1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which ps2 cable to go for??

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Bobz, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Bobz

Bobz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I own a Uk ps2 aswell as a US one.
    My tv is a Philips 32" 100hz widescreen which has 2 scart sockets (one of which is RGB compatible) and an S-video socket but its not a HDTV so no component socket :(

I use an rgb scart cable (which was originaly bought for the Ps1) for the Uk ps2. It's pretty basic; no gold plated connectors.
    I use a Joytech gold plated RGB scart lead for the US ps2 which was bought for £6.99 from play.com ( http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searchtype=PS2&searchstring=scart&page=search&Go.x=0&Go.y=0 )

I want to upgrade the cables used to connect the ps2s to my tv and would greatly appreciate some help.

I would prefer to use an S-video lead because this would fix the off-centre picture frame problem associated with using ps2 scart leads.

The best ps2 s-video lead I have come across is the "Monster Gamelink 300" lead.( Anyone know any site that can deliver this lead to europe?)
    The best RGB scart lead i have come across is the IXOS XPP01: http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...high-end-playstation-cable-xpp01/display.html

Which of these 2 leads do you think would give better picure quality for games? Or do you know of any other high quality ps2 scart or s-video leads?( I'm not interested in dvd playback quality as i have a dvd player)

If you think i shoud go for an S-video lead, could you direct me to a good quality 3-way S-video switcher?
    if you think i should go for the rgb scart, what do you think of using the following scart switch box: http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=63&products_id=904 ?

Thanks for taking the time to read such a long post!

2. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Welcome to the forum

You should go for RGB scart over S-video everytime, s-video is a good signal but RGB scart is much better with far superior colour deffenition and seperation, you tend to get a cross hatching effect with s-video reds being the main culprit and tend to loose edge sharpness unlike RGB which is or should be pin sharp.
    The bigger your screen the more you notice this, i have only just got a ps2 and for now i am using a Blaze Ultimate Scart cable,the RGB signal is very good and looks great on my 42 inch plasma.
    I got it because of the ntsc-uk games forum, all ps2 owners rave about this cable, it retails for around £10-£15 however i got mine off ebay still sealed for less than a fiver.

In answer to your post the iXOS scart cable you linked to looks very good indeed but don't overlook the Blaze cable, the scart splitter also looks good for the money but how well it performs is another matter

3. Bobz

Bobz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply fuzzybee.

After reading what you had to say I've decided to go for RGB scart.

I'm a bit p :censored: d off though because i saw the IXOS cable for only £17.99 instead of the R.R.P of £29.99 from www.tvcables.co.uk but they can't ship it to Ireland :( .

Could you link me to that ntsc-uk forum where they talk about the Blaze scart lead? No worries if you can't, its not too important.

I've read that when connceting a dvd player to to a tv that s-video can sometimes give a better picture than rgb, so i guess that a good s-video lead is pretty much the same as a good rgb scart lead as far as dvd player leads are concerned? What do you think about this?

Thanks again for the help.

4. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    Bobz - i have a Monster Gamelink s-video cable that i no longer use. So if you wish to go the S-video route you can buy mine if you like, £10. Send me a PM if interested.

5. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Me got blaze rgb scart cable too. It good. It produce best quality pq on my plasma - better than DVD, Sky+.

6. Bobz

Bobz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iamtheone - i got an ICQ account through Trillian and added ure UIN. I'll be on tomorrow at around 12 noon for a while

7. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72

The ntsc-uk forum can be found here http://www.ntsc-uk.com/

Regarding the s-video v's RGB, i have yet to see any dvd player looking better via a good s-video cable compared to a good RGB scart cable.
    While it may be true some display devices offer a distinctly average RGB picture and some dvd players the same via a RGB signal, however if you look closely to both signals you will/should notice how much better RGB is.

8. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    bobz - i added you to my icq list. i don't use it all that much now, so it will probably be easier if you send me a Private Message on this forum(click my name to send me a private message)

9. wod

wod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i use the ixos scart cable with one of those argos scart switchers and get great picture quality

10. andhoey

andhoey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all , im lookin for the best way to hook up my ps2 to my pioneer vsx-d814. all my sources are plugged through the amp with a single s-video lead going upto my pj.i can get an s-video +2phono £18 from tvcables . would i hear any difference if i used a toslink aswell ? ive heard that a lot of games are only 4.1 so would i be just as good using pro logic II with 2 phono?

11. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Yes go for the optical connection, hardly any games are 4.1 if you are refering to the DTS compatability. As for PLII you still get this throught the optical cable, remember though that the game has to have a PLII soundtrack to get the full benefit of discreet five channel sound PLII offers.
    Even though PLII enhances all stereo sources to hear it to it's full potential like i have said the game has to have the option aswell, although most big releases seem to have this option now anyway :smashin:

12. andhoey

andhoey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: cheers #11 will do that