Which pre amp will be better upgrade for me?

ares

Standard Member
Reaction score
I want to add a pre amp to my system which consits of
Marantz SR6005
Marantz KI Pearl Lite cdp
Popcornhour A300
Squeeezebox duet
Rotel RB990 power amp(connected via pre outs on 6005)
B&W 603s3 fronts
B&W 602s3 rears
ASW600 sub woofer
LCR 600 centre speaker
I listen to music in pure direct mode using the dac of the cd player.
Will a dedicated pre amp make a difference to my system or should I rather spend money on something else?
I have a choice between Rotel RC1090 and Proceed Avp2 Which will be best?

How about new front speakers instead? The B&Ws you have are solid, but the rest of your system is not bad either and money spent on speakers usually gives the best returns.

I have a choice between Rotel RC1090 and Proceed Avp2 Which will be best?
The RC1090 is a stereo preamp, the AVP2 is a legacy multichannel A/V processor (no Bluray / HDMI). Are you hoping to improve your 2 channel performance (and why do you think it's the preamp) or are you hoping for better 5.1 performance despite sacrificing the HD audio formats you currently have with the SR6005 (and are you sure you understand the consequences)?

The answers to that will answer your question, always assuming you're convinced it is the preamp that's the bottleneck for stereo.

I would like to improve my 2 channel performance and keep 5.1 on Marantz. I plan to run my cdp and squeezebox directly into pre amp. Will this better my sound or can I spend money elesewhere for better results?
@ NoOneNew what speakers do you suggest?

Hello ares, welcome to AVForums :thumbsup: could you please use the correct areas of forum for specific questions as we have sub sections for Speakers/HiFi etc etc...

@ NoOneNew what speakers do you suggest?
If you like B&Ws, and with the Rotel power amp you have, how about better B&Ws for the fronts? Anyway, my point was that your system seems rather stronger on the electronics than on the speakers; your preamp is fine, better than the 600 series speakers (which are B&W's budget line). The 603s are large and their bass is not bad, but for stereo sound I would get better standmounts rather than worse floorstanders for the same money. Maybe something from the CM line?

recruit: sorry if I'm getting a little OOT, but it's still a "should I buy a new pre" question.

Last edited:
I would like to improve my 2 channel performance and keep 5.1 on Marantz. I plan to run my cdp and squeezebox directly into pre amp. Will this better my sound or can I spend money elesewhere for better results?
As NoOneNew says, you could indeed spend your money elsewhere (i.e. speakers) for better results, but it does very much depend how much money you have. Used speakers may also be an option to achieve "more for less". I suggest asking in the speaker section (as per recruit, and so as not to irate him), giving a budget?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom