Which Proper "Point and Shoot"

Dave

Distinguished Member
Hi all, I've decided that it's about time I upgraded my 5 year old point and shoot camera.

What I'm looking for is a proper point and click compact, I don't really care about manual settings or any of that guff, I have my DSLR for that. What I want is something I can chuck in my pocket, pull it out, point it and get a decent shot.

I've been looking at 2, the Panny TZ10 and the Sony TX5. I'm leaning more towards the TX5 cos of it's size and the fact that all the bits get nicely covered by the slidey thing. Plus it's water resistant etc. I'm not set by any means though so any input would be appreciated.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I know a couple of chaps with the TZ10 and they can't rate it enough. I've used a TZ5 and that gave fantastic results, so the TZ10, I would imagine, is even better.
Plus it will do full HD video should you desire...

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Also consider the WB600 on special offer at the moment for about £130/£140 - very similar to TZ7 - I've currently got both and have posted some comparison shots - and at the moment think I'll be keeping the WB600 but need to do some daylight comparison shots as well before making mind up finally...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/phot...ic-tz7-vs-samsung-WB600-test-shot-series.html

Also did a set of low light shots on a night out using WB600...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/photo-sharing/1307436-night-out-long-set.html

Jim

stu.artd

Have you considered the Canon S95 or Ixus 300 HS ?
Both have faster lenses than the two you mentioned and could be worth a look.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the input, I'll have a look at the other models mentioned.

I should also have said that smaller is better which is where the Sony does well.

I'll do some more research then go and have a play before I make my mind up.

nikonuser11

Last edited:

YankTank

Dave......I too have just had the same conversation with myself.....I have a nice DSLR but dont want to cart it round all the time, want a nice compact......point, shoot and forget.......after loads of internet surfing and review scouring I plumped for the TZ10 - have it in my mitts now.

Quite a few other cameras were considered also, like the Sony HX5 which gets pukka reviews.....I finally went for the Lumix partly due to the strong resale values - i tend to sell kit on before it wears out so this is important to me. I find you can go round and round reviews without making a decision if you look too long !! I have had a little fiddle with it and so far the shots look quite amazing, even compared to my A700 - the auto WB looks very impressive indeed, and so far the (indoor) shots look tack sharp. Very easy menus.

There have been some amazing deals on this camera (see Hot UK Deals) with purchase price as low as £155 (with cashback/Panasonic redemption) - £30 back from Panasonic via redemption till jan.

Let me know if you need any more info!! Dont know if you use a Mac but the software supplied is not for Mac OS so wondering how to get round this at the mo (for video ed/import)

Mike.P®

I have just (hopefully) sold my backup DSLR so I can buy a decent camera that doesn't require the full backpack experience.

Am currently decided on the Canon G12 ... or the LX5 ... or the ....

Dave

Distinguished Member
Thanks again for the input, I won't be buying till early next year but am just sorting out my choices now in case a real bargain crops up.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Right, I've been to a few shops and had a look.

It's still very much a choice between the Sony and the TZ10.

The TZ10 is a little bigger than I'd like but you do get that huge range on the lens. The Sony looks great but I feel that the pq may be compromised with that tiny little lens.

In addition the TZ10 still has the cashback offer where as the Sony model I was looking at does not.

So TZ10 for me, if anyone spots a real steal then let me know.:thumbsup:

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Right, I've been to a few shops and had a look.

It's still very much a choice between the Sony and the TZ10.

The TZ10 is a little bigger than I'd like but you do get that huge range on the lens. The Sony looks great but I feel that the pq may be compromised with that tiny little lens.

In addition the TZ10 still has the cashback offer where as the Sony model I was looking at does not.

So TZ10 for me, if anyone spots a real steal then let me know.:thumbsup:
What's the best price you've seen so far Dave on the TZ10 ?

P.S. "Huge" ? - "only" 12x ;)

JIm

Dave

Distinguished Member
What's the best price you've seen so far Dave on the TZ10 ?

P.S. "Huge" ? - "only" 12x ;)

JIm
Currently it's best buy at £215.99, plus the panasonic and quidco cashback makes it around £186.

As for the zoom range, the DSLR equivalent would be 24-300mm. Not bad for a compact and that's optical zoom, not the silly digital zooms.

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Currently it's best buy at £215.99, plus the panasonic and quidco cashback makes it around £186.

As for the zoom range, the DSLR equivalent would be 24-300mm. Not bad for a compact and that's optical zoom, not the silly digital zooms.
LOL - yeah I know - I was only joking 'cos the Sammy has 16x Optical :D

I'll keep an eye out for any better prices Dave :)

JIm

YankTank

The price for the TZ10 seem to be on the up......Amazon have increased the price in the past week by £11....the Amazon price is usually a good barometer for general Market prices! It's a crackin camera though!

Dave

Distinguished Member
Dixons now have the TZ10 in stock for £200.99, including quidco and cashback that's around £165.

Do I pull the trigger or hope it drops more after Christmas?

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Dixons now have the TZ10 in stock for £200.99, including quidco and cashback that's around £165.

Do I pull the trigger or hope it drops more after Christmas?
Go for it - have you checked for any discount codes ?

Jim

YankTank

Well seeing as you have waited till now, why not wait till boxing day online deals? Keep yr eye on HUKD as the
Bods on there have been [email protected]@t hot at posting the latest tz10 deals........I think the cheapest deal on this camera was about 4 weeks ago when Harrods were doing a £100 discount on online purchases over £250......hold fire now I guess!

Dave

Distinguished Member
Well seeing as you have waited till now, why not wait till boxing day online deals? Keep yr eye on HUKD as the
Bods on there have been [email protected]@t hot at posting the latest tz10 deals........I think the cheapest deal on this camera was about 4 weeks ago when Harrods were doing a £100 discount on online purchases over £250......hold fire now I guess!
Yeah I don't mind waiting.

See how much dosh Santa brings.:D

YankTank

I was out with the family on a post gut busting Christmas Day lunch walk, and snapped this - im quite blown away by it really as there IS NO POST PROCESSING (as you can see by the wonky horizon which I have not fixed yet) and as I shot it in full auto mode.

The thing im most impressed with is the cameras interpretation of the correct exposure for detail and tonal range, given the extreme contrasts in the frame. Having thought about it, im not sure I would have achieved a better result with my DSLR.....or it would have taken me a lot longer than 3 seconds or so to get it right. Truly impressed with the camera.....

Dave

Distinguished Member
Well I finally took the plunge and got neither.:D

Managed to bag a brand new Sony TX1 from Argos ebay outlet for £130. Should be here tomorrow so I'll update then.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 21st October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG SIGNATURE OLED R TV now available in South Korea
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display teams with Disney for OLED Projects
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Campfire Audio updates Vega and Dorado earphones
  • By Andy Bassett