    e-mail notification of conflicts, due recordings, imminent expiries etc..

The software is far superior to Sky+, with the exception of the dual recording feature, but with the number of programs repeated these days, this is a lot less important as Tivo tells me when all the runs of that program are on anyway.

Quite an informed comparison page...

http://www.garysargent.co.uk/tivo/TIVOvsSKY.htm