1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Processor?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Orbital, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

Well I've finally bitten the bullet and sold my trusty Pioneer receiver (VSX 909) and I am now making my first foray into the world of separate pro/power. I've already bought a lovely Rotel MKII RB985 power amp (thanks GaryC :)) and I am now mulling over what processor to get.

My budget is about £1100 and I have the following in mind:

Rotel RSP1066
    Lexicon DC2
    Meridian 565

Of the above processors the only one I've heard via a demo is the Rotel, as it's still a current model so easy to find in the flesh. The Rotel was very pleasing to the ears and I imagine I’d be very happy with it but as I'm only interested in best DD and DTS playback I can get for my money the other two are surely better? Also would I be better off saving another £300-£400 and buying a second hand Lexicon MC1?

It's all getting very confusing so any thoughts you guys have please share them. Oh and any suggestions of other processors that are worth keeping an eye out for would also be appreciated.

2. tekmonkey

tekmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had experience with Lexicon and have to say, there are some build issues, so be careful with what you buy on the second hand market, inspect thoroughly before commiting, both the DC2 and MC1 are stonking machines and would be my first choice over meridian, rotel, tag, linn, cyrus, etc... I must confess I too really like the rotel for the money, but Lexicon has speed, dynamics, breathtaking detail which for pure cinema, IMHO cannot be beat!!!

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    Orbital, see my thread on my recent purchases (i.e Lexicon DC-2) and thoughts on sound quality.

Can't comment on the build quality, except to say that mine is fine. The Lex's look very plain, but it ain't really about the looks is it?

I've not heard the Rotel 1066, but I believe its a strong performer and obviously has the latest sound modes. If you're mainly concerned with the delivery of 5.1 soundtracks however, then to me it's a bit academic. You can get into high-end processing for very little cost, and even a few days on from setting mine up, I'm pleased as punch.

Wanna know whats REALLY in a movie soundtrack? Get a great processor!

Of course there are drawbacks....the Lexicons (sorry don't know the Meridians to comment or any others really) are dead in as far as upgrades go. Again, it comes down to the question of: how fussed are you about discrete 6.1?

4. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well My old Pioneer amp was an THX Ultra approved jobbie and I had an additional power amp for the extra channels to enjoy THX-EX. So I would like to take advantage of the 7.1 processing once again (Lexicons Logic 7 is very good from what I've read about it so far). But as to the latest formats such as PLII that doesn't really bother me.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    A few weeks back I would have advised looking for a good used Tag....now with their future in some long term doubt....I think they're still well worth a look,as the processors themselves are superbly made and very reliable,and the support from Tag seems to be ongoing at least at present.

The Rotel processor is generally very well regarded but not as good sonically as the Tag maybe.....the lower priced Lexicons are in much the same boat as the Tag,with an unsure future in terms of upgrades.

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    You've answered your own question then:D

7. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I pretty much discounted the Tag gear as it was over my budget. Top whack for me is £1500 and I haven't seen many Tag's for that, or am I looking in the wrong places?

I must admit I'm insterested in hearing the Meridian 565. I've heard a lot of good things about it and I always remember hearing a Meridian stereo set up a few years back and being absolutely blown away with the sound.

8. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    If you can, try to go the extra bit with the MC-1. Sonically, it's quite a leap above the DC-2 ( I have owned both previously) or the Meridian is also worth consideration. Personally I find the Rotel to be a bit out of it's league in this company.
    I know alot of people make an issue of the Lexicon's 'inability' with musical sources, but if that's not an issue and it's mainly for movies, you can't go wrong. Make sure the Lex you buy is full spec, preferably V 4.0.
    Oh and don't discount the Tag either. At the current prices it's a serious bit of kit. Best to have a little demo of the above processors though before you take the plunge!!:)

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    Theres a 565 Meridian on ebay atm.

10. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, even before the recent events, you could pick up an ex-dem AV32R for the top end of your budget (£1500 ish). I managed this towards the end of last year, so you should find some good deals around now.

Take a look at sites like this .

I found an AV30R on there for £1220, and an AV32R for £1550.

Happy hunting and let us know what you decide on in the end.

11. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    All,

Thanks for your input on this. This has pretty much confirmed what I first thought and that's a second hand, high end processor is the way to go.

Smurfin,

I had seen that Meridian on eBay, keeping a very close eye on it. Thing is on eBay, you always get some complete numpty going well over the odds. I did see one on the ex-dem site mind you for £750. Would you say that's about the going rate for a 565?

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    I'm probably not the right person to comment, as I've only recently (understatement of the year:D ) got into the more expensive processors. All I know is that I'm loving mine:D

[my flatmate who's a picky bastard at the best of times sat down tonight and watched Bugs Life....LOL several times he actually turned round to look at the surrounds. His words were basically: "This is smooth as a baby's arse":D ]

Back to the Meridian though, I'm guessing around £800 would be a good price?

13. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Who knows there Meridians on this forum? Doesn't Adzman own a 568? Might send him a PM see what he reckons.

14. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    565s normally fetch between £750 and £900 2nd hand and around £1200 ex-demo - though these have a two year warranty included in the price.
    Make sure you get one with DTS and 7.1, anything else is overpriced and probably not worth having. Old spec 565s aren't worth more than about £400 IMHO.

Hope This Helps