Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which provider??

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by David167, Jun 16, 2004.

1. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently signed up to Giganews $22.99 for 20gig/month, which I'm looking to change to unlimited download with another provider (which if anyone has been following my previous thread, due to my fudge ups i've already passed that limit in a week!)

Purely on price, I'm interested in either Astraweb $15 unlimited per month, 15days retention and 99% completion, or UsenetServer, same per month, slightly higher 18days retention and 94% completion.

I'm not too concerned about retention (the plan being when i've finished with Giganews downloading the older stuff out there, and then downloading new stuff as it appears), but Astraweb seems to have a higher completion rate, only 5%, who's counting!

I wonder if anyone is familiar with either of these providers and can give me their opinion on both.

Cheers

David

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    how about newshosting $14.95 a month unlimited 18 days rentention.. seems to have had everything up there as I have missed no downloads ?

3. lagertop

lagertop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Another vote here for newshosting, at the moment I cant fault them.
    Regards
    Mark

4. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got Usenetsever and can't fault them. There download is maxed at 2MB so if you have anything faster then it might not be the one.

5. webbp

webbp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have Astraweb.
    They always seem to have all parts.
    On rare occasions they dont you can use the par files to fix that.
    But that tends to be 1 or 2 blocks at most.
    Did have a pay-by download account $10 per 25Gb but I was topping that up 3 times a month :)
    So have now switched to Unlimited for $15/month.
    Miss the faster download speed, but still get what I need quicker than using torrents.

6. mag01

mag01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    What speed downloads are you getting from Astraweb unlimited ?

Mark

7. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies guys, I guess they're all pretty much the same.

On a different subject, I use xnews as my newsreader and was wondering what happens if a server goes down while trying to download. Does xnews pick things up once the server is back on and can you pause the download and resume it later, say if you have to reboot the pc for whatever reason?

8. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Xnews: Usually when downloading...when a file has downloaded Xnews puts a green dot on the icon to show it has been decoded....if the server timesout it waits for like 30secs to retry or goes to the next file and comes bak to that particular file later.

If you want to stop halfway throught then just press the stop icon and close xnews...it will remember what files have been downloaded (i.e green dot) and then you can carry on from where you left off. Say if you downloaded 33 parts out 50 for one file then just que up that file and as long as you save it to same location where the incomplete file is then Xnews will usually carry on from that part and complete the file..

if that makes sense!! :)

9. webbp

webbp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Astraweb Unlimited DSL is limited to 2Mb/s and 4 connections
    Pay by download has no restrictions on speed or connections.

10. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just increased my adsl line to 1mb, so 2mb restriction isn't a prob. What does 4 connections mean?

11. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    If you use something like newsleecher you can specify the number of connections to use at once.. to maximise your bandwidth download.. I have 4 connections with news hosting and was getting 2.8mps on my 3 meg link..

Really impressed with newsleecher.. so much better than xnews..

Matt

12. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have one connection running on xnews, which as far as I can tell, is downlading @ the max speed of my current connection which is 512k. How does adding an extra connection maximise the bandwidth when it's already maxed out?

13. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I think its to do with using all the bandwidth all the time you are downloading..check out www.newsleecher.com as they have a faq and support forum.. cool bit of software though :)

Also with more than one connection you can checkout other newsgroups whilst downloading from another..

14. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm with pipex who actually provide very good free newsgroups.

I use newsleecher too as well, and I'm just downloading gladiator to see what all the fuss is about. I've only got 512k so I'll let you know in about 50 hours :hiya:

I only tried my first hd clip 2 days ago and I was hooked. what format will this film be in when I unrar it?

Will it just be a case of playing it through wm9?

15. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    It will be a .ts format playable through VLC, Elecard (or Windows Media Player so long as you have the Elecard CODECs loaded)

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

It doesn't as such:)
    If your news server caps the download below your maximum speed then opening a second connection means you can make more efficent use of your download speeds. Either download files from the same batch you are already getting or download something else from a totally different group.

At the mo I am back on the NTL 600k (approx 72k per second) connection so with the Claranews cap I have one connection maxed out at 60k/second and 12k/second doing nothing. Open a second connection in Xnews means I can get two connections running at 36k/second each thus squeezing every last drop of speed out of the system:)

17. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it easy enough to setup a 2nd connection on xnews? Is that the same as adding another server? Does xnews news then know to download your queued files over the 2 connections?

18. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ok that seems easy enough.

Right now, I'm going to be running it to my plasma via vga and I'm wondering...

Should I use powerstrip to out put to my plasma's native res? or should I just pump it out at 1024x768 and let the plasma scale it itself?

Cheers.

19. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Native res I would have thought

20. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Whilst I don't use Xnews :eek: I would have thought it would be in the Server setup/properties tab. An option to set the number of connections per server.

21. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

It's not quite as straight forward as Newsleecher (had a look at that client since it's been mentioned) which lets you specify how many connections you want.
    In Xnews you would either create a brand new server (duplicate of an existing one perhaps) and then download from both of them at the same time OR queue up a batch of files using one connection and download from the open newsgroup using a second connection.

22. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just for info, I gave it a go and downloaded gladiator.

Here's my views I originally posted on another forum.

Over the last week , I've been comparing hi-def to dvd on a sd plasma.

My panel is 852x480 which is exactly the same as ntsc dvd's. I've been sending my panel a 1080 signal and comparing the same film (Gladiator).

Firstly it's like comparing an N64 to a Gamecube....or a ps1 to a ps2. The dfferences are major.

I don't pretend to know all the processes involved, but I'll try and explain exactly what I see.

Firstly the dvd is the region 1 version of Gladiator and is 2:35:1 ratio.

This means on a widescreen tv you get a border top and bottom.

Now for the confusing bit... my laptop's native res is 1024x786. I play my hi-def source in it and output in widescreen to my panel. I don't know what happens, but I know what I see.

Firstly I see a full widescreen image. There's information top and bottom, that is missing from the dvd.

Secondly the colours are amazingly clear and bright, the dvd looks muddy in comparison.

Thirdly, there's more detail in the image. A lot more. When comparing them it looks a lot sharper and crisp. Little things like skin texture become more apparent.

I ran the dvd through component and the hi-def through vga at exactly the same points. I paused both and compared images in the same scene.

I wanted to use windvd to take screen captures of both sources and post them here. I can capture the image for the dvd fine, but the hi-def image crashes windvd. I've checked the details and it's pumping out about 15kbps at 1920 x 1080.

I tried taking a screen capture on my pc, but the image it produces is squashed into the top half of the picture.

I'll try and get a decent screen capture of the hi def image and post it here.

23. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

24. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I only did it as an exercise to see if it was worth sourcing hi-def to a sd plasma.

I'll be looking to source more hi-def material of stuff that I own as the difference is huge.

By the way I took the advice of someone who said to rename the ts file to trp so that I could use windvd. Worked like a charm.

I tried streaming over my 11g network and it failed miserably. I may need to revisit my antenna placement.

Anybody know if the Kiss-600 player will play ts/trp files? Anyone involved in dialogue with Kiss Technology.

Could be a winner.