Which PVR? Humax or Icecrypt

moggith

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

Have had my faithful old toppy for a number of years and looking to upgrade to freeview hd -

my dilemma is which to buy?

i am eyeing up the humax fox, or the icecrypt t2400,

for me picture quality on sd and hd is key, also the ability to copy recordings to a pc and burn to dvd -

i was holding out for the icecrypt, but have heard the sd pq is a bit soft?

any advise would be greatfully recieved,

thanks in advance:)

Where have you heard about the PQ of the Icecrypt? The firmware's not even finished. Anyone who's been reviewing one hasn't, effectively, seen what's going to be in the shops.

here -
http://www.avforums.com/forums/pvrs-vcrs/1360523-icecrypt-t2400-review.html

must admit was dissapointed to read this, as have been waiting for this machine to come out - so hopefully this review is actually cobblers!

it was reading this that made me sway towards the humax, but may well wait for the icecrypt - after all its only a few days to go now (if 10th december is still the release date)

i appreciate that the sd pq will always be poor compared to hd - but so few hd channels at the moment the sd is waht you would be wathing most of, so it needs to be good

Why replace rather than add-to the Toppy with an additional HD box? Apart from being unable to receive one mux a tapped Toppy is still the best Freeview receiver there is.

yes i will miss my toppy - its been a faithful companion for the last 3 years - best gadget i own,

and i currently have a cheapo bush freesat box so i can watch hd stuff, but the pq isnt great on the bush,
and freesat doesnt have c4 hd -
so figured it maybe time to move on-

btw - just noticed the icecryot preorder page on play.com is now saying reased on 05/01/2011 :suicide:

yes i will miss my toppy

Ooh, Moggith! I could give you such a slap! ;) You've completely ignored Toodeep's question, which, rephrased, is: Why would you be getting rid of your Toppy - "the best gadget you own" - rather than run it alongside a new HD PVR?

Stack 'em high like I do :D

Vestel T825 (SD)
Toppy 5800 (SD)
Tiscali+ (IPTV, a bit like cable) (SD)
Technika Smartbox 8320HD (Freeview HD)

Toodeep, please could you explain what you mean by "Apart from being unable to receive one mux..."? I've had my Toppy nearly 2 years and have never realised I was missing a mux :eek:

clemenzina

I think most HD Pvr's are producing a softer image on SD..

That's simply not true! The Fetch unit, the Philips unit and also the 3view unit all have really sharp bright picture quality on both SD and also HD broadcasts via HDMI. To get the same sharpness on the Humax and the Digital Stream, you would need to resort to using RGB Scart I'm afraid .

TG

Hi

That's simply not true! The Fetch unit, the Philips unit and also the 3view unit all have really sharp bright picture quality on both SD and also HD broadcasts via HDMI. To get the same sharpness on the Humax and the Digital Stream, you would need to resort to using RGB Scart I'm afraid .

TG

The Philips is actually the only one that is different picture wise on SD, it's also significantly different in other ways to, doesn't work very well, is the most poorly featured and support is bad.

The Philips picture though is riddled with compression artefacts on SD that are also sharpened along with the picture, so you need MPEG noise reduction applied which then removes the sharpening and it is then worse!

I've seen no differences with HD on any of the units you mention including the Philips. Thankfully manufacturers seem to be leaving the enhancements and sharpening turned off when it comes to H264, so far anyway.

Regards

Phil

Last edited:
Toodeep, please could you explain what you mean by "Apart from being unable to receive one mux..."? I've had my Toppy nearly 2 years and have never realised I was missing a mux :eek:
The Freeview HD services are broadcast on their own mux.

No SD PVR picks up the HD mux :confused: In any case, given that the Freeview HD channels' programmes are mostly the same as SD ones, you ain't missing much ;) (I do have an HD PVR devoted solely to the HD channels.)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom