1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which PS2?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by t-force, Apr 12, 2004.

1. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I'm currently thinking of getting a PS2 to sit alongside my Gamecube. I'm just stuck wondering which avenue to go down:

1. Standard UK shop-bought model
    2. US Import model
    3. Modded model

I've got a PAL Gamecube, but the majority of my games are US (I use Freeloader), as my TV accepts prog scan, and there are plenty of games that aren't coming out over here for ages (Mario Golf anyone?). As far as I know, there isn't a Freeloader-type product on the market for the PS2, so that option doesn't appear open to me.

Is it worth going for an import machine, and does modding make a machine multi-region (I know a lot of the PS1 mods were for enabling copied games, and not necessarily import games)? Do different mods do different things?

Pardon my ignorance, but my knowledge of the PS2 is nowhere near as good as that of the Cube.

Can anyone help? :lease:

Thanks in advance.

Toby

2. wod

wod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    go for the us model because a modded machine you wont be able to play online games, if your wanting to do that plus all us games have progressive scan modes and not all uk games are converted properly and buying us games will be cheaper

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    Hi T-Force,

If you are going to play imports then you deffinately need a modded PS2. You can use swap discs but they are not as good nor as effective as a good modchip. The Ripper2 and DMS3 are two very good chips to go for and modders will usually fit these for around £50-£60 including chip. Other chips include the Messiah 2 - does a good job but I find that the 2 mentioned above are better.

You can buy the PS2's pre modded for reasonable prices and you may as well go down this route if, like yourself you do not yet own a PS2.

There are loads of great Jap RPG's, the Sega ages series and stuff like GT4 prologue that you can't play unless you have a modded PS2. Infact most of my games these days are imports. Most stuff also comes out over in Japan and the US before it does here.

The modchips I mention above make your PS2 multi region for games and DVD's, allow you to play backups (obviously you must own the original for this to be legal) and even (in the case of the DMS3) allow you to run MP3 programs etc using the devolution software.

If you want to play imports and if you want to play the best games first then a modded machine is a must IMO.

Oh and in response to the previous post - if you get a dms3 chip then you can disable it to allow you to play online without the chip being detected. If you go down the imported US model route you will not be able to play JAP or EU games on it and you will have to get a step up transformer to run the machine at the correct voltage.

4. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    T-Force,
    Whats with this freeloader thing? sounds interesting and I hadn't heard of it before now :)rolleyes: have to admit, my cube is purely mariokart console so far). My tv supports proggresive scan and the idea of getting mario golf early is pretty tempting idea:D
    Oh, and also is it only the US games that support the Prog Scan?

5. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Freeloader is a boot disk enabling the use of imports.

My recommendation for t-force is a DMS3 modded PS2 from www.londonconsole.com . You can play any region games and the advantage of having a UK PS2 underneath is the ability to play Region2 PAL DVDs, buy random PAL titles on a whim in the UK, and not need a stepdown :)

6. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Tetlee,

As SJ said, Freeloader allows you to play import games on a UK Cube. It costs about £15-20, and works very simply - just put the disk in the Cube, let it boot up, then select the region of game you're putting in, and Bob's your uncle. I've yet to come across a game that version 1.06b (the version in general distribution) can't play. Only US and Japanese Cube games support Prog Scan, and even using those games doesn't absolutely guarantee you'll be able to get it (I don't have a problem, but apparently some UK Cubes can't do it). You'll need a component cable however, to take advantage of prog scan.

SJ: thanks for your advice. I'm looking into it now.

Toby

7. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One game that won't work - the excellent Donkey Konga. You can't save your progress. Everything else is ok though :)

8. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Well, I have to say I didn't know that, although I do know regarding save games that, although US + UK savegames can share a memory card, Japanese saves have to be on a different card (something to do with the character set I believe).

SJ: it doesn't look as if www.londonconsole.com are offering the DMS3 mod any more - they're now doing the Matrix MXL2 mod instead. Any difference in performance? Will that mod also enable multi-region PS1 game use?

Thanks.

9. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last time I saw Will, the guy that does the modding, he reckoned that the MXL2 was a better quality chip. DMS3 has been a little fussy with the more recent revisions of PS2, guess I was lucky :)

The (presumably) official MXL2 site suggests it does everything the DMS3 does. www.star-services.info are also worth a look if you want a DMS3 instead - mine was from there cos I got impatient with london console ;) - great service, and my PS2 has had a fair amount of use (4months old now, 60 hours of FF8, 70 hours of FFX2, god knows how many hours of Pro Evo)!

I'd suggest blindly going with londonconsole, at least on the strength of what people I know have experienced. The mod scene seems to change quite quick, I fully expect my DMS3 to be primitive in two or three years!