1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which processor

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by malariaboy, Jan 17, 2004.

1. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    right ive got hold of a 5 channel power amp now i need to decide on either a new rotel 1066 or do i go second hand i.e lexicon dc2, meridian 561. the only problem is i am using my current av amp as a switcher for plasma and these dont appear to do component :(. grateful to anyone who has heard these units and how the secondhand ones compare to the rotel.

many thx

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    By all accounts the Lexicon DC-2 and Meridian 561 will both put the Rotel into the shade in terms of sound quality, but it really depends on how important video switching is for you.

Neither the Meridian nor Lex will do component switching, S-video only, and neither do they carry the latest sound formats such as DTS-ES discrete; I believe the 561, if fully loaded will have PLII, but the DC-2 won't.

However, Lexicon has Logic 7 and Meridian has Trifield, which will go some way to nullifying the "other" formats anyway - alot of Lex owners swear that it's superior to dts discrete anyway.

All said though, the processing will be much better on even the older, high end models than the amp you're currently using...

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's been said on these forums that even mid-range one box AV receivers have better processing capabilities than the RSP-1066 you mention.

Having heard the DC-2 I can strongly recommend it :).

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I wouldn't swap my 1066 for a DC2 or 561. :)

5. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting......It would seem that there are a few people that don't think much of the 1066. It seems odd that reviewers have given the processor and power amp combo a universal glowing report and according to some experts has out performed equipment costing twice as much money. I know that you have to treat reviews with a pinch of salt, but are they all wrong? From a recent demo I had I would certainly say it knocks the spots off most if not all of the one box solutions I've heard and for the price it's difficult to pick fault.

I'm in the process of looking to up-grade and for the money the 1066 is very tempting! I can't comment on the Lexicon processors, but buying equipment that is possibly 5 years old or more with no warranty is always a risk. It may be that the Lexicon is sooo good that it's worth taking the risk, however you will get a two year warranty with the Rotel.

popeye

6. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    dimmy have you heard a 2011 pioneer against a rotel cause i was of the opinion judging by every review ive read that the rotel blows all but the top all in one boxes away ?

7. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've been thinking of selling my bryston sp1 if thats any interset to you malariaboy and their's no warranty worries as their still 17 years left :eek:.Although theirs no video switching on bryston's but has a excellent 2ch by-pass which turns it into brystons bp 25 pre amp which is the best one they do

8. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I keep on going back and forth on this one but either way the 1066 represents good value for money. In terms of new kit if I was given a choice between a 1066/1095-1075 or a top end one box solution I would go for the Rotel every time.

If your not keen on second hand kit and you already have a power amp there is nothing really to compete with the Rotel for your money. However if it was me I would personally wait for the 1068 if its only weeks away.

If you want to buy second hand consider -

1)TAG for £1,100-£1,300 ish which sounds better than the Rotel (not the AV30R which although is a good machine and digs out a lot of detail, has noise levels definately on the high side). If you have a bright bare room though TAG's may sound slightly harsh.

2)Meridian 568 - £1,400 ? Never heard it but supposed to be a cracker.

3)Lexicon MC1 - £1,250 - I wouldnt bother with the DC1 / DC2 as they are getting long in the tooth now. Also if looks matters to you they also look a bit antique.

9. stormyuklondon1

stormyuklondon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thxultra, what are you looking at for the sp1?

10. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    how much for the sp1 m8

11. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Stormyuklondon1 , malariaboy

looking for £1750 ono

To get it upgraded to sp1.7 is £1200 which is what i plan to do if i dont sell it.

12. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Just to correct my original post, the Lexicon DC1 / DC2 are very good value for money given the prices they are currently going for.

13. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Has it been mentioned that the 1066 will soone be replaced with the 1068?

Sorry if so.

14. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've contacted Rotel today regarding the 1068. It wont be released in the UK until at least May. The US should get it sooner.
    So if anyones holding off buying a 1066 for a 1068 you'll have to wait a while yet. Rotel were not willing to comment on the specifaction for the new model other than it uses a new chip set.
    As for me I can't wait that long, so I've ordered a 1066 & 1075 power amp!

popeye

15. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't heard them side by side at all, no. But somebody else on these forums (I think it was Russraf), said he believed the processing of Pioneer's VSX-AX5i to be better than that of the RSP-1066.

16. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Krell Showcase does component switching, but it might be difficult to find them SH yet... :rolleyes:

17. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    First Pre-Pro thread for ages without posting from NicolasB
    R U sick Nick? :)

malariaboy,
    Advantage on buying used pre-pro is that they loose on price faster than cars. And having all latest processing modes is really not so important at all.
    With your 5 channel amp you might find any older processor with DD, DTS and PL2 as a VERY acceptable solution

18. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Dimmy,

I highly doubt mid-range one box AV receivers have better processing capabilities than the RSP-1066.

I've owned the Denon KACV-A1SE and I would pitch these near enough on the same level.

Someone from this forum recently upgraded from a mid-range AV reciever the PIONEER VSX-D2011 to the Rotel RSP-1066 and said that he noticed a huge difference in performance.

I was able to do a back-to-back comparison with the 1066 against my MC-1 in my living-room and the performance from the 1066 was quite close actually.

Unless you are able to do an A/B comparison against two different processors using the same equipment/room etc, then you simply will not be able to tell exactly what the differences are between the two processors.

19. CIMPSA

CIMPSA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. CIMPSA

CIMPSA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just noticed:

Rotel 1068: The link above refers to a TFT display, obviously a mistake according to pics

21. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just recently up-graded my Denon 3801 integrated receiver and bought a Rotel RSP-1066 a RMB-1075 & RB-1070. It really is a huge step up from the Denon and considering what I paid for the Rotel package, I think I got a bargain. There doesn't appear to be anything else in he rotel's class at this price point in the separates market. The only other options is for a one box solution and again from my experience the Rotel will knock the spots off most of the intergrated units that are available. I know because I auditioned many of them. Anyone who is considering the Rotel, I can highly recommend it.

popeye

22. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    popeye, I completely agree with you on this as I have owned the successor to the Denon 3801 - the 3802.

So far we have had PIONEER VSX-D2011 & and Denon 3801 owners who have upgraded to a 1066 noticing big improvements.

I have owned Denon's A11SR which I consider a high-end AV-receiver and I would say that from what I can remember of the Denon's performance (which was very good), 1066 is at the very least on par with the A11SR's performance.

The Rotel 1066 offers superb performance for the money especially now going for around £600-£650 second-hand and this notion that mid-range AV recievers can offer superior performance to the 1066 is very mis-leading.

23. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've demoed the 1066 against a Tag AV32R (not DP) and Arcam AV8 and it stacks up well. Bit rough round the edges but way ahead of any one box. I very nearly bought one as I wanted to go pre/pro but ended up buying a Rotel 1055 which performs well for a receiver. Got a Tag now but I would recommend the 1066 over any receiver under £1000 that I can think of.