1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which projector stores in Glasgow?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by delta, Oct 9, 2001.

1. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning a trip to Glasgow next week and I'd like to know if there are any other stores than Robert Whyte and Stereo Stereo in the Glasgow area which offer a video projectors?

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Glasgow Audio - 0141 332 4707. Sim2 HT200, Sanyo PLV30

Loud & Clear - 0141 221 0221. Sim2 HT200, Sanyo PLV30

Sevenoaks - 0141 332 9655 Sim2 HT200, Sim2 HT400 (CRT), Sanyo PLV30

Book appointments with the above before visiting to avoid disappointment. (I've just realised the irony in that statement
    ;))

or, go straight to R. Whytes for cheap prices on grey imports (allegedly)

or, go straight to Gordon at Stereo Stereo for good advice and a fair price from a man who knows and loves home cinema with a passion rarely seen in this industry. (I bet he's blushing now).

Regards

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    A tip. Avoid Sevenoaks, Glasgow like the plague.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I am blushing...

Dave; If you're coming up let me know which day so i can try and be available to show you the toys. We don't have a bundle of units just now.

PLV30 and old s/h Sony1251crt are usually on dem. We are waiting on a new dem HT200DM unit. Expected this week.

Look forward to seeing you on your flying visit. Eric Hamilton Hi-Fi in Queen Margret Dr, beside the BBC usually have a Sony VPL10HT on dem as well. Don't know what HiFi Corner/James Kerr use.

See you soon,

Gordon

5. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Avoid Loud and Clear if you are looking at the SIM2 range. I went for demo (arranged an appointment) and the guy disappeared for another job leaving me with some wide boy who could talk the talk unfortunately not about projectors. Big mistake. Secondly the Sim projector looked awful, set up on a 4:3 screen which in itself was not the problem it was the whole set up of the projector. It looked green, yeuch. Very disappointed.

For demo I would not bypass Sevenoaks (even if some have had bad service - no point cutting your nose off to spite your face)as their demo rooms were much nicer and certainly looked more professional. The Sim2 range was on demo on a 16:9 Stewart screen and looked 300 times better than the poorly set up Sim at Loud and Clear. Well done Sim. Also well done to Sevenoaks for a well set up projector.

Finally, Anyone who bolts or never appears for an appointment in my opinion has just lost a sale.

Regards

6. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, thanks very much guys, I am really grateful for your tips and advice. Gordon, I'm not sure what day it will be but I will try to contact you before hand.

7. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Avoid ALL Sevenoaks,(IMHO)

Bunch of arrogant,obnoxious snobs!

8. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Have got to disagree here, Sevenoaks Newcastle are superb! Craig and the other staff are huge HC nuts and the prices are ok.

However I have been to other stores which are crap with crap staff, and the Birmingham store are the worst offenders. Sevenoaks are a franchise dealer so results will vary from store to store. Never been to the Glasgow store so cant comment.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The old Carlisle Sevenoaks was great, I had loads of time for them but I had a nasty experrience in Glasgow with the branch there.

10. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Ahhh, I see you've met Phil (manchester Sevenoaks then) - he's harmless enough and at least has enthusiasm - even if it is for stuff that's never quite available :)

11. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have. Yes he is. Yes, he was. And they didn't have what I wanted in stock!

12. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Close but no Cigar!

Make that Liverpool.....

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do you say that?

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Try Liverpool 7oaks, best dem room outside London (ish) (TagMcLaren & M&K Active S150P). I went there and bought the Tag processor, I tought that they were very professional.
    :) :)

15. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went for a demo there, they had me in and out under five mins flat!

Probably because I'm not rich (their demo room costs over £30,000) they wanted me out of their way as quick as they could!

I left them my address for some brochures ( which I had to write in their book myself) still waiting! that was six months ago...

I went to their Tag demo night, very helpfull friendly advice,the Tag boys that is! (they couldn't have helped more)

Why? well, I got talking about PJ's to one of their guys and asked him to phone me the next day with a price for a Sim2 PJ, did he phone me? NO! I waited all morning, then I had to phone him. Even then he didn't have a price!

So, as a last resort I thought I'd try e-mail instead, I e-mailed them for a Sim2 PJ glass lens upgrade price for a 420! they got back to me to say they could up grade lens. That was it, no price, nothin!

So I sent another e-mail back asking for a price, they got back to me last friday to say they'll look into it!

Still waiting....

So stick with Gordon and Roland!

They're the best there is in this country! (and scotland) IMHO ;)

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm! I have to disagree and I think you're being a little unfair. I thought they were superb. When I first visited the shop (it was empty) I spent over an hour in the dem room. Credit where credits' due.

I can't blame them for the brochure thing though, I asked for Denon brochure. No luck, so I asked Denon and they didn't even have any, so that's really unfair. I never did get a Denon brochure. I think you should be more patient, after all they are in the business of selling kit. So i'm don't think it was deliberate.

Try asking Owl video (who are the importers of Seleco (Sim2) PJs), after all, if they don't know how are the shops supposed too.

What's the 420 like? I've only ever seen the 800 which is a bit pricey.

PS - Avoid Better Hi Fi they are they were down right rude, bad mannered and insulting to my face, I will never darken they're door again.

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a Homeciema(projector,amp,spkrs,dvd and a stewarts screen)from Sevenoaks in Manchester.The Dem
    room was 1 of the best I have been in the North West.I am a director of a customer service company and the service was excellent
    and Phil listened to exactly to I wanted from
    the system which not many AV stores do.I have shopped around for a long time to find the right store to invest my money into and found Sevenoaks in Manchester(Phil)to be the
    one.Not every shop should be painted with same brush due to a bad experience with 1 shop.Yes I did have to wait for my equipment but it was worth the wait because of the level of service I received.

18. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    I think it's been mentioned before but they are a franchise and the level of service, stock levels and quality of the demm rooms is all variable.

I can't think of anywhere better in the centre of manchester for service than sevenoaks and I'm sure that you saw that my post about Phil was light hearted.
    I often spend a lunch time in there watching the latest lcd/dlp projecter fail to live up to the seleco 500.

Glad to hear that you had a good time. I think this is one of the reasons Gordon and Roland are doing so well from this forum - It is really difficult (when you know a little tech stuff) to find staff that don't tell you downright lies (knowingly or not)these days.

Cheers
    Alex

[ 15-10-2001: Message edited by: Alex Simon ]

19. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i feel that is a rather sweeping generalisation, i very much doubt if you have been to all sevenoaks in britain to judge.

both sevenoaks i went into were pretty friendly, especially in glasgow. granted i didn't buy the product form them, they couldn't match the price i was quoted elsewhere, but they were very helpful.

As were the staff in edinburgh where i bought me speakers. It wasn't a massive purchase, but they were very patient and made me feel like i could have spent all day there demoing kit. Gave me a discount on speaker cable as well.

It would seem, gordon that you have something of a fanclub growing.

20. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Hmmm! I have to disagree and I think you're being a little unfair. I thought they were superb. When I first visited the shop (it was empty) I spent over an hour in the dem room. Credit where credits' due".

Well I think being shown the door after five mins unfair-SORRY!

"I can't blame them for the brochure thing though, I asked for Denon brochure. No luck, so I asked Denon and they didn't even have any, so that's really unfair. I never did get a Denon brochure. I think you should be more patient, after all they are in the business of selling kit. So i'm don't think it was deliberate".

After waiting the best part of six months I think I'm being VERY PATIENT!

"Try asking Owl video (who are the importers of Seleco (Sim2) PJs), after all, if they don't know how are the shops supposed too".

Done that they said ask your local dealer! (guess who?)

"What's the 420 like? I've only ever seen the 800 which is a bit pricey".

Don't know but I've got a demo on a 500 next week, I'll let you know how it goes!

I think you'll find that they ran around after you because you shown them the colour of your money! ;)