Which PVR do I need?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by SteveAS, Sep 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. SteveAS

SteveAS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

I've currently got SD Sky running on an old panasonic set top box. I don't have a subscription so I just get the free channels. I don't have anything to record programmes at the moment which is now becoming a pain as I am away more often. We're renting and although there are aeriel points in all the rooms in the house there isn't an aeriel. One needs to be installed with a booster which the landlord is willing to pay for. This will help as we want a small tv (built in freeview tuner) in the bedroom soon.

My question is do I need a PVR for downstairs or is it a bit OTT? I want to be able to record programmes from my panny set top box or is this not possible? Is it better to stick with what I have and just add a HDD recording device, or could I scrap the panny digi box and replace with something like the Humax 9200TB? I've got a full 5.1 surround setup so would need tobe able to watch programmes in pro logic II if possible.

My budget is 200 quid if that helps. I was looking at the Humax 9200tb and the sagem models. Are these the answer to my problem?

Thanks, Steve.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,306
    None of the Freeview PVRs will record anything except Broadcast Freeview, received from an aerial that is suitable for your loaction. Does that begin to answer your question?

3. SteveAS

SteveAS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes it does. Thanks.

So I need a HDD recorder that connects to my digi box via scart then?

4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,306
    Yes, probably. Bear in mind - with such a setup, your digibox is used to receive the progamme you want to record and "feed" the recorder. That means that, while recording something, you can't use your digibox for anything else (except, perhaps, to watch the same programme "live").

Pop over to the DVD Recorders forum for more help on these..............

5. SteveAS

SteveAS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks LV426. I think I'm gonna have to scrap the digi box and go with freeview, or have both.

I need somthing with an EPG and capability to record programmes on time when they are late or rescheduled.

6. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,306
    Well, now, if you're switching to Freeview, you're in the right place.

The main contenders for a Freeview PVR are Humax9200 and Topfield5800. Principally the same thing, but the Topfield has more HDD options and if you want to, you can enhance its functionality with 3rd party software (called TAPs).

All have EPGs. The ability to reliably record late-running/rescheduled materila is part of the Freeview Playback specification, which is fledgeling at present. It's wholly deendent on broadcasters sending out the right meta-data which (like PDC for analogue) is hit-and-miss anyway. And, of course, suitable firmware in the machine itself. You're probably never going to be able to rely 100% on it.

Both the machines I mention are covered in other threads in depth.