1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kahless725, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am conisidering getting a projector and after reading through the forum a few times I am still non the wiser as to what to get.

My situation is a little different to most. I want the projector to be sited above my bed about 80cm above my head. The brightest the room will ever be will be during the day with the curtains shut. I want to use it to project an image approx 2.4m away of a size somewhere arround 70 to 80 inches (allthough as small as 60inch would be acceptable). As it will be close I need it to be quiet. As I will only be about 80cm away from it I want it to be quiet. I am very suseptable to any flaws eg, screen door, rainbows.

Budget is anywhere up to £2000 allthough I would preffere to keep this to £1300 to be honest.

I have been looking at 3 models in particular (allthough not demo'd yet. Here are the Plus points over the others as far as I can tell:-

Panasonic AE700:-
    Screen door minimiser.(Does the sharp have this?)
    Very adaptable lens that would allow me to try anywhere between 60 and 80 inches quiet happily.
    Brighter.
    Hi Res.
    Lamp seems £100 cheaper than the Sharp

Sharp Z3:-
    Very quiet
    In a comparative review VB was less evident on this projector.
    Self cleaning easy user cleaning.
    Hi Res.
    side venting heat

Infocus 4805:-
    DLP so no VB
    Onboard Farthingy line doubler (Does the Panny or Sharp have anything similar on board?)

Question is which would be the best in my situation. Will the screen door minimiser of the Panasonic and excellent lense mean I can Have a bigger pic or will the VB drive me mad and the noise be too loud.

Will the sharp be too big a screen and not allow me to change it allthough 23db is very quiet

Will the rainbows of the 4805 drive me mad and the low res look naff unless I set it to a smallish 50 inch screen? (What speed colour wheel is there on this projector)

Am I better going for the more expensive models like the Infocus 5700. (Really would be tight to get this)

What about the new Sony with 6000:1 contrast ratio? (whats the contrast ratio of a crt? This will be just under £2000.

If I have to spend it I have to but when I buy I want to get a spare lamp at the same time.

I plan to watch 80% Sky and 20% DVD.

My other idea is to get a 42 inch plasma but to be honest I really want the ability to watch Alfred Hitchcocks Rear Window on the large screen somtime :)

Any advice would be welcome.

Regards
    Robert.

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I think your priorities would be:
    1) Noise level - Sony HS50 £1899 24dB(low power mode)
    Optoma H57 £1899 23dB
    Panasonic AE700 £1300 26dB
    Infocus Screenplay 5700 £2199 ( unknown noise level)
    Sanyo Z3 £1300 26dB
    Infocus Screenplay 4805 £1300 28dB
    2) Pixelation - Sony HS50 - 1280x720 ( should produce no visable pixelation)
    Optoma H57 - 1024x576 ( DLP design so should be good)
    Panasonic AE700 - 1280x720 ( The very best!! No visable pixelation)
    Infocus 5700 - 1024x576 ( DLP design so should be fine)
    Sanyo Z3 - 1280x720 ( excellent, no problem with pixelation)
    Infocus 4805 - 854x480 ( pixelation visable from less than 2x screen width)

3) Suitability - "80% Sky" Sky intends to go High Def in 2006 so you really should have a projector than supports this in it's native format so one with a resolution of at least 1280x720 would be prefered which means the Sony, Panasonic or Z3. The DLP designs , though lower will still produce a fine picture albeit scalled. They are ideal for Pal DVD and current Sky though.
    4)Price - The Panasonic and Sanyo Z3 offer excellent value for money, the others are still superb projectors for the money and the Sony and Optoma although currently unreleased, promise to offer performance unrivaled at this price.

So to summarise, given your budget, needs and performance requirements, I would say the Panasonic AE700 most meets your requirements. If you can wait and can raise the extra money, I'd audition both the Sony HS50 and the Optoma H57 when they are released sometime in November.

3. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers fpr the reply.
    I have read allot of bad stuff about VB on the Panasonic and read allot about green blobs on the Sanyo's and the Panasonic so like the idea of being able to clean the Z3 easily. I am thinking of trying to keep the projector at £1300 rather than going for the £2000 sony if I can help it. Plan is to buy the projector and a spare lamp at the same time as I want the purchase to last a few years.

Another Sanyo + over the Panasonic in this respect is:-
    3 year warranty

Main thing that puts me off it though is a worry I will see the pixels.

Also any idea what the Panny and the Sanyo will do with a 480 line input? Do they line double it up to their res?

Cheers
    Robert.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, all projectors will scale input (up or down) to their native size. The best quality if usually obtained by using a scaler in the DVD or between the DVD and the projector .. or using an HTPC.

It depends on the relative quality of the scalers in question, the Z2's was so-so not sure if the Z3 is any better, but a 480p or 576p will be scaled up to 720p before display.

One more 'plus' for the Z3 is the lens shift, it makes it a lot easier to locate the projector relative to the screen if you can shift the lens .. keystone adjustment is a PQ killer, don't use it!

5. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another plus of the Z3 for my situation (as the room will be dark) is that I will run it in eco mode and thus be able to run it at 23dB.

6. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
  7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Projectorcentral.com is useful for many things, but I wouldn't class product reviews amongst them...... If you want to see decent in-depth reviews of the AE700 or Z3, then check out cine4home.com - babelfish to translate.

S.

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    On further reflection.....

If your viewing distance is 2.4m (8 ft), and you're very susceptable to screendoor, I wouldn't readily recommend any projector to you unless you go and see some in action at the screen size you expect, viewed from the distance you can accomodate. Based on various reports, the AE700 is probably the only candidate because of smoothscreen, but even at that you should see it in action first.

S.

9. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Kahless725

Don’t rule any of the projectors you have mentioned before going for a demo, the flaws that some people refer to such as VB,SD and Rainbows, are in my opinion overstated in many cases. Most people would be pleasantly surprised with the quality of dedicated home cinema projectors these days.

Find yourself a good AV shop and make up your own mind. Happy hunting.

Foghorn