1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which PSU?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by MartinY, Apr 18, 2005.

1. MartinY

MartinY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a PSU for my new HTPC build :D

Spec: P4 650 (3.4 Ghz, 64bit), Asus P5AD2-E-Premium MOBO and the 256Mb XFX GeForce 6800. Approx 2.4 Tb of hard drive space (8x 300Mb hard drives).

Could run either a fan (if quiet) or a fanless PSU as the box will not be in the lounge. What power and make (and model!) should I go for?

Confused by choice!

Martin

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Akasa Paxpower 460W? Seems to get good reviews. I have the 400W version and it's as quiet as a mouse (although it doesn't squeak.)
    Once I'd bought it though, had to go around searching for quiet everything else, and now my hard drives are doing my nut!!!

3. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the Akasa 460w, and while it seemed quiet when I had a fanned ATi card, when I swapped it for a fanless Nvidia, it started to make a lot more noise. The Nvidia cards require more power I'm told, so guess that makes the PSU work harder and fan spin faster.
    With a power hungry system like yours I'd be catious (I'm assuming the 650 processer is hungrier than my 540) about using the Akasa.