which projector under £1500

Pinkinvader

Established Member
Reaction score
Probably been asked a few times, can someone please give me a newby some helpon buying a projector, budget under £1500. I was looking at the optoma he25e but don't know if it's cheap for a reason? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Probably been asked a few times, can someone please give me a newby some helpon buying a projector, budget under £1500. I was looking at the optoma he25e but don't know if it's cheap for a reason? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Nothing?

check reviews and prices, its user dependent on the various tech available

i.e. if you are susceptible to rainbows then DLP might not be for you

Is gaming important or not then lag may be an issue, is 3d important or not etc

maybe worth getting a good older model second hand than a new cheaper one

more detail is required think, if you can stretch to 1800 you can get a top performer with the 7200 Epson or the upcoming HS40ES

check reviews and prices, its user dependent on the various tech available

i.e. if you are susceptible to rainbows then DLP might not be for you

Is gaming important or not then lag may be an issue, is 3d important or not etc

maybe worth getting a good older model second hand than a new cheaper one

more detail is required think, if you can stretch to 1800 you can get a top performer with the 7200 Epson or the upcoming HS40ES
Thanks for the info, I want one for gaming and movies, not sure what you mean by rainbow? Didn't really want to spend too much as could buy a 4k tv for a couple of grand, although I have been told they are not worth buying for at least a couple of years? Just don't want to spend money and be disappointed. I quite like the idea of 3d but don't think it's essential.
Didn't really want a second hand one due to warranty and bulb life.

Cheers

If you can stretch to just a little more, it looks like the new Sony VPL-HW40ES at £1,850 is superb.

Sony announce new budget VPL-HW40ES 3D Projector | AVForums

It's early days, but some very reputable sources appear to like it a lot. If the early reports are right, it appears to be the best projector between £1k and £2k on the market by some distance. I've not seen one yet myself, I'm basing this on comments in that thread and elsewhere.

Steve W

It would also be my advice, unless you could find a refurbished or ex-demo higher level projector like the Optomas HD82/83/87, Infocus IN82/83, etc.

If not, you could wait a few months and try to save the extra 300£.
It would also ease a future desire for a future upgrade, as you would be getting a much better projector.

not sure what you mean by rainbow?

Cheers

some people watching single chip DLP based projectors see flashing 'Rainbow' images on high contrast scenes which is very distracting and can be headache inducing.

If you can stretch to just a little more, it looks like the new Sony VPL-HW40ES at £1,850 is superb.

Sony announce new budget VPL-HW40ES 3D Projector | AVForums

It's early days, but some very reputable sources appear to like it a lot. If the early reports are right, it appears to be the best projector between £1k and £2k on the market by some distance. I've not seen one yet myself, I'm basing this on comments in that thread and elsewhere.

Steve W
Ok thanks for that I will take a look, also found this model from Roy jowett which sounds promising?RJAV HD30 D65, It is a professional set up optoma hd30, any opinions?

As far as I can see, that's the HD30, but they calibrate it for you in with the price.

It looks like about £300 more, which is probably what you'd pay to get it calibrate yourself.

Steve W
Hd30 any good for a beginner?

Cant you really wait a few months and save the extra 300/350£?
A projector is something you could keep for several years, in the long term, it would be a better investment if you wait until you have the budget to buy a Sony HW40 / Epson TW7200.

Cant you really wait a few months and save the extra 300/350£?
A projector is something you could keep for several years, in the long term, it would be a better investment if you wait until you have the budget to buy a Sony HW40 / Epson TW7200.
Ok many thanks

I demo'd the HW40 last week and paid for it there and then. It really is that good. I had it side by side with the HW55 which is £1000 more and and the images were pretty much identical.

please do your self a big favour and go with the Epson 7200 or the Sony HW40

both these will wipe the floor with everything else that has been mentioned so far

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom