1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which projector for a newbie???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Chipster, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi.

OK, same old questions for you guys I expect, but here goes...

I have around £1100 to spend on a 16:9 projector and possibly screen (the pj is the most important factor for now as I can always upgrade a cheaper screen at a later date, or possibly even make one)?

I own a new HK DVD25 player so would like to make the most of its progressive PAL output.

Looking through the forum, there is lots of reference to the Panasonic and Sanyo gear but I'm still confused.

1. What’s best, LCD (my price range) or should I save for DLP?
    2. Should I worry about dead pixels etc and can I have these checked before dispatch?
    3. Should I worry too much about screendoor effects?
    4. Can you recommend a good dealer? (Seen a few here already)
    5. If I go for making my own screen and cables, any recommendations on materials?
    6. Any info on the best warranties and lamp life?

In summary I'm looking for the best pj my money can buy and intend to get demos if possible. A shortlist from owners would help me immensely though. I'm more than happy to consider an older model as long as its performance is still comparable with today’s standards.

Thanks in advance.

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    You def need the Panasonic AE200 on your shortlist. It's a great projector and you can pick these up for 700 quid these days and it accepts progressive scan input.
    I can't imagine many pj's can touch it for the money.

3. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please also try the Screenplay 4800, or the InFocus X1 as it used to be known. I tried several LCD pj's from the likes of Panasonic and Sony but once you've seen a DLP then you won't want to touch anything else. As long as its a good one then DLP offers a far smoother 'filmic' presentation with no screendoor to speak of. I didn't want to spend 1200 spondoolicks and then always think I was watching films through the old lady's fishnets. I can do THAT way cheaper. You will find wildly varying opinions on this subject and I have to say that there seems to be 'Panasonic Mafia' at work in the forums, but the best advice ANYONE can give you is 'go look for yourself!'. NEVER buy 'blind' from the net, you may detest LCDs massive pixel structure or you may find that DLP 'rainbows' leave you twitching and dribbling on the floor. I use a ScreenPlay 4800 and a Yamaha s-d540 (prog scan),hooked up to Yammy amp and a family of Yammy speakers and I get to grin and be smug around my mates all day long.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Some answers, some are personal preference of course:

1. You can get LCDs and DLPs for that, the most common being the AE200, Sanyo Z1 and Infocus X1, though there are one or two others, the AE300 can be had for just a little bit more. Very much a personal decision, DLPs are generally considered better like-for-like I think but 'rainbows' are a big problem for some, whether you're affected or not you'll have to see for yourself.

2. Dead pixels affect LCDs only AFAIK, some suppliers do a DPC for free .. DiscountElectrical for one, where I got my 300 .. others charge, others don't do it. I was told by AV-Sales that they're not worth very much as dead pixels can develop up to 6 months from new. :eek:

3. Generally if you sit the recommended 1 1/2 screen width plus from the screen you shouldn't see them, a slight de-focus can cure any residual effect.

4. DiscountElectrical are the only dealer I have experience of, though I'm waiting for a screen from AV-Sales who were very helpful and have a good name round here I think.

No answers really to 5 or 6, not made my own screen, do a search in the PJ forum, several threads there. Warranties are generally 1 or 2 years, lamps vary.

Hope this helps. :)

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    It'd very rare, but DLPs do occasionaly get a dead or lazy mirror, but it's far less likely to occur than getting an LCD dead or always on pixel.

If you want a fixed DIY screen, then I have a few pics on my home page of the one I made using 18mm x 69mm wood from B&Q. Initialy I used blackout cloth stretched and stapled over it (cost £28 all in), but after upgrading my projector to one with lower lumens, I replaced it with some 1.2 gain 'proper' screen material.

I also prefer DLP, but as has already been said, you really must demo for yourself to see if there's anything about each technology that you do or don't like.

Where do you live? I can reccommend Jeff of www.projectorsareus.co.uk in Horsham if you want a good demo from someone who's been in the business a long time and knows his stuff.

Gary.

6. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your replys.

I have indeed shortlisted the above mentioned pj's and hope to find demos soon. I live in the south west UK and travel around a fair bit with work so will get on the net/phone next week so see who I can find.

Screen info very usefull, do you know where I can buy blackout cloth, someone here mentioned Ikea?

A few more personal experiences with pj's would be nice too.

Cheers,

Chipster.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    If you want a fixed frame screen like mine, then most curtain shops or haberdashers (sp?) should be able to supply you. I got mine from Alders. Be aware that there are varying colours of blackout cloth, so if you want white, then make sure the one you get is white - if you have a white business card or similar, then you can compare the colour. You can get it in varying shades of cream, and apparently grey too.

BO cloth is cloth on one side (strangely enough), and a rubbery kind of vinyl on the other. It's the vinyl that stops light passing through. I used the cloth side of mine, but some use the vinyl side. Best way to see what side you prefer is to hang the cloth in such a way that both sides are facing you, then project onto it. That way you can see which image you prefer.

If you want a roll up screen, then some people have used the roller blinds from Ikea and similar places.

HTH

Gary.

8. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    You may want to look out for a Panny AE-300 in the classifieds, as the AE-500 and Z2 are on the way the AE-300 is starting to appear second hand. One went in the classifieds in the last couple of days for a good price (I cant remember what it was off the top of my head though!).

9. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    definitely save and try and get alook at the
    sharp xv z90 (can be had under £1500 )
    its the image to judge all buget projectors by
    im biased ive got one

10. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    if you are going to build your own screen, you might consider "foamex" we use this at work for other things but when i got my pj, i tried a sheet of it, the picture was fantastic and i would still b using it, apart from missus putting her foot down and insisting on a pulldown screen.

btw

i you live in the northwest i could probably sort you out with a foamex screen

freebie to you if, you want one

11. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks again for your kind replys and a special thanks to dek for the free offer!!

I have yet to decide on a fixed or pulldown screen, but I will get in touch if the offer still stands when I have made the decision.

Incidently, I demo'd a infocus playscene 4800 (X1) today and the dealer said it was a LCD?? my research shows it to be a DLP.
    (correct me if I'm wrong) Anyway, assuming it was a DLP I experienced my first rainbow effect. Wow what a shock!!! everytime I blinked or moved my eyes slightly all I could see was flashes of bright colour on bright parts of the image. The un named dealer said, "well I cant see it" But he did add that some people are more suseptible to it than others. This made me think twice about DLP alltough I think this pj may suffer more than others? Yet to find a source to demo LCD in the south west. Z1 and ae200 side by side would be good.

Cheers,

Chipster.

12. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    He was on the ball then :rolleyes:

13. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't name the dealer here, but I suggest you never darken his door again. It wasn't a spotty saturday boy was it? Seriously, this is very bad mis-information, a very basic error- and this guy wants your money?! Anyroad up, what did you think of the actual machine?

14. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, just read your whole reply, doh. Shame about the rainbows but the funny thing is, although I saw them at first I no longer do, save for the odd 'white out' screen. I saw more rainbows on a 3 grand Sim than on this machine, they are just one of those weird 'personal' things I guess.

15. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah chrissandgate, or maybe I'm just one of those weird people ;) It must have somthing to do with the brain I guess...mines allways been a bit slow.

Seriously though, I wonder why some people can see it and others dont??

Cheers,

Chipster.

16. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, from what I've read it can be due to your sex (females are less likely to see them), your eye colour (blue eyes see them more), your state of alertness, and the ambient lighting conditions. Apparantly cross-dressing midgets with boss-eyes who havn't slept for seven months are worst affected.

17. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have we met? :laugh:

Bet you didn't notice my blue eyes as well.

I'm still looking for a dealer you can demo an AE200/300/Z1 and maybe a sharp xv z90 side by side. I will travel, but live in the South West.

Cheers,

Chipster.

18. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You might like to try http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/ for the AE300. I gather these are factory returns that have been repaired by Panasonic, so are virtually new.,

19. Mr Rob T

Mr Rob T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats a great price, I would go for one of these myself. The thing that worries me is these could have quite a few stuck/dead pixels, probably not enough to be considered a problem by Panasonic but enough to bother me. This is why I may go with the AE200 at £750 from a sponser one here.

20. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah Rob, the same thing bothers me a bit to be honest, I just need to demo a new AE200/300 Z1/(Z2 when available) and maybe others side buy side somewhere, Pref in the south west uk.

Not too much to ask is it???

I feel like buying the lot and hiring out a demo room :D