Which PVR does season passes?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Hustiniano, Jan 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Hustiniano

Hustiniano
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I am new to this Forum.... I own a TIVO and swear by it - bought it 4 years ago and it is still amazing...

My parents want to move up from their VHS setup - I can't recommend TIVO to them as you cannot get them anymore (other than refurbished) - and anyway, they quite like the idea of twin freeview tuners (vs only one in TIVO)
    They only have freeview - no sky or cable inputs to worry about. And they are not strong techies - so it needs to be simple.

I am looking at the Humax9200T for them - and have checked out the user manual on the Humax website to try to see what it can do. It looks OK, but I am not clear whether you can use the EPG to ask it to record an epsiode of a program AND all future episodes that come along (TIVO call this season passes). Can the Humax do this, or will they have to remember to set it every week to record Desperate Housewives? :)

Also, how do you work with the Humax to incorporating padding at the start/end of a recording to accommodate schedule overruns etc. The TIVO is not good at this (unless you hack it), but I wondered if the Humax uses its TWO tuners to be clever about padding - does it?

If the Humax cannot do season passes, is there an alternative twin tuner PVR I should consider?

Thanks

2. captain747480

captain747480

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    At present Freeview doesn't transmit the necessary meta data to enable Season Passes to work.

As such the Humax can't currently do Season Passes but Freeview has developed a standard called Freeview Playback which will include the meta data and I believe that Humax will be supporting the Freeview Playback standard in a future release.

At present you could set the Humax to do a weekly recording but if the program were to move then you'd stand a chance of missing some or all of it.

The nearest thing to Season Passes that is currently available is on the the Topfield TF5800(or Toppy). The Toppy will not do Season Passes as standard but using an add on program called a TAP (or in some cases a combination of TAP's) you can set up searches for particular words or phrases on certain channels at certain times of day. Have a look at www.toppy.org.uk, there's information on replacement EPG TAP's (such as MyStuff, JAG's and EPG Navigator) in the TAP's section of the Forum on that site.

3. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    The reply above tells you about season pass but didn't answer your question about padding the timer to start early finish late... this is a doddle on the Humax. You can set it to sart early /finish late for all your recordings. This is on one of the menus and is easy to set up, having done so it will record the padding you set for each on all your recordings. I have mine set for 2 mins early and 5 mins late and have never had a problem.

The machine is excellent for non techno parents. I've recommended it to several non enthusiast friends and they all love it and find it easy to use.

4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,533
    Your only choice for something that comes close to a season pass with be the Topfield with Mystuff installed. Now don't get 'afraid' buy the word installed and think it is a 'techie' unit...Once it is on, it is very much forget about it. I don't even realise I have added something to it, and no maintenance is required......IMO The only option you've got...Oh and it does your padding as well.....Even automatically when you have multiple recordings overlapping or sequential to each other....

5. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Freeview can work with season passes, but only 2 companies in the UK give the necessary metadata - Microsoft ( with Windows MCE) and TiVo.
    This is collated seperately and so has to be downloaded daily from the internet as no UK sources (Sky,Freeview,NTL.Telewest,Homechoice) have the full metadata contained in the transmission.

Sky have a limited amount of metadata in their series links. These are only for the more popular programmes, and are nowhere near as extensive or reliable as TiVo or Windows MCE.

So if you want a dual or quad tuner (in one box) Freeview PVR with season passes your only proper solution at the moment is Windows MCE.

6. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    It won't be very long before the season pass functionality is available on Freeview, thanks to the new meta-data - the BBC are already transmitting it, and some people's Toppys are already using it. Other boxes will likely follow pretty soon after the system is formally launched.

Nigel.

7. Hustiniano

Hustiniano
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies
    I am going to look at the Tvonics machine vs the Humax and choose one of these for my parents - they woudl never be able to get to grips with TAPs.
    (Although if I did not have TIVO I woudl look at the Topfield for me)

8. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    You can buy a Tvonics from Tesco for £190. I dont see them sold anywhere else. You could check by asking first, but you may be able to buy it and if you dont like it (whats not to like?) bring it back even (buy check first).

Comet do a 7 day trial period if you buy online £180 for the Humax. If you dont like it you can contact them within 7 days for return or take it back to your most local store for a refund. All might not be lost with series link though. Humax will be providing a software update sometime in quarter 1 this year for it to work on their existing machine. And TVonics will either be releasing a new PVR with this ability or updating their existing one if possible this year.

I suppose the one thats going to be the main difference between these twin tuner PVRs is there are some machines that can only use one tuner for recording at a time. PVRs like the Fusion models, Invertos, Topfields and Humaxs can cope in situations you get when two programmes want to be recorded but overlap or are on at the same time. Whereas some PVRs like the TVonics will not let you do that. Overwise all will do the job of watching and recording programmes on Freeview in an easy way.

9. Hustiniano

Hustiniano
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Marc - it was not clear to me at all that there was this difference between the Tvonics and the Humax. I thought both could record two things at the same time using their twin tuners, and so could manage overlapping recordings. I will definitely go Humax now you have clarified this....