1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which projector...again

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Metric, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony VPL-VW10HT, Ellié XS2000HT, toshiba mt1 or the sanyo plv30

Mike

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Mike,
    The answer very much depends on your requirements.

A little more info about room and screen size, where you can put the projector, what sources you are likely to use etc would be useful.

Regards

3. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not seen the Tosh or the Sanyo so can't comment on those two, but between the Ellie and the Sony, if picture quality is your criteria, ignoring size, portability, noise, mounting position, throw etc, and you have a light controlled room the Ellie has the better picture. The colours are more vibrant and it has a much higher contrast ratio than the Sony, the blacks are black and not dark grey.

Give ScreensUK a call to arrange a demo of the Ellie and give the Sound Academy a call to demo the Sony. They are both based in Sutton Coldfield so you should be able to demo both on the same day to draw your own conclusions.

4. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Like the other Gary, I too have seen the ellie and the sony at the same two venues( we live quite close to each other!) You can also see the tosh at Rackhams in Birmingham on their hi fi floor. Take your own dvds if you want to compare like with like as they only have james bond!! I have not seen the Sanyo but the 30 is soon to be bettered by their new widescreen 60. It is just becoming available in the states and should be over here soon. The specs seem to indicate it will be worth waiting for!! Gary, I would be interested to hear what you bought and what you think about the sony set up in the Sound Academy!

Regards

The Spaniard ;)

5. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Spaniard

It appears that I have seen the Tosh then. I briefly looked at the setup at Rackhams, 'nuff said!

I had a Seleco SDG700, was looking to buy the Sony, liked the Ellie XS2000, was waiting for the XS3000, but couldn't wait and ended up with a Barco Graphics 808.

After talking to John at the Sound Academy in Bloxwich, I assumed my first Demo of the Sony had been with a shoddy setup, however, after driving to their other branch at Sutton Coldfield to demo their Sony it just confirmed my original opinion. I would love a projector like the Sony it's got everything I could wish for, it's light, it's portable, it's wife friendly, I could sit in the lounge to watch films instead of in the coalhouse, but unfortunately, the contrast range isn't quite there yet, I just couldn't live with the 'grey' blacks.

6. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replies guys. I currently have a 15' x 15' room and use a plus dlp projector but im moving in about 3months when the house is complete and the room for the cinema will be about 10' x 14'. I got the plus at xmas but the rainbow effect is giving me headaches, no one seems to offer trade ins so ill worry about selling the projector later.

I like the thought of crt for quality, and the ellie looks a great price but i would have to pay for two installs and the size and noise puts me off a little.

The sony interests me as its 16x9 and i mostly watch dvds. Im kinda interested to pump digi cable to the unit too.

The tosh and sanyo (especially) appear to be cheap but will they offer the kind of blacks im used to with dlp?

Mike

PS Chris, whats a nice cheap electric screen?

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Mike,
    The Ellie should give the best blacks followed very closely by the Sanyo PLV30.

The Spaniard is right, the Sanyo PLV60 will be better than the PLV30 (16:9 panels, brighter, better contrast) but it will also be about £6k retail.

Cheap nice electric screens, hmmm...

The cheapest electric screen is made by DRH. You can recognise it by the cylindrical case (usually grey) with chrome end caps. You find them in some pub installs. Its not my favourite but if money is really tight then it does offer a solution. Expect to pay around £250 - £350

The Owl screens offer good value compared to most other brands like Projecta and Bretford. Good heavy weight surface, black edge masking, wall/ceiling mounting, optional remote interfaces for 12V trigger and RF remote control. Available in 4:3 and 16:9 versions. 6ft approx £550 7ft approx £600

Above this you'll be into Draper and Stewart screens. Better surfaces and with the option of tab tensioning. Prices start around £1200

You could also check out the Classifieds here and Loot for second hand sales.

Regards.