1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which progressive scan dvd player for the z2?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gibbajabba, Jan 2, 2004.

1. gibbajabba

gibbajabba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,i was going to just get the Samsung DVDHD935 but now im hearing quite a few people say how good the sony 730 is on the z2.They both cost about the same and now im not sure.I prefer the name of sony over samsung but when i comes to which is best for my projector the make doesnt bother me,any more input from u guys :) Also wanted to ask if both these players play backups ok? Im gonna ask u guys before buying anything from now on,just spent the afternoon returning various leads and cables that i purchased for my z2 and didnt need,doh! :clown:

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moved to DVD players.

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    the Sony 730 progressive DVD player wind wired it to my Panansonic AE300. Very, Very pleased with it.

A big improvement in my interlaced Sony deck which cost a shed load more cash a while back. It has the same video board as the 930 but lacks the SACD and built in decoder - hence the bargain price of £130.00.

Using it as an interim DVD player to be honest as hopeful of exlporing HDMI as and when:lesson:

Certainly consider the 730.

Cap:smashin:

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I use a 730 with my Z2 when not using the HCPC .. IMO, and from the odd comment I've seen on here I'm perhaps not alone, the gamma on the picture from the 730 is a bit 'under done', I need to crank up the gamma setting on the Z2 to approach the same image quality as I get from the PC .. though I haven't made a serious attempt at setting gamma scientifically, preferring to go with what my eyes tell me. :)

5. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Im also scouting for a new prog scan dvd player for my Z2.I was considering going for the HK after seeing the excellent reviews its got here but wouldnt mind a player with dvi output(not certain this is even the right term!) cos my component connection on the pj is already used up by the xbox:suicide:
    Anyone got any reccomendations?(bearing in mind Im pretty skint after splurging on PJ and audio gear:zonked: )

Cheers
    JB

edit:and how much of a problem is the lip synch issue which I have only just found out exists:rolleyes:

6. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Sorry if Im being thick,but after reading a few other threads it looks like if I want progressive scan I have to connect via component?

As I dont have component connections on my Marantz amp and have to connect the component cables directly to the pj,will I have to continuously swap the cables over?:rolleyes:

Im trying not to take thread ot, I just dont want to end up with a useless dvd player:nono:

7. gibbajabba

gibbajabba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get the samsung it has dvi aswell as component,im not sure but i dont think the sony 730 has dvi.I think im gonna get the samsung unless someone says the sony has dvi then i will be split 50/50 again:suicide:

8. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    So will I still be able to get progressive via dvi?

Im also a little concerned that,although the pq of the Samsung has had rave reviews the audio sounds as if it falls a little short of the mark:suicide:

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you are after PS via component then HK DVD25/2550/506/30 are excellent, DVi players are rare at the moment but more will come.HDMI is DVI with audio and i think you can use an HDMI output and ingnore the audio out.

10. gibbajabba

gibbajabba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason B,yes u can use dvi for ps and the picture will be better than with the component on ps.This is why im gonna go with the samsung over the sony,then i can still use the component for my xbox
    :D

11. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Cheers,its becoming a little clearer now:clap:

If the HK was dvi theres no doubt that would be the 1 but I think Im Im gonna need dvi as Im in the same boat as as you Gaba,connecting my xbox via component hi def malarkey.

The question now is do I get the Sony/Samsung or wait for more dvi players to emerge later in the year:confused:

I dont know where I read it but Im sure ive seen dodgy reviews of the audio aspects of these players;has anyone here had experience with them?
    Cheers:smashin: