Question Which PVR Backend software for new build server / Kodi front-end

Yes, other than the slow channel start its very good and does all I need. The slow channel start is a deal breaker for me though.

I installed (Windows) NPVR over the weekend and have it hooked up to HDHomerun and view via Kodi. Works great so far, no sign of the 4 second delay on tuning that you've seen. Maybe it's something particular to the setup you have?

I installed (Windows) NPVR over the weekend and have it hooked up to HDHomerun and view via Kodi. Works great so far, no sign of the 4 second delay on tuning that you've seen. Maybe it's something particular to the setup you have?
Possibly. I used hdhomerun tuners too - Kodi clients are a mix.

i didn’t need to have a 4s delay, but if I enabled time shift in Kodi and didn’t have it some channels buffered 1-2s after startup which was incredibly annoying (itv hd was the main one).

are you using NPVR4 or 5?

@tredman

Using v5. I'm hopeful this will work as it'll simplify my setup, as I can ditch TVHeadend if it's all OK.

I'll keep an eye out for buffering and will post back what I find.

Thats just odd then. I though it might be kodi related so tried 18.6 & 19, but both the same. The streams just seemed unstable unless I had a 4s buffer at start. The same tuners in tvheadend, hdhomerun dvr & channels dvr are rock solid.

@tredman

I think I've seen what you've seen though I've only occasionally noticed it so far on the RPi Kodi box we have, not on the Fire TV box or Windows laptop running Kodi.

Personally I don't find it much of an issue as we don't really watch a lot of live telly anyway, and I'd put up with it as using NPVR means I've been able to ditch a dedicated RPi running TVHeadend.

Anyone have an update on this? I'm looking for a new PVR server and came across this thread. Anyone got any updated suggestions? Must be Linux based as I'm fed up with constant Windows updates with features I don't want.

Anyone have an update on this? I'm looking for a new PVR server and came across this thread. Anyone got any updated suggestions? Must be Linux based as I'm fed up with constant Windows updates with features I don't want.
I use HDHomerun's own PVR backend - have to pay a very small annual subscription (ÂŁ25 IIRC), but its very lightweight and rock solid. Previously I'd have recommended tvheadend but reliability has nosedived imo.

A lot will depend on what your clients are though...

When I actively used my PVR, the most troublesome part was finding reliable EPG data. I found Schedulesdirect were the best. If I was to look at a new solution, I would check which works best with SD.

Homerun is not suitable for me as I only have satellite and they don't seem to support that in the UK. I've been using NextPVR on my main PC for a while and it has been fine with schedules direct.

But I keep getting errors saying "device failed" and I've been meaning to move to a dedicated PVR server for a while. So now seems to be the obvious time to make the move. I have another satellite card that I never got around to using.

As I said, it needs to be Linux based as I don't want to deal with constant Windows changes that I don't need. I never did understand why Microsoft didn't develop WHS into a proper home server. But Linux seems much more stable anyway.

The clients don't really matter as I edit recordings before putting them on my TrueNAS box. But I will probably look at Jellyfin and rip my DVD/Blurays at some point too. I have a few Kodi machines but I never watch live TV.

I just have no experience of running a PVR server and all that entails. Plus I have not run any media applications on Linux.

My satellite card says it supports IPTV but I have no idea what that means?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom