Question which projector to buy ?

grahamricho

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looking for a Projector for around £1000 or less. (less is better)

I went to my local Richer sounds and saw the Benq W1400 which looked good also the Optoma HD50 which seemed the same but the fan seemed a bit louder ?

I wanted to see the Benq w1070 but they could not get it working, also saw the Panasonic PTA6000 which to me was not a wow moment for a grand more...

So any ideas ? Dedicated cinema room, ceiling mounted onto a 110" screen,

I have a chance of a second hand Panasonic 6000 for £850 but I would get piece of mind for a year with the Benq W1400 new from Richer sounds, wish they had the Benq w1070 running because would have loved to see what the difference in a £500 and £900 projector is ?

thanks I just sold my Seleco CRT projector on eBay for £10 ! oh well

Depending on what pj you get, you may find they can be very bright, and you may need to add a neutral density filter to improve the black level. After coming from a CRT, you have probably noticed that difference more than any other.

It's a shame you couldn't see the 1070 in action, but it does get some good reviews from those that have seen it and own it. It's excellent value by all accounts.

Gary

Thanks the 1070 seems a bargain against the w1400 £500 vs £900 is the Benq w1400 that much better?
I know when you see a big screen for the first time its a wow factor but then when you have lived with it a bit you start picking faults with it. So what is the main difference in the two ? The w1400 is a bit brighter ? also has lens shift which i can live without.

W1400 has a very versatile throw range compared to 1070. I bought a W1400 from Richer about a month ago as it is the only projector I could find with a throw that suits the attic room it's going in (sloped ceiling, viewing distance longer than projector can be mounted). Worth checking the difference on one of the many throw calculators on t'internet (I found projectorcentral to be very useful).
That said, it's still in the box - we move house in 10 days (touch wood)! And room probably won't be ready for it until Sep/Oct - hopefully about the same time the Marantz 7010 is released :).

You're absolutely right. It can be a while before you really see anything to pick faults with sometimes. At least with the black level, an ND2 filter can be an easy and temporary fix.

I've not seen the two to compare, but you certainly wont need the extra brightness for your 110" (I assume 16:9 diagonal) screen.

Do a forym search - I'm sure someone did a few comparisons and the 1070 was his choice of the budget pjs he saw. I don't think he did any ISF type calibration so it's just based on a personal opinion. You may find other reviews that are equally positive - I think that may even be an 'official' avforum review.

Gary

Yes ive read lots of reviews, but each one is judging the review on the price, just wonder how good the 1070 is when compared to the w1400 but then its twice as much?

I think i need a side by side comparison to see if the w1400 is worth the extra money ? In this day and age nothing is bought for life, im sure in a couple of years 4K will be the norm and the 1080p projectors will be old school as the seleco crt was.

What benefit do i get with different throws ? apart from where i can put it ? My room is 5m long and the screen fills the end wall so I have 5m of ceiling to hang it. So would i just be paying for lens shift, different throws etc which i wont be needing ? thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom