1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which projector for heavy use

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fallwood, Oct 11, 2005.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Me again, as none of the current panny,sanyo etc pj's seem to be able to cope with the hammering I give them what would you suggest that I buy next. Surely there must be something out there that will cope with 80-100hrs per week without falling to bits every 6 months. What options do I have if I go for something more commercial, I still need it to be reasonably small and to be hi-def and have most of the features that i've become accustomed to, Oh and it needs to be lcd as I see zippy, george and bungle quite badly. Don't want to spend stupid amounts of cash but I would go as far as 4-5k for a hassle free life, would even consider something refurbed if it was known as a sturdy machine.

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    But is it used for home cinema duties? why not just buy a decent one and about 5 bulbs?

3. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What would you class a decent (reliable I assume you mean?) one?

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, a regular TV :D .

:smoke:

5. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would love a 90" standard tv, can you reccomend a good finance company :) :) .

6. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aren't all projectors a bit fragile??

7. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    They cant all be so fragile, you see plenty out there in commercial applications , pubs clubs exibition centers etc surely they dont have to put up with the same shabby reliability that Im experiencing, my local pub has had the same toshiba pj for at least 4 yrs and its still going strong ( yep its the same one cos I asked the landlord) with basic service intervals and replacement bulbs every 6 months it stays on from openng time till 12 at night 7 days week . Is there anyone on here that has experience of more robust units and the rough cost of purchasing one.

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    pay commercial prices and you will get one that will last....somehow i think its gonna cost a lot more than a consumer one tho.....lol
    and you need to have it serviced, as you suggested from the mention of the one in the pub....

shame u see rainbows, my 7205 has had over 200 hours in a few weeks already and still running good....lol.....how that will be in 6 months i dont know, im not looking forward to replacing the bulb so often tho...heh, gotta stop using it so much for TV and computer...

9. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Wheres a good place to find info on commercial projectors, ive looked on most of the main manufacturer sites but cant find anything suitable for home cinema, they all seem to be data projectors. Would one of the current lcd pj's in the 4-5k price range be more robust than my current model.

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    TBH I think if you stray away from budget models you will get better reliability than you've been getting, or at least a more comprehensive warranty!! AE900/700, Z4/3, TX200/100 are all built to a price with infrequent home use in mind. Epsons are pretty bloody solid though, and covered by 3-year on-site warranty. I reckon the new TW600 will be a force to be reckoned with.

But if you're thinking more commercial, Sanyo PLV-70 is well worth a look. Rock solid 2200 ANSI WXGA LCD.

11. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another thing is that pubs do not turn off their Projectors which is actually good for the lamp and probably for the unit as a whole. Hours are not the only thing that kill a lamp but on/off cycles too; Im guessing the same for the unit itself too probably to a lesser extent. What are your viewing habits?

12. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mine gets turned on at 5.30pm and stays on until 2-3 am, at weekends it can be on from 10.am till 2 am the next morning with maybe a few hours in the afternoon when its switched off. In general it doesnt get switched on/off more than once a day apart from weekends when it can be switched on/off a couple of times a day. Its not the lamp I have problems with its the rest of the machine, heat damage being the most frequent problem followed by dust contamination that cant be blown out.

13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Wow that's some hours.

I seem to remember someone saying that their PJ was in the vacinity of the kitchen and that they had a penchant for stir frys? :thumbsup: Was that you? If so, though I admire your taste in food, I wouldn't like to return as your PJ in another life! ;)

Basically I'd go for somethign with a 3 yr warranty and as previously mentioned the Epson 600 looks like a good 'un...PJ :)

14. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yep thats me :clap: , lounge is next to kitchen so can get a bit of steam/smoke in from time to time, just installed a new air con system to combat the heat/smoke/steam/dust problem and it does it job very well, still think the ae700 is gonna go tits up as soon as the warranty runs out. Has anyone reviewed the epson 600 yet, I dont want to take a step back in picture quality for the sake of reliablility, I want good reliability and a picture at least as good as what ive got now.

15. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I doubt it will be a step back, judging by these pics anyway...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1950645&postcount=1

16. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    If your not susceptible to rainbows then go for a DLP, they tend to be better constructed than their LCD counterparts IMO. No doubt people will argue against this saying what evidence is there that LCDs are inferior in terms of longevity. However, how many posts relate to failing LCD panels, dead pixels and heat damage? How many DLP posts relate to dead chipsets and dead pixels? The overall number of negative posts regarding both technologies is pretty much even, however LCD tend to relate to reliability, DLP tend to relate to rainbows. For this reason I went DLP, I would rather experience the occasional rainbow over the constant worry of panel failure. Manufacturers recognise this by the type of their warrantees they offer, providing better backup on DLP units.

17. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Why not look at CRT projector? I know they are big but they can take the hours and if set up properly they will give a fabulous image.

Just get it mounted onto the ceiling and paint the ceiling the same colour to blend it in.

18. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    So is it dust etc and overheating problems you are having? I think a commercial projector will be better constructed for long term use. For smoket pub/club environments we use a Mitsubishi Defender - it's basically a fridge for your projector! Giant bloody thing though.

19. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Had a quick look at the Sanyo PLV-70 but it is a fairly old model now, not sure that it would stand up very well at the side of todays budget models, the epson does look good and the warranty seems excellent seems to be a budget machine though and I would still like to go for a mid range machine if they are proving to be more reliable. Anyone got any more advise on an lcd around the 3-4k mark.

20. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Get yourself a HS50/60 , mine doesn't quite do your hours but has a similar pattern of use, the bulb did give out at 1100 hrs but was due to a loose rivet shorting out a board when it was moved and it was replaced under warranty by Sony.

And spend the difference on a good scaler

Im going to buy the HS60 prob sight unseen as soon as it lands due to the performance of mine, while the current price war plays itself out on the 1080 panel front,plus the missus won't even give me grief cos it looks exactly the same as the HS50 so she won't even know I've upgraded again:devil:

21. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The PLV-70 is a surpriser, better picture than you would expect from a machine that old (must be going on 3 years?). A bit more suited to brighter environments, we use them in bright rooms such as conservatories or indoor swimming pools, but it will happilly do the duracel bunny thing and go on, and on, and on, and on....

No LCDs above £2k really anymore. I think Epson will be your best bet though, not least of all because if it does go wrong they're better to deal with than most other manufacturers and it should come with the 3yr warranty.

Thinking "outisde the box" as they say, what about JVC DLA-SX21E?

22. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    How would you rate the plv70 against the ae700, is it comparable as the contrast ratio is well down compared to the panny.

23. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The PLV70 is a bright projector, so in blackout conditions it performs better with larger screens (where the light is spread over a bigger area) or using a gray material (to bring the blacks down). But it does achieve it's contrast at that bright level, so with ambient lighting or even in a lit room the picture is very good. It's different to the picture you have with the Panny simply because it is so bright, in blackout conditions there is less black level and detail which is a pain, but it's much more inviting in the brighter colour ranges where the Panny may even seem dull in comparison. It's got a long throw and it's loud though so if you have a small room and have to sit near it forget it.