Which (Printed) TV Guide ?

mykl1971

Novice Member
Reaction score
Well, it's that time of year when I put my hand in my pocket and buy a double issue TV guide.

Which one do you recommend ?

I have Sky, but don't pay for movies or sport - so don't need a lot of detail about what's on those channels.

Also, I'd like to avoid any that squeeze listings for "lesser channels" (e.g. FX) into a box 1 inch by 1 inch !

So something with nice, clear, squint-free text :D

Any suggestions ?

Well to be honest pearljam we always buy that 33p one (TV Choice) its set out very well. As far as sky progs are concerned we tend to use the EPG anyway only use the TV guide to see whats comming up on terrestrial TV so that does the job. Hope that helps

I think that's the same one that we get actually pcdoc - it's cheap and cheerful, but I always like to treat myself at Xmas :D

I have to say I've never been much of a fan of the Sky EPG - not clear enough, too much scrolling back and forward, up and down.

Thanks for your input - I'll have a good gander this week.

There used to be one called something like sattelite tv which listed absolutely everything, even the shopping channels.

Dont know if they still make it but it might be worth looking for.

I bought "What's On TV" for 80p. Quite a reasonably sized glossy for 80 pence.

I'm not saying it's the best, but every christmas I buy the 'Radio Times'.

My parents did it and now I do it with my family.

But only at christmas, the rest of the year we rely on the free TV guides which are included with the weekend newpapers.

:)

As ipod mentions, "What Satellite and Digital TV" is good. Not cheap at £3.95 but it does last the month. All it does is list the time and programme title, no information. For instance FX shows all programmes from 10 a.m. to 4 a.m.

The listed channels are ABC1, Artsworld, Bravo, Cartoon Network, Discovery Channel, Disney, FTN, FX, Hallmark, History, Living TV, National Geographic, Performance, Reality TV, SciFi, Sky One, UKTV Gold, UKTV2, UKTV Drama, UKTV History, The Horror Channel. 7 Sports Channels, HD listings. Prime Time Movie selection. Also all day movie listings by time (not every channel); i.e. Midday- The Professionals SC1 (1967). 12.55 Mildred Pierce - TCM (1945) PG. 1.00 A Pyromaniac's Love Story SM9 HD (1995 PG). 1.05 Merchant of Venice SM10 HD (1995) PG. 1.20 Three Coins in The Fountain - SC2 (1954). Baby of the Bride - SM2 (1991 PG).

As for TV listings, this magazine is now a shadow of its former self. It used to list practically all the films on television alphabetically with description of film content, etc. Also most Sky channels were listed (three years ago). I did stop taking it when they stopped the movie section but have recently bought it again. However, it doesn't list the basic terrestial channels and their extra channels so you need something like "Radio Times", which is my choice.

Our own AV Forums TV Guide is excellent too but not for planning ahead.

Hi,

Cynthia is spot-on! "What Satellite...." is absolutely awful now, and because - more often than not - transmission details and programmes change so much from the date they are published in the magazine, to the actual day of transmission, I've decided to stop buying it completely. It's an awful magazine, and wholly unreliable.

As for me, I'm buying the Radio Times Christmas/New Year edition (£1-99 for about 240 pages), and then I'll also get another listings publication too, but for which I can't remember what the hell it's called. :rolleyes: :eek:

Pooch

Are you looking for programme recommendations or just listings? If its just listings then I'd go for Digiguide as you can tweak the output (printed if you wish) to include the channels/level of detail that you want and it should be more accurate than the vast majority of printed guides.

For programme recommendations I normally use the Radio Times website but at Christmas I splash out and get a printed copy of the Radio Times

The Christmas Radio Times has become as much of a seasonal fixture in our family as a decorated tree and roast duck with all the trimmings.

My son insists on buying the lot! :eek:

(Please excuse TG, as I have to go and lie down. :rotfl: )

Tv & Satellite Week :thumbsup:
Got the xmas issue today. Great tv mag that isn't obsessed with putting a soap star on the cover every week like others mentioned here.

Hi,

Got the xmas issue today. Great tv mag that isn't obsessed with putting a soap star on the cover every week like others mentioned here.

Thanks, Kevo - that's the one I couldn't remember the name of. :clap:

Pooch

TV & Satellite Week is by far the best in my opinion.

Radio Times - a classic :thumbsup:

Part of my christmas tradtition has always been buy the Radio Times, turn to the film section and see whats on.

Radio Times has a Doctor Who Story CD.

Without question it has to be the Radio Times at christmas:smashin:

Great tv mag that isn't obsessed with putting a soap star on the cover every week like others mentioned here.

This one seems quite popular, so I went ahead and bought it today.

It may not have a soap star on the cover, but it has that Dr Who buck eejit :thumbsdow

Thanks for all your input folks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom