Which PVR - Humax or Sharp?

A

AndyGriggs

Hey all,

I'm upgrading from a regular STB to a PVR, and two have caught my eye:

Sharp TUR160H
Humax PVR9200T

Both have got good reviews, both are similar prices, and both have similar specs. TBH, the Humax looks slightly better specced, but the Sharp is a new model; does newer = better with these things?

Lots of you rave about the Humax on this forum, but I've not seen anything on the Sharp.

What would you guys spend your money on?

People's Champ

Standard Member
Andy,

I can safely say I love my Humax and better still there is a new version of the software out today (free download) making further improvements. Such as:-

- Now up to 50 recording timers at once - should always have had this admittedly

- Now see 5 channels in the guide at one time

- Much easier now to delete a recording

Numerous other small things. They are also going to include the new freeview playback features such as series link when freeview make them available - expected around Feb/March next year.

I must admit never seen the Sharp but can promise you will love the Humax. I bought mine in Currys (price match to their website for £200). They have a 7 day return policy so go get one have a play and see what you think!

crammedin

Novice Member
According to this thread: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=480203 the Humax PVR can still be had for £169 plus £7 delivery. I dont know much about the Sharp apart from its a vestel clone and though has two tuners can not cope with recordings that overlap or two programmes you want to record at the same time. Unless you can get the Sharp at a very low price (you said you saw them at similar price though) then I would spend the extra on the Humax which is quite popular with users here and the other forums. If you know the model number of the Sharp PVR it might still be worth doing a search on forums for it as a it of research before you buy.

S

steviemcculloug

the problem with the sharp is you cant record two things at once

Richard46

Also the Sharp does not have the kind of user forum support/help that the Humax (and the Topfield) have.

Richard

A

AndyGriggs

Thanks for the feedback guys, I can't justify the extra money on the Topfield, but you've swayed me on the Humax! Thanks for the link to Digitalspy, I'm getting it from Hughes today.

dazza74

Novice Member
Thanks for the feedback guys, I can't justify the extra money on the Topfield, but you've swayed me on the Humax! Thanks for the link to Digitalspy, I'm getting it from Hughes today.
I've ordered the Humax for my Sister for Christmas this afternoon as well. I've got the topfield myself and it's a great machine, but with the topfield you do I feel need to invest time in installing different TAPS to improve the functionality of the box.

richwill

Novice Member
Dazza,

Personally, I reckon that we users couldn't go far wrong with either the toppy or hummy. I've seen enough posts from satisfied users of both machines to make me feel comfortable recommending either even though I only own the Hummy

goggles

Standard Member
The Humax and Toppy are both great.Own the Toppy myself and bought the Humax for my partner.Slight differences but its horses for courses.:)

mark.king

Standard Member
I have the Toppy and don't use any TAPS at all. With the Bastile software it does all I need. Still a bit dodgy in some areas but aren't they all?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews

Trending threads

Top Bottom