1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Pre amp/AV receiver ?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Hoppo, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Hoppo

Hoppo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help :lease:

I am shortly splashing out on a Plasma Panel to hook up with my HiFi, but my old integrated amp had no remote control for volume so it seems like a good excuse for an upgrade :clap: (had an Exposure XX which matched my speakers nicely).

I am after a pre amp to drive:

Epos ES11 speakers
    Two Exposure 3010 power amps

I am considering a secondhand Linn AV5103 which sell for around £1000, as I hear the preamp on this is particularly good. My criteria is for good quality stereo music, and the home cinema aspect is definitely of less importance to me (at the moment!).

One final question - If I watch a DVD and route the video to the plasma directly using component video, and route the audio from the DVD to the Linn 5103, will the sound be in sync to the picture (or will I need to route the DVD through the 5103 to the plasma using S-video).

All help appreciated...my head hurts! :confused:

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    A lot depends on whether or not you want purely a stereo preamp,or a multichannel processor.....

In the sub £1k bracket there are a number of very good stereo preamps,as well as quite a few good processors available,both new and used.

If I was looking for stereo only,I'd have a look at the Conrad-Johnson PV10,which is a superb tubed preamp,with excellent sound quality,and one of the best in it's price range.
    As regards processors,there are lots of very well priced Meridian and TAG processors around,plus Rotel and Myriad...I assume you're looking to the longer term and maybe adding rear and centre speakers?

3. Hoppo

Hoppo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply-

I am trying to look long term and am sure that I would eventually get centre and rear speakers. The Linn 5103 would seem to be a good bet, but I have yet to listen to it in my system.

Would it be a mistake to buy a secondhand pre DTS version of the Linn 5103? Can it be upgraded?

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Hoppo,
    Not sure if the 5103 can be upgraded. But it is a fine amp in it's own right. Any of the manufacturers Alex has mentioned would certainly be worth looking at especially the conrad johnson, I heard one about a year ago. Very nice.