1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Projector? 2 the sequel

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by titan, Mar 9, 2001.

1. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted this yesterday but someone accidentally deleted it and asked me to repost, so here comes a slightly shorter version.

1) is the sanyo plv30 capable of doing a 16x9 mode that allows anamorphic DVD's to display in full resoluton?

2) Are there any other cld or dlp projectors in this price range that are capable of doing so that could be recomended?

thanks.

Nathan

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Titan,

Sorry about that - somehow my reply to your original post corrupted the thread and the administrator had to delete it [​IMG] .

To answer your questions:

1) The Sanyo has a 16X9 mode for anamorphic DVDs, but I believe that this will not quite use the full resolution of the Sanyo - it will have to scale down slightly. I think that you need an XGA resolution device (the Sanyo is SVGA). I've seen the calculations, but I can't remember how they go.

2) I don't think there is at this price.

Cheers,
    Liam

------------------
    "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2) As far as I know all the below SVGA (800x600)projectors have a 16:9 anamorphic mode...

Philips Hopper SV20i £1895+vat
    Hitachi CP-S220 £1595+vat
    Plus U3-880 £1695+vat

The prices are the cheapest that I can find and I think they are about the same as the PLV30

Meat

4. Lars Hanssen

Lars Hanssen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Titan:
    Imccauley is right. You need XGA to have full resolution in anamorphic mode.

A DVD puts out 756x480 pixels in NTSC and 756x576 in PAL. Scaled to 16:9 it will be 800x450(NTSC) and 1024x576(PAL).

That means, that NTSC will miss 30 lines of vertical resolution in 16:9 and PAL 126(!)
    Thus, SVGA is nearly good enough in theory to handle NTSC, but not PAL. In 2.35:1, the difference will be diminished somewhat, as some of the missing lines will be in the black border. In theory, at least. You can reach the full resolution on a SVGA display if you use an ISCO lens.

In the real world, i don't know whether this difference in PAL and NTSC translates into a perceptible difference in video quality. I have tried to get an answer before, but here i go again:

Owners/dealers of Sanyo:
    Is there any visible quality in NTSC vs. PAL DVD anamorphic on SANYO PLV30?
    Do it perform 16:9 compression on the RGB input?

regards

Lars

[This message has been edited by Lars Hanssen (edited 09-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Lars Hanssen (edited 09-03-2001).]