1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which PS2 online games should i get?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by H4r7y, Jun 18, 2004.

1. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as xbox-live wont take all debit cards to activate it, ive had to resort to ps2 online instead but i dont really know which are the games to get hold of to play online.
    obviously ive heard of socom but is it any good? and also looking for others as well
    :)

2. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have i asked a stupid question or something?
    surely there must be a list or something with decent ps2 online games?
    :confused:

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Only just!!!. Yes SOCOM is good, as is its sequel. Need For Speed Underground is also good fun, if a bit too 'Chav Boy' for my liking. And SSX3 is also a good laugh online and can be picked up nice and cheap.

As for the credit card thing for live, can you ask a mate or something??. Or why not do a search on google for a CC Number!!!!(but then again maybe not a) Or apply for a card with someone(egg, mint etc), get the number from it, then throw it away so you can't spend anymore money on it.

4. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

LOL!
    im not really after doing any porridge mate. i dont want to ask anyone to do it for me and im not signing up to any credit cards as gaming on a console simply doesnt warrant the messing around.
    but thx for the ps2 games youve mentioned ill have a look into them

cheers

5. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cant you borrow your Parents CC or a Mates CC to sign up with - I know a load of people who have done this for Live - Its already prepaid using the Live set and the only thing you could get charged for is the premium downloads if you decide to download them - you could quite easily give your mate/parents the small fee for them.
    You really are missing out on online console gaming if you just go with the PS2 as its very very badly supported over here, and not a patch on xbox live.

6. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    splinter cell pandora tomorrow online may be worth a look. im a pc gamer of this title and its the mutts nutts :)

7. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Splinter cell pandora tomorrow isn't worth going online with unless you have an xbox.

I'd stick with pc online gaming, the ps2 online is notorious to say the least.

8. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive tried every person i know and non of them are happy 'lending' me their CC number.
    so im stuck
    ive sent emails to microsoft and apparently they are looking into other ways to pay, but they didnt sound like it was going to be any time soon
    :(

9. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    They dont have to lend you the CC they could enter the details themselves - its password protected (the pass is part of the CC number) so you couldnt get at the numbers that easily.

10. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no but they can still be charged for things that are out of there control, ie when it finishes and if i downloaded any content. besides i wouldnt want to use anyone elses details, as far as im concerned i shouldnt have to.
    its up to microsoft to pull their fingers out and get some other payment methods going.

11. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,334
    I think this forum just dosent have so many PS2 onliners... but no not a stupid question.

There's a vaguely partial list at Play.com here: http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=promo&r=PS2&id=107 I dont know how often they update it, as its obviously missing Splinter Cell:pT, and Champions of Norrath is out this Friday too.

As for your question;
    SOCOM2 is still "it" apparently - 4000-odd players at busy times, down to 500 at the wee hours of the morning (obviously poor compared to the USA's 20K+).
    Splinter Cell : Pandora Tormrrow - maybe 100 players in the UK servers? But its such a shocker trying to set up games with your friends (implementation is very poor), the play itself is ok and different to S2 which is probably the main attraction.
    Hardware online arena - i believe still gets numbers, and is apparently a fun blaster, but i dont own this.
    Need for speed Underground - again i dont own.
    A couple of soccer games.

Anything else has so few numbers its not worth mentioning (XIII and Warhammer 40K: Firewarrior which i own for example).

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I dabbled with PS2 online but only have SSX3 and NFSU. Found playing online a breeze to set up and the service was great (didn't drop me out or lag). The games were fun but the experience wasn't a patch on playing against a mate in the same room so it just never get's used now. I'll probably give it another bash when GT4 comes out as the GT AI has never been brilliant and playing that with 5 or 6 other people would be a blast!

My advice - if you have friends that play PS2 and are local then get them round for some multiplayer gaming. If not then I guess online multiplayer is usually better than the console AI and although not as established as XBox live everything works well and smoothly.

13. Lameway

Lameway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hardware Arena Online is great fun - no brains blaster.

If you want to cut down on those phone bills, EyeToy Chat is coming out soon - basically let's you 'do a Leslie Grantham' and chat to other people however you like, and play games at the same time (no, not in *that* way ;) )

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow is ok online - if you haven't played it before on Xbox, get it for PS2 and you won't be too disappointed.

There are some great games coming out in the future (like Killzone) but no real belters right now...

14. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Harty, according to this forum post http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=8014591 which is the official uk xbox forum you can use Visa Electron Debit cards to access 'live'. its the 11th post by a guy called reanimation265, wether or not this is true i can't say, but could be worth a try.