1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Projector - DLP or LCD

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rscott4563, Jan 24, 2003.

1. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there, sorry but I'm new to projectors and I was wanting some information to help me make my decision on which way to go.

Firstly DLP or LCD, I'd always heard that DLP gave a far better quality image than LCD, but now apparantly Sony have a new generation of LCD projectors which could turn things around?

Secondly what would be the best of each for my needs, I'm looking at having about a 5-6ft 16:9 screen viewed from about 12-15ft away, mainly showing DVD's from my Denon 2800MKII PAL progressive with some Sky digital viewing and a bit of Xbox gaming. Most T.V viewing is already taken care of via 32"CRT. I'd want something that was good with some ambient light evident as I wouldn't want to have to completely blackout all the time.

My budget would be around £5000 for projector and screen.

Your help is most appreciated.

Thanks, Scotty

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,328
    DLP:

Positives:

Better black levels than LCD (much deeper on the whole)
    NO screendoor
    No dead pixels (a big plus)
    Good colour renditioning

Negatives:

Suffers from artefacting (so do many LCDs)
    Rainbow effect
    Many lamps have a short life

LCD:

Positives:

Sharp picture
    Good colour renditioning
    Longer lamp life (generally)
    No "rainbow effect".

Negatives:

Poorer blacks then DLP (varies, and LCD is getting better all the time)
    Can suffer from "vertical banding" (varies)
    Dead pixels :)mad: )
    Screendoor (very subjective, the PTAE-300 and HS10 dont suffer from this)

Just do a search and you'll find reams of threads dealing with all of those above.

Having owned both DLP and LCD projectors, I much prefer LCD now, but again it's down to personal preference (I rate them both tbh, but DLP artefacting annoyed me too much) - everyone has a different view on these things.

As for your price range, do you really want to spend that much? Sony HS-10 and a decent screen will set you back around £2500 (I think). This is a current generation LCD projector, just do a search and read all your mind can take:D

I don't have much knowledge of the higher priced projectors, but I'm sure someone else can point you in the direction of some £4k projectors.

But the best piece of advice I can give is ignore everything I've written, and go and get a demo to compare the 2 different types!

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    No chance of going for a CRT? You could get a brilliant 2nd hand CRT and screen for £5k. Mind they are big, but very good.:D

4. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No I think CRT is out of the question due to the size and weight and also the difficulty in setting up and maintaining (or so I've been led to believe).

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    See if you can get a demo of a CRT first though. If you can get to Reading then Roland of B4 projection has quite a few, and a few on demo I think.