1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which PVR out of these 3?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Pezerinno, Jan 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi, which would you say was the best freeview PVR out of these?

Thomson DHD4000
    Fusion FVRT100
    Panasonic TUCTH100

I was set on the thomson but a few things worry me. Firstly the noise, this will be going in the bedroom and I hear the fan makes quite a bit of noise, especially since I heard the epg updates every night at 3am and you have to leave the thing on to get the update (unless this has been fixed in a new software version or something). Another worry I have is the fact you can't start watching a recording before it's finished recording (if you get me :cool: ). And another thing is can you set it automatically to record a weekly/daily programme?

Don't know too much about the other two. I've heard the image quality if very good from the thomson although the look of the thing isn't great. The fusion and thomson are about the same price with the panny being more expensive. The panasonic also looks quite large and I'm lacking in space atm.

Anyway which is the one to go for?

Thanks.

2. rutteger

rutteger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Of the three only the thomson and fusion are available now. Both thomson and fusion are apparently very similar units - I own the fusion and am very pleased with it. The thomson has recently had a software update which has added a few new features, it's discussed on www.digitalspy.co.uk. An update is apparently due for the fusion.
    Regarding noise the fusion is a little noisy. In a quiet room (i.e. no TV, radio etc.) you can hear the fan / hd whirring away. It's fine in the longue but I'd think twice before putting it in a bedroom.
    Something to consider is the fusion fvrt150 available from argos for £199. Basically a fvrt100 with a 80GB hard disk.

3. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks for the reply. Do you think the larger HD in the fusion FVRT150 would add more heat and thus result in a noisier unit?

Can you keep the fusion on standby overnight? Do the HD's spin down when on standby? Also where does the epg on the fusion come from? 4TV intereactive?

Thanks.

4. rutteger

rutteger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Regarding the fvrt150 that's a good point. You're guess is as good as mine.

The fusion needs to be left in standby or on overnight to pickup the EPG at 3am. It gets the EPG from 4TV.

5. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    When downloading the epg, does it download the whole weekly programme I assume so could you not just leave it on standby over night once a week and turn it off the rest of the time?

6. rutteger

rutteger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nick,

it would appear to download the next seven days every morning at 3 am. The first day I had it it did just this. Since mine is on all the time it just appears to download the seventh day every night - although I assume it will update (or even oeverwrite) the already downloaded EPG if required.

There is a lot of information on the unit here

cheers

7. teknosys

teknosys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whens the panny due? as I'm getting a little sick of waiting.

8. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Read the thread over at digitalspy. It doesn't appear to have optical out for audio systems - is this correct?

Teknosys - I heard end of Jan for the Panny.

9. rutteger

rutteger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No optical out for the audio is correct, just phono outputs However since the sound on freeview is at best prologic encoded stereo this isn't much of an issue.

The Panasonic has been coming out "at the end of the month" for the last 6 months or so.

10. father alice

father alice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the fusion has just recieved its long awaited update, so you can now chase play - previously missing, plus a couple of other features inc 14 day epg. Thompson has also recently has these updates. FVRT150 with the 80gb HD from argos looks the best bet at present.

11. diablo

diablo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I was wondering about the Panasonic back last July, but it seemed then that it might take a while to appear in the shops. It had better be good, otherwise lots of people will have waited many months for no reason.

I chose to get a Thomson, which has given me six months reliable service so far. The new software update gives valuable extra features. :)

The fan never turns off, so it is slightly noisy.

The new software for the existing boxes has been causing problems for some. With the Thomson, it seems to be boxes which have had larger hard disks fitted which are giving problems.
    There have been several reports of lost recordings with the new Fusion software, regardless of the disk size.

No perfect box exists at the moment, I'm sorry to say.

12. teknosys

teknosys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They can (allegedly) put a man on the moon..........
    There is a potential massive market for freeview equipment that the delays in releasing more advanced equipment must be down to industrial sabotage/skulduggery from the opposing operators – you no who you are!

Can you record two programs at once with any of these boxes?

13. diablo

diablo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Yep. The Fusion and Thomson can record two programs simultaneously, whilst playing back a previous recording. The Panny will probably do the same thing.

Very useful, my two VCRs haven't been used since I got mine.

14. jakesmith

jakesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm seriously considering buying the Thomson DHD-4000 (on unbeatable for £159.99 last time I looked).

BUT - I am a Tivo owner and consider it the best piece of electronic equipment I've ever bought. The thomson on paper is better technically, e.g. twin tuners etc. I am aware that I will not be able to record of sky (as I do now) and only be able to record FTA channels. That is fine.

My question is, anyone out there have both and willing to share their opinions on ads. + disads. each have over each other??

I'd love the thomson if it worked as seemlessly as the Tivo!

15. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just out of interest - is there a particular reason why the Humax PVR8000T isn't on your shortlist?

16. jakesmith

jakesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was and it is a close run thing, but thomson's recent software upgrade was probably main thing. I think I've heard rumoured that thomson is more reliable - my tivo is made by thomson but that doesn't really factor though.
    The new software, resolves a bunch of bugs (they both had and still have bugs)
    I've forgotten exact details, but all seem to bring it closer to tivo, things like 14day epg, chase back record, ability to record program partially in record buffer, daily/weekly records (shame no series link etc).

I have still have some serious doubts as to whether it will be good replacement for Tivo - despite 2 tuners.

I am still surprised there isn't a more impressive all singing all dancing box out there - I'd pay twice the price for a decent PVR (e.g. with a network port that I could read encoded files off!) - The most import thing of all IMO though is that it has easy to use EPG and recording playback mechanism for the living room.

17. Kepler

Kepler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick follow on question. I am also thinking about buying either a Fusion or a thomson, but am a bit concerned about the sound of the hard drive and fan. I have read mixed reports, but would like to double check.
    Even after the recent updates, do both machines emit an audible noise even while the hard drive is not being used - e.g. just when watching a live freeview channel? (I read one post on digitalspy that said that after its update the Thomson is less noisy - any confirmation of this?)

thanks

18. niwi

niwi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Thomson is quieter since the upgrade, as the HDD doesn't spin all the time - although the fan still whirrs constantly. I'm gonna look to address that by replacing it with a thermostatic one. I've already changed the HDD to a 120Gb Seagate unit - and that in itself is quieter in operation. I went for the DHD4000 because of the TOS audio out and S-video. I previously had a Pace Twin that just died on me at 18 months old - grrrr!!

19. Kepler

Kepler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the sound of the fan loud enough to disturb normal TV watching? I don't have a separate cabinet, and don't want to buy a machine that ends up just annoying me.

Thanks,

20. niwi

niwi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's the same as having a desktop PC cooling fan running all the time. Normal TV viewing for me is routed through an AV amp and 6 speakers, so it doesn't intrude. My wife finds it annoying when she's sat quietly reading tho.

21. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Do you know that Humax are releasing a twin tuner PVR - the 9200T in the summer? With the ease that you can upgrade the HD in the 8000T's & the lack of cooling fan noise this might be an option if you can wait 5/6/7 or whatever months :laugh:

Presumably the 9200T will be something similar to the 9100T already out in the US(?).

As for the network connection, I'd be quite surprised if this makes an appearance on mainstream models.

22. grim

grim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a thompson it kept freezing then a replacement did the sanme thing i changed to digifusion vv pleased and much quieter

23. cloudchaser

cloudchaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have had the Fusion for the last 4 months or so and have never got worried by the noise of the hard disk while watching TV or in standby. The few odd times I have heard it was when I was standing right next to it and even then it was not a problem. Even if you have extreme sensitive hearing I doubt you will hear it even with the sound on low.

My TV and Fusion lives in a room/loft flat with a high ceiling so its all one big space - even then I have yet to be aware of the sound of the disk - but saying all the above I have got tinnitus in my left ear ;)

Overall I have to say I am very impressed with the Fusion and its performance and the new upgrade seems to have knocked off a few minor irritants like chase play, recorded subtitles and so on.

I recommend it highly and hope my input helps you make the choice
    cheers

24. diablo

diablo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I think they had a bad batch. It was mentioned on DS.

I think the previous comparison to a pc is a bad one. I have a pc in the same room as my Thomson. It is about 8 feet away and behind a sofa and I can always hear the fan when it is turned on, even with the TV on.

My Thomson is about 4 feet away and I cannot hear it at all when using TV, radio etc. It is possible to hear it in a totally silent room, but it's hardly annoying, even then.