1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which projecter for under £1,500?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by iMan, Nov 3, 2003.

1. iMan

iMan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd really appriciate some quick advice here. I want to buy a projector for Christmas up to £1,500 and another say £200 for a screen. I don't have time to do loads of research and buy 3 issues of some magazines so could you experts and experienced folk be kind enought to give me some makes and models that represent excellent value for money.

I have a living room that is 16 feet long so the projector will be one end above the settee on the ceiling and the screen hanging at the other end, though not up against a wall, it will be free hanging from the ceiling with no support behind it.

So far I have found out that a resolution of 1250x800 (ish) will be better picture quality than an 800x600 model?
    Also that I should get one with at least 1500 lumans otherwise it must be pitch black with no lights on?

Today I had a Panosonic model demonstrated, not sure the model, but the cost was £899, it seemed okay to me, but I haven't seen a £2,000 Sony model so I have no comparisons whatsoever.

Any advice on makes and models for less tthan £1,500 and screen sugestions would be greatly recieved. I think I would like a screen of around 6 feet wide by about 4 feet high for wide screen, would this be too big for my living room size of 16 feet long?

Thanks in advance.

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    There are a few projectors that will fall within your budget.

Panasonic AE200, Panasonic AE300 and Sanyo Z1 with the Z2 just scraping the sides of your cash tin. Also models from Philips, Hitachi and Toshiba as well. Search on these and you will find plenty to read up on.

DRH screens is a good place to start for screens both ready made and material for your own construction.

3. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    What wierdfish is saying is that most home cinema projectors are designed for smallish Japanese homes and come equipt with short throw lens.
    If you put it at the end of a 16 ft room, you will end up needing a screen width of 115 inches!!

Resolution and lumens are an importent aspect of a home cinema projector but I think that contrast ratios and colour fidelity are more important.
    You really want a projector with at least 700:1 contrast ratio. Most light canons (1200 lumens or more) typically have a contrast ratio of 400:1 in the price range that you have specified. That means that although the projector will be very bright, the darks will look muddy and undefined and the blacks will look a kind of charcoal grey.

800 lumens on a 6ft good quality screen is suprisingly bright and most modern projectors (of that light output) like the Panny AE200/AE300/Z1/Z2 will produce a great picture with wonderful contrast, beautiful colours and snap.

Go for a demo somewhere. You won't be dissapointed.