* Which PVR has it all???* - advice needed re features

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by H0tpants, Jan 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. H0tpants

H0tpants
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to this forum and not very technical so please forgive me if I ask anything obvious...

I would like to get a PVR with built-in freeview which records to both harddrive and to DVD. I would also like it to have a built in DVD player as I do not want to have extra boxes. Ideally also with HDMI since we are getting a new TV with 3 HDMI (the Toshiba 32WLT68 LCD HD Ready Digital TV). We don't have (or plan to get) Sky or Xbox. (However in truth HDMI is just something I have heard about, I am not too clear on the benefits of HDMI on a PVR, especially if we are not likely to record in HD since we only receive Freeview)

Are there any features on a PVR help me get the most out of my new TV without subscribing to Sky?

Also, on a forum, someone who sounded like they knew what they were talking about said that it is good if a PVR also has the following:
    - HDD (does this stand for hard drive?)
    - Freeview
    - Record +R & +RW discs (what does that mean?)
    - HDMI connection(s)
    - iLink connection(s) (what does that mean?)
    - Chasing playback
    - Simultaneous Rec/Playback

Lastly, I have heard that some machines support DVD- format, while some (eg Phillips) prefer DVD+ format. Again, what does that mean?

I am sorry to ask so many questions but I am really confused. Which machine(s) would have all of this???
    Lots of people talk about the Humax PVR9200T, but that has no DVD player and no HDMI does it?
    The Sony 1065 seems to maybe fit the bill (does it?) but the Sony's seem really unpopular on these forums - why?

Thank you very much for any help
    from Confused Hotpants :confused:

2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,573
    The only machine that could do that would be an MCE Based (a Home Theatre PC) machine....

3. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    If your new PVR definately needs to be something with a DVD recorder/player built in then none of the ones available will have twin freeview tuners. The PVRs with twin freeview tuners dont have DVD recorders/layers built in. The twin tuner freeview PVRs that dual record have the feature outlined in this table: www.pvrjunction.co.uk/compare

So if you need DVD recorder/player built in there will be a compromise, most notably being able to record two channels at the same time on the same machine. What you could do is buy one of these hard drive/DVDR PVR combos with a TV that has freeview. That way at least you can watch one freeview channel and record another on the PVR. Some of these should have HDMI out for a connection to an LCD or Plasma TV but check the model. Ones from Pioneer and Panasonic seem popular. The Sony RDR-HXD860 can do series link on freeview which could be popular in the future.

If it was me I would buy a twin tuner dual recording PVR and a seporate DVD Recorder/player, because in my experience they are very easy to operate compared and some tend to have convenient features. I repaced my DVD recorder for a DVD player because after buying a twin tuner PVR I found I hardly ever used it.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    Are there any features on a PVR help me get the most out of my new TV without subscribing to Sky?
    Freeview for extra channels and a programme guide
    - HDD (does this stand for hard drive?)
    Hard Disc Drive, yes. Makes "timeshifting" (record, watch later and delete) much easier, and also for much easier editing when you make your DVDs (to remove Ads, late starts, etc).
    - Freeview
    Yes, see above.
    - Record +R & +RW discs (what does that mean?)
    See last answer below
    - HDMI connection(s)
    Best possible way to get signal from your machine into a suitably equipped TV
    - Chasing playback
    Means you can begin to watch a recording before it has finished recording
    - Simultaneous Rec/Playback
    Means you can be watching something recorded earlier while a new recording is taking place.

Lastly, I have heard that some machines support DVD- format, while some (eg Phillips) prefer DVD+ format. Again, what does that mean?
    + and - are two different types of blank disc. A machine which can ONLY record on + cannot use - blanks. And vice versa. A machine that can record on either can use either (obviously). But for PLAYBACK it matters little. Pretty well any DVD machine can play completed discs of either type (there is some evidence that - discs enjoy ever so slightly better compatibility with some older players). So it's only relevant when it comes to you going out and buying blank discs - you need to get the right type.

R discs (of either type + or -) can only be recorded once. Cannot be erased. RW discs can be erased and re-used.