1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lee_car, Sep 21, 2005.

1. lee_car

lee_car

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi im very new to projectors and to be honest ive never seen one working (except pubs etc) am i right in thinking they are better pq than a plasma? i only want it to watch dvds mainly at night and will prob get a pull down screen, what would be a good cheap second hand projector to start off with? if i like it i will buy a better model but as i say im new to this i dont really want to spend too much at the mo,what is the limit to how close you can have it to the screen?

thanks lee

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    my advice? find a shop near you that has a demo room, ask them to show you a budget range DLP and a budget range LCD in action......then watch a plasma.......see what you prefer.......then ask them to show you a higher range model (both DLP and LCD), say £2,500-£3,500 (assuming your budget could get that high)..

given that you said it would mostly be for films later at night (ie its dark) i think you will find a PJ a very happy experience.....i know i do, well chuffed to get mine (look for a thread in this section called Woohooo im gonna be HD, lol, its my thread about getting my PJ)

plenty of people on here can help give you advice on stuff, but to be honest, buying something like this i would always try before i buy, u dont have to buy it in the shop u try in of course, you can try it, like it, go online and find it cheaper...heh....just make sure u use a reputable company so you dont end up with a duff product.....i personally recommend Sevenoaks (a shop, they dont do online due to the ranges they stock not allowing it), you may not get it at the cheapest price but the service you get from them is fantastic, friendly staff, good stock, happy to give advice that isnt as sales biased as other shops can be, and if u lucky they might chuck in some cables as a bonus...heh....however there are other hifi shops out there that do just as good from what i've heard....so hunt around ;-)

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    oops, didnt answer your question about the screen...

for how close the PJ has to be to the screen, go to www.projectorcentral.com and look on the left hand menu towards the bottom, there is a link for the Calculator Pro, there you can choose from different makes and models of PJ's and then you can choose distances of how far you'd like to put it away from screen and it will tell you the screen size it will give, or you can do it other way around, choose screen size and it will show you how far PJ needs to be......

check it out, but its best if you try and narrow down what PJ's u looking at first for your budget as they all have different setups. You could take 2 PJ's, both DLPs, both same resolution, yet one set up 12ft from screen will give a 6ft screen size while the other at same distance from screen will give 8ft screen size...