Which Processor

pinecooler

Novice Member
I'm looking for a processor scaler that will also mainly act as a switch for my HD sources.

My current setup is that i have a Optoma HD80 and a Panny 42px70. I am feeding these from PS3, BT Vision which will be replaced as soon as there is a product on teh market a freesat PVR. I am also in the process of putting together a gaming/home cinema pc which will also feed into it.

Ideally it has to therefore have a minimum of 2 HDMI outputs, as well as digital audio out to feed my amps. It would need to be able to output HD audio (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA).

Due to cable lengths i would prefer a seperate output to my amps (looking at getting a new pre/power combination) rather than a loop\ through on the way to my screens.

It will preferably be located on a av rack in my basement along with all my other kit. i would therefore like to easily be able to control it remotely, i fgured an IR sender would do the trick

Any suggestions.

pinecooler

Novice Member
Ok, I've managed to find out that I would be looking at either the CrystallioII or the Lumagen Radiance XD.

The CII would be my choice due to price however i've heard bad things about LPCM 5.1, i.e. it wont allow it to pass through over the HDMI.

While looking around I came across the Themescene HD3000 which only has 1 output (kinda has two but not really) which seemed liek a great deal, the only problem is taht i would still need to split the output, and when i'm looking at long HDMI runs i'd rather not have to do that.

Is there any other options or am i gonna have to compromise on what i want?

Avi

Distinguished Member
I'm looking for a processor scaler that will also mainly act as a switch for my HD sources.
What other features of a VP are you interested in ? If it's only switching there may be alternative options that don't cost as much. Also if you want the option to use HD audio as bitstream (rather than decoded PCM) in the future it important to understand what version of HDMI is suppoted by the VP.

AVI

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
The Radiance is clearly the best suited here. 2 outputs, LPCM works fine now (and it will embed stereo and digital signals into the HDMI from other sources) and HDMI 1.3 will be available later for bitstream HD audio.

Avi

Distinguished Member
The Radiance is clearly the best suited here. 2 outputs, LPCM works fine now (and it will embed stereo and digital signals into the HDMI from other sources) and HDMI 1.3 will be available later for bitstream HD audio.
If the OP is also planning on using games the low latecy mode may also be useful when it's introduced. :) Lots of good stuff being added to the point that I'm updating FW almost daily.

AVI

pinecooler

Novice Member
If it's only switching there may be alternative options that don't cost as much.
AVI
To be honest i don't mind if it doesn't have a built in switcher, all i need is a scalar that is as good as the gennum.
I am looking at getting a pre-amp/pawer amp combi to replace my current setup, so i may be able to get the signals to feed into the pre-amp and use it to do the switching.

The radiance would be good, but when i'm looking at replacing everything in my setup its a very expensive prospect.

NonPayingMember

To be honest i don't mind if it doesn't have a built in switcher, all i need is a scalar that is as good as the gennum.
I am looking at getting a pre-amp/pawer amp combi to replace my current setup, so i may be able to get the signals to feed into the pre-amp and use it to do the switching.

The radiance would be good, but when i'm looking at replacing everything in my setup its a very expensive prospect.
The switching aspect is an incredibly small % of the cost. You are paying for the hugely powerful deinterlacing and scaling, but also lots of the features that people don't think about with video processors (y/c correction, gamma correction, CMS, genlock, noise reduction, proper working video signal management etc etc).

I agree it is at the top of the pile in terms of price. But you will not be able to find the same picture quality, but with perhaps less inputs in a cheaper product. You will have to sacrifice some quality somewhere to pay less. No such thing as a free lunch etc!!!!! This is why I like the Vision, doesn't have the Gennum horsepower for video mode deinterlacing and noise reduction, and as you say is less on the inputs, but still has y/c, gamma, primary colour cms, genlock, video management up to 1080p24 or 1080i60 input, and excellent SD and HD film deinterlacing.

NonPayingMember

If the OP is also planning on using games the low latecy mode may also be useful when it's introduced. :) Lots of good stuff being added to the point that I'm updating FW almost daily.

AVI
I agree. I don't remember being this excited since about this time two years ago when the Vision came out of production!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom