Which preamp for TD 126 mkIII / Linn K9 on Marantz SR5500 Receiver?

Pete376

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have an old Thorens TD 126 mkIII / Linn K9 combo that I want to play on an inexusably low tier Marantz SR 5500 receiver. I explained how this came about to happen in this topic.

I still have my audiophile speakers Triangle Meridien. They play well on the Marantz, but obviously it's not what I remember from the days when I had my Linn Majik/LK-100 setup.

As the Marantz doesn't have a phono IN, I am debating the following phono preamps:

The big question is, no matter how good the preamp, will the Marantz be able to unleash its quality to my ears? So which preamp would please me most?

Thanks, Pete

At that price range the Tisbury Phono is getting good reviews but if it is just for a test to see if it all works then a Behringer PP400 will do the job and you can then sell on with little loss if you get back into vinyl long term.

Amazon product ASIN B000H2BC4E

I have to say, if your kids are anything like mine who unlike me are not bothered about music in any way shape for form and find music boring :blush: (hurts me to say it - trust me I've tried to - but there is no interest - I've also got over 14,000 tracks, and yes they like some - but never just ask if they can play music - even in their own room)

So, as you have tinnitus, only purchase what you need to make a noise as you might be amazed by the reaction like I have

Myself, I'm a massive music fan (as you can tell with over 14,000 tracks) and during lockdown, the wife asked if we had a turntable. I at that point remembered we did (as I was given one, but never got round to trying it), although it had been in the shed for six years (thankfully it had been correctly packaged). Subsequently once I had integrated into the hifi, the kids showed some interest for about 15 minutes then got board. the wife wanted it to stream a few live private sessions with her mates as we wasn't allow into each others home. Me I ended up buying loads of LP's and love it and love it being out even though it only gets used once or twice a month. I have been surprised by the quality of my freebie, 30 year old turntable to (I've heard many budget one and they're pleasant which are not a patch on it), but with its ultra light weight tonearm, direct drive motor and weighted platter. I'd as you might tell really pleased with it,

The cartridge will be updated to the Sumiko Pearl once I'm ready as it has a compliance of 12 which is ideal (10.26) and the one I'm using is pushing about (14.04 and its compliance is about half of the Sumiko) as far as I can see for my ultra lightweight the tonearm and SH151 head unit

So, as I mentioned, just get something that will allow them to hear what it can do, if they really enjoy it, then look at something better for them

Thanks both for the reply. My tinnitus is there but it's not overly bad (yet?). So I may just enjoy some of the fun. I just took delivery of the DAP 101 because I thought I'd use it to see if it all works so that part is covered.
What I would mostly like your expert opinion about is which quality level of the preamps mentioned above would I need to get the most out of the turntable factoring in that the Marantz can reveal only what it can.

@Ugg10 I searched for the Tisbury Phono and found this. I assume that this is the one you mean?

Thanks!
Pete

Yep, your link is the same as the one that I posted.

Okay I contacted Tisbury and they are very friendly and quick indeed. But I am still in doubt and could use some more input. I did a lot of searching reviews last night and reduced the short list to:
  • Pro-Ject box S
  • Musical Fidelity V90 LPS
  • Tisbury Domino
My reasoning is: odds are I will at some point upgrade my Marantz to a big step up integrated amp or even pre/power amps. I think I want to keep such an amp purchase below 5000 quid. But even that is quite a lot of soundstage I can add to the mix.
Looking at such an investment, paying a little more (200 or even 250 instead of 100) for a phono preamp is peanuts. So I might as well get a preamp now that is a little pricier that I need for the Marantz, but which I can keep on using later.

I am secretly thinking the Marantz may be better than I think so I'm inclined to buy a phono preamp that is better than I may need, just to be sure it's not the weakest link. And just in case the Marantz will stay for 5 - 10 years.

But it is impossible for me to know which phono preamp price level would be needed for a €5000 amp. So my question is: will any of the three I just mentioned above be good enough for such a higher class amp? Or would I need to step up the preamp to the £500 - £1000 range?

Thanks!

Why not look at something from MoFi and there StudioPhono if your wanting to spend a little more (as you say its long term). Have a read about company here, MoFi

Okay I read some good stuff about the MoFi StudioPhono. I notice I'm still senstitive to wanting to get the best possible. So I can get the MoFi here in the Netherlands for €329. Before that I was drawn to the Tisbury, which I can order from the UK for under £165 incl. shipping, equalling €190.

I think I got it down to these two.

So would the MoFi be worth it now already with the Marantz receiver over the Tisbury?

Thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it!

Pete

Hey all, the situation has changed a bit, as I need to pay €55 import fees (totally forgot Brexit and how it brought about additional cost and how it could affect me personally), bringing the Tisbury Domino from £159 (£171 incl. shipping) to a total of over €260. The jump to the MoFi StudioPhono now is just €80 (€340 incl. shipping, from a dutch reseller). What shall I do? I could send back the Tisbury at delivery (now scheduled on Monday) and jump to the MoFi.

Or I could just bite the bullet, pay all charges, try to instantly forget about my dumb stupidness and welcome the Tisbury with a warm heart.

Opinions?

Thanks, Pete

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom