Which PS2 Scart lead?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Dan666, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im looking for a Scart lead for my PS2 - so far Ive found items by 4Gamers, Blaze, Gameplay etc, as well as the overpriced official Sony item.

I know all of these use RGB signals, but do they all support widescreen switching and channel selection signals like other Scart equipment?

I would think that the Sony item would do this but Im not keen on shelling out £30 if the other makes have the same capabilities for around £5-£15.

Thanks

2. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use the blaze scart from gameplay on my widescreen tv.. very good bit of kit..

3. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a full loaded Gameplay RGB scart for ps2 new & boxed yours at a price I was thinking about £7 inc P&P pm me if interested
    maybe we come to a deal

:smashin:

4. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I bought the official Sony cable for £30 and it's certainly better than the third party effort I had before but not £15 worth of better.
    I don't rate the output from the PS2 as being much good and games using the half height buffer just compound the issue.

5. wod

wod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    the blaze ultimate scart lead is a good one at 15 quid in hmv , game etc

6. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well Ive just bought a Gamester Professional AV/Scart Cable from Comet for £9.95.

The quality oif the cable and connectors is pretty good, the plug Scart plug itself is metal - The picture is now definatly sharper and more vibrant than composite.

Unfortunatley, It doesnt seem to have the two features I've described above - it doesnt switch the TV to the correct AV input when the PS2 is switched on, and it wont switch the TV to Widescreen when it should. I currently have the screen setting (in the PS2s configuration menu) set to Full, although I have tried 16:9 and this hasnt worked either. I've been testing it with GT3 which is set to 16:9.

Im assuming the PS2 does ouput these signals in the first place... ? Do I have everything set correctly? Or does this cable need to go back???

Cheers

7. Veganian

Veganian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know I'm more than 7 years late to this thread but I know there are still a lot of PS2 users out there so I thought I'd reply anyway!

I don't rate the output from the PS2 much either. I have both types (original and slimline) and the video output is pretty rubbish on both. Having said that, upgrading to a decent RGB cable plugged into an RGB input on the TV makes a huge improvement to the picture quality (but still no auto aspect switching etc.) I bought a Gamester Pro gold RGB scart last year for a fiver. It was brilliant but also a bit dodgy, since it's now developed a fault.

The optical audio output from the PS2 is rubbish too, since they didn't even use dolby digital stereo or surround. Just plain old stereo, so my surround processor uses Pro Logic (ancient technology!) unless I switch it to stereo mode. This makes the surround output option on the PS2 pointless. Unless I'm missing something, which I probably am!

Still, it remains amazing for the games, which is why I still have the PS2!

8. nebno6

nebno6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    component is the way to go as most modern TVs can handle it

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I bought a boxed Joytech PS2 RGB scart lead from poundland recently. It was the poundland in taunton, somerset. Seemed good value and of course can be used with ps1 and ps3 too. Has the lightgun connector as well. However I haven't actually tried it yet but if your near a poundland worth a look.

10. ahxnccj

ahxnccj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i alwayz use the blaze scart from gameplay on my t.v.

11. Alty08

Alty08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    fyi: