1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which projectory is best?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by paiger, Mar 25, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a budgety of about £2000 and wondered if I should buy the Panny, sonyy, Canony, Mitsibushiy or Necy. ALso, what is the new Sanyoy likey? Any helpy would be most welcomy.

Thanky

Paigery

2. tk

tk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been told that Sanyo PLV-30 or clones are the best because of amazing low black level and high contrast ratio. Also there is support for PAL progressive.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Get them demo'd mate, it's the only way. I own one of these, and reckon it's the best, but you may think different. They're all pretty good, check the blacks, noise level, stray light, in your own setting is best, and if they're actually the one you're going to buy, check V. carefully for dead pixels! Mine does progressive, don't buy one that doen't or you may regret it.

Most of all have fun spending your hard earned on a great toy!

Martin

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW..do you own a pvl 30..would be interested to see how it compares with the panny...are you running it from a dvd player, or a HCPC. Do you find widescreen images suffer because it is a 4:3 projector..or do you get a good 16:9 image...albeit smaller with black/grey bars at tope and bottom?
    Best regards
    LittleT2

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, mine's an NEC, it's 4:3, the 16:9 or wider image is fine, it's funny how you don't seem to pay for the extra pixels to make a 4:3 over the same width 16:9, and remember how many TV programs are still broadcast in 4:3. If you only intend to project DVD's this is not an issue (except for snow white, my daughter's favourite!) but most music videos, sport and older dramas, and VHS material is all 4:3. The trick is apparently to use velcro and non-reflective black material to mask the picture if the grey grates too much. That will be so particularly if you PJ is not very bright, or lacks contrast. Ideally, 800+lumens and 400:1 might be a spec to consider. We run ours in eco mode except for the Grand Prix, which occurs in daylight. Eco is 850, full power 1200 lumens.

It runs from a HCPC, and s-video via a scart lead from NTL digital. Must do something about that... maybe set up my TV card better. Tried next door's denon 2800, but it's nowhere near as good even with a region 1 disc. I have a 'native resolution' feature which we didn't try though, to display pixel for pixel from the disc.

As I say, it may not be the best for everything, but it's quiet, bright and contrasty, anything else wrong, hey, that's rock n' roll, man

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paiger,

Panasonic PT-AE100;)

Good to see a professor of English looking into HC:D :D :D

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume by 'Panasonic' you are refering to a Panny projectory are you? Do you think that's the besty one then?

Paigery.

8. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Whats the jokey paigery. It doesn'ty takey muchy to amusey youy. Have all youry 350 posty been like thisy:confused: :D :confused: :D methinky he doesn'ty really needy to knowy about projectory, he just likesy the soundy of his y'ies:D

9. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That hurtys me deep insidy. Actually, in all seriousness, I am looking for a pj, between Sony and Panasonic now. I was just taking the mick out of the continued use of the word 'Panny', something I find most tiresome. Don't worry, I'll get over it.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Check many previous threads, Sony do not seem to have the finest after sales. Are you going to use a HCPC or player with this PJ, you need to think about driver support if HCPC, as neither of these PJ's are a computer standard resolution, and will need a driver.

PS pet names for inanimate objects are one of my phobias, trying to break my 6 year old of the habit, 'can I see snowy whitey Daddy?'

11. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be using my reciever as to switch Svideo signals from a variety of sources from DVD to console but may in future want to hook up my PC to it. I think I'm mainly interested in quietness of use, the picture quality not being a massive priority, I've used a £1200 Sony data projector and found it to be quite capable but way too noisy. Sound is my priority, a good picture will do.

I quite like the look of the HS1y but will demo a few when I get round to heading to the big smoke(y).

S

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Understand about the noise, it's all OK if all you watch is Pulp Fiction, I'm at war with noise from my PC. My NEC is quite quiet, it's on a ceiling mount not on the table in front of us though.

13. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For PC's, check out www.quietpc.com . There stuff really does work as well as it says on the site. I have their fans in 3 PC's and you can barely hear them above room noise and from 2 metres away they are silent. I can recommend their stuff to anybody who has to sit at a PC all day and gets driven mental by the racket of cheap fans and PSU's.