1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by aj, Jan 8, 2001.

1. aj

aj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am looking at a cheap projector but I do not know a lot about them.

Ideally around 2000 pounds or so, though I will spend more if the difference in quality is very noticable

CRT is out because I cannot have a permanent fixture. I'm told.

Ideally I want.....

16:9 as I like watching my widescreed DVDs in widescree..

s video

good picture quality (I hate blocky pixels)

Im using a denon avc a10 se and poat 10 amps and will have a sony 7700 or pioneer 737 I need a little advice there too.

Thanks in advance for your help

aj

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    AFAIK there's only one projector that meets your requirements, but it costs more than you quote.

The Sony VPL-VW10HT is an excellent projector and is, I think, the only machine on the market that is a native 16x9 device ie, displays 16x9 images using ALL of the available display area. All (?) others are basically 4x3 devices although some have 16x9 modes. In these cases 16x9 images are displayed using only part of the available display area (and are consequently more pixellated, coarser, smaller, etc.)

I think you need to budget about £4k for one of these. I highly recommend them.

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    AJ,

Nijel is quite right, the Sony VW10 is the only Home Theatre LCD with a native 16:9 panel; it's a good projector but twice your budget.

Have a look at the new Sanyo PLV30.

It can handle 16:9, has S-Video and Component inputs. It will take the higher quality Progressive Scan signal from the Pioneer 737 you mention (which means it is future proofed), has excellent contrast, good colour rendition, is small, light, quiet and discreet.

Best of all, it is available for a street price of around £2300 inc VAT.

Good luck.

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Regional Sales Manager-N.England & Scotland
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk