1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Projector Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by infomatique, Dec 1, 2001.

1. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have very little knowledge or understanding of LCD projectors and a limited budget but I am currently considering the following:
    Sony VPL-HS1 (This has received a number of good reviews and one bad review).
    Philips Munroe LC6131
    Hitachi PJ-LC2001
    Toshiba MT3

What model should I go for?

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Hi,
    I've had my Sony HS-1 for 2 weeks now.
    I've not seen the others you mention, but I'm absolutely delighted with my purchase, and would definately recommend it if your budget is around 2K.
    I was considering a VW11HT at nearly 5K, and while there were
    differences between the two, they were no where near 3k's worth of difference.
    The HS-1 has good colour, decent black level, good detail, is suprisingly quiet, light weight & flexible. I got mine with a free screen for £1699.... a steal!

The only downer is that it's a desk top design and can't be used from the ceiling.
    However, I have mine perched on top a cabinet about 1 foot above head height when seated, and angled down slightly towards the screen. There is keystone correction for this but you
    can't use the 'side shot' feature at the same time.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jules

Any hint on who your supplier was ?

Regards

chandip

4. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Did I read somewhere that this PJ has a maximum screen size of 60"? i thought I did and it put me off

5. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I can't talk about the other models, but I've got a Sony VPL HS1 and am generally very happy with it.

Excellent picture, low fan noise (this is very important, many people don't realise how important until they have to live with a projector), supports progressive scan via component video (and even HDTV input), fantastic selection of input options (though you'll need to pay extra for the required cables for VGA, RGB or component video) and very easy to use.

The price was good at the equivalent of about 1600 quid and it was very nice to get a screen included. The screen is 1.2m wide giving a 1.5m diagonal. Apparently if you have enough space to set the projector further back, and get a bigger screen, you can get good results up to a 3m diagonal.

I wasn't able to try this, but I can say that on the included screen (1.5m diagonal) sitting about 2.5m away I wasn't able to discern a pixel structure to DVD movies and everything looked extremely 'film-like'.

Downsides: Well, being an LCD the blacks aren't 'true' blacks. Although the contrast is generally very good.

Also, it doesn't have a whole lot of mounting options. Really, it needs to sit on a tabletop, ideally at the same level as the bottom of your screen. I'd prefer to be able to mount it on a shelf behind my sofa but that wasn't an option (using the included screen, anyway).

On the whole, I'm about 85% satisified. I'd personally prefer more mounting flexibility but the way its set up to work as a tabletop projector will probably be a convenience to a lot more people than it inconveniences.

For the price I don't imagine many people will be disappointed at all, and it really really makes for amazing videogaming if you have a decent console like a PS2 or Dreamcast.

Gav