1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which PVR is best (SKY+ not included)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by beolab, Oct 31, 2005.

1. beolab

beolab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which PVR is best?

Please dont say SKY+ because I am very annoyed that it cost £25 a month minimum to be able to use SKY+ recording facility

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    What do you mean by best?

For flexibilty in program listings and hardware upgrades then TIVO still sets the standards. Not made for the UK for many years but still can be found on ebay and the subscription part of the TIVO service is still active.

DVR's for DTT all have an EPG and are one box solutions and can come with some interesting features, check out the PVR forum for a more indepth view of the various models.

3. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    It depends.
    Best for what?

For software, sophistication and flexibility and reliability ,upgradeability and networking, hackability etc. etc.. -TiVo (IMHO FAR_FAR better than Sky+)
    For integrated Sky -Dreambox
    For twin-tuner integrated Freeview in one small box and reliable - Digifusion FVTR 200
    For twin-tuner integrated Freeview in one small box with USB and mp3 and some hackability- Toppy
    For twin-tuner integrated Freeview in one small box with nicest UI- Pace Twin
    For integrated Freeview for lowest price - Bush £80
    For playing DiVx DVDs - kiss dp558

Alternatively build your own expensive solution using a PC - Windows MCE, Freevo, MythTV etc.. to do exactly what you want.

Here's what I think the DVRs are worth IMHO. YMMV.

TiVo £500 with lifetime sub
    Sky+ £zero - OK if sub reduced to a fiver per month, otherwise Sky would have to give me £500 upfront before I give them a tenner a month
    Topfield £140
    Dreambox £140
    FVRT200 £110
    FVRT150 £80
    Pace Twin £50
    Kiss DP588 £70 - too many bugs!

MCE £400