Which Projector for around £500 ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by walls, Aug 6, 2005.

1. walls

walls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Ok guys, this is my first post - great forum by the way...

I have £500 notes burning a whole in my pocket and have been wanting a projector for some time now.

My current setup is a Sony KP-44PX3 with DAVS550, and a sony freeview box...

Im happy to use this for everday use, however I have now reached a position to go and select a projector... I have had my eye on the InFocusX2 which is going on Ebuyer for £515 notes, with 1600 lumens and a 2000:1 contrast ratio.

Any comments before I hit the BUY button would be appreciated...

Cheers.
    Walls.

2. Marty Williams

Marty Williams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if the X2 is ideal for Home Cinema:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/infocus_x2.htm

The old X1 (not the X1A which has the Faroudja chip removed) is excellent. I think Toshiba do a rebadged version, the MT100, which you can still find on Toshiba UK's website for £499. Mind you, recomending Toshiba sticks in my throat a bit, seeing as I'm not having a very good time with my MT500 right now.

The Benq 5210 is supposed to be good too with a proper 16:9 DCD and I've seen it about for £469 (Savastore (Watford electronics) I think).

If you can go to £750, the (bastards) Toshiba MT200's reviewed very highly with a true 16:9 aspect AND a 5 speed colour wheel (cuts down the DLP rainbow effect).

3. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Projectors really don't make much sense on a £500 budget. First of all there is the economics of replacing lamps - have you checked the prices? (and don't take the hour ratings for granted, lamps can fail at anytime before this, leaving you high and dry). In my opinion the performance really isn't worth the cost.

Save up another £300 and get the Sanyo Z3 with a spare bulb - its the absolute best buy at the moment. The Z3s list of pro's is huge;

- Designed for home cinema with 16:9 ratio (the X2 really isn't for HC)
    - 3 year warranty
    - HD Ready
    - 2 x component inputs
    - Very quiet
    - Dust blob removal system
    - Great remote
    - Spare bulb!
    - Good AVForum community support

By the time your hours run out on the X2, you'll feel like a circus master for having to pay £150 - 200 for another bulb when the PJ will only be worth £150. Just don't buy the X2!

4. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have to say neil is right the extra £300 on the Z3 is a bargain especially seeing as it is almost the same as the USA price (£750) although the Japanese are still getting the best deal (less than £600!). The Z3 is fantastic.

5. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  6. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I'm not sure where this comes from, my MT200 has a 4 speed wheel, yet in America they claim a 5 speed wheel. In other words, the American version spins 50% faster than mine if you take into account the different frequencies.

PAL 4x 50Hz = 200Hz
    NTSC 5x 60Hz = 300Hz

I tried to contact Toshiba in the UK to find out what is actually going on, but they have not bothered to respond.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    There is a sony HS10 on the classifieds for 500quid.
    Lot of projector for 500quid.