1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Projector for newbie < £700?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by robertsage, Aug 18, 2004.

1. robertsage

robertsage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,
    Not satisfied with my Sony 36" CRT I've decided to go for a projector setup in my lounge.
    I've looked at a few now, and done a bit of reading and boiled it down to a handful of entry level (<£700) LCD Projectors.

The Epson TW10 at £616, Panasonic PT-AE200 at £630, Philips Astaire @ £475 and the Toshiba ET1 @£580

I've been very impressed by the reviews the Epson has got, whilst there seems to be a lot of Panny owners that swear by them, the Tosh is a bit of an outsider - while the Astaire could prove good value but can't find anyone that's seen one!!

Please help as I need to choose soon or be forced to watch my Star Wars trilogy on the telly instead!!

Ta! :smashin:

PS Looking to use a 2.0mx1.1m screen from about 3m with the pj on a ceiling mount.

2. sconie

sconie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

I opted for the infocus x1, lots of good reviews and a huge following in the usa, as it is a dlp there is the "rainbow" issue which you can search for, I got mine for £563 delivered from currys, see the link elsewhere on the forum, a diy screen (blackout cloth) for £30 and a good progresive cable for £24.

I built a great stand from a B&Q corner shelf, a long bolt and some spare wood, cost £3 it secures the PJ whilst it is fully adjustable up and down.

A cheap home cinema dvd player and surround system from under £60 from ebuyer and bobs your uncle.

I have not had problems with rainbows but do see them if you look at the screen side on quickly, for me having a 7ft by 4ft high quailty image far outways any downside, do your research and go for it you will not be sorry.

Sconie

:clap:

3. robertsage

robertsage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta! Hadn't considered the X1 - but will do some reading now. Anyone else got an opinion?

4. alan5757

alan5757

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  5. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Consider getting the BenQ PB6100 it's got rave reviews on www.projectorcentral.com and is available for about £650 from ebuyer.co.uk - A £500 drop in a few months.

Andy

6. seasider

seasider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't speak for the other PJ's but I bought an ex-demo PLV-Z1 last week for £620 and am really impressed. My original intention was to buy a DLP but, on demo, I couldn't handle the rainbow problems that I could see - gutted didn't come close to how I felt. As I hadn't really looked too deeply into LCD I had to go back to the drawing board and eventually chose the Z1 as something of a stopgap for a couple of years that won't lose me a fortune come upgrade time. Do check out both technologies before you buy and I hope you have more success than me with the DLP's. One final thing - you really will be impressed with whatever you end up buying as films on a big screen with a decent surround sound are stunning.