Which power cord to choose for lcd?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by italianninja, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. italianninja

italianninja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Try your local kitchen shop for a kettle lead, then head down to B&Q for an extension lead. That'll save you a few pounds :thumbsup: .

Sorry, on a more serious note (sorry for interrupting your post), is there anywhere that can show that a 'better-than-normal' power lead makes any difference? I'm just interested in upgrading somewhere and wondering where to spend my money.

Thanks

Jez

3. italianninja

italianninja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What hifi in decembers issue I think it was, was saying that you should spend at least 10% of your budget on cables. They got three none believers to come in and listen to some music with standard cables and then with some top end cables.

I am looking for a good cable because I will be putting it in the wall and dont want to change it again ever! So if I put a decent cable in, if I change my lcd I know I always will have a good cable to connect it to.

I did the same with hdmi cable, I brought monster m1000 hdmi to hdmi. Amazing cable thick and chunky picture quality compared with a standard cable was amazing, I could definetley tell the difference. And then theres the monster cable m1000 subwoofer cable again an excellent cable. Monsters build quality is excellent.

Its down to the individual at the end of the day. if you are a fanatic or just want the best possible picture and sound you will do anything to get it. And for me spending a couple grand on a tv then connecting a 4.99 if that power cable doesnt seem to make sense? does it to you and why?

4. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218

That topic has been done to death on these boards. It's impossible for one digital cable to offer a better picture or sound than another because of the way digital signals work.

5. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I could see how a better video cable could potentially offer better picture quality, but how could a power cable possibly change anything? All it does is gives the screen power, no matter how thick, thin or colourful it is...

I see your point that you wouldn't want to skimp on cables, but if there is no difference then why bother spending out? I read the thing in the What Hi Fi December issue - the three non-believers concluded that they noticed a difference, but more in quantity rather than quality. And, as I say, that was a different matter, as they changed the AV cables, rather than the power cables.

Jez

6. italianninja

italianninja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another thing to note is the purity of the materials used. Copper isnt always pure copper, gold isnt always pure gold. The higher percentage of copper in power cables the more efficient power is at passing through them. Same with speaker cables, why dont people use good speaker cables and prepared to spend up to £200 a meter? I personally spend roughly £250 on my speaker cables for my radius setup using monitor audios own silver cable! and why silver? because silver is a better conductor than copper is therefore allowing more signal to go pass through.

But on all these expensive cables, conductivity isnt always the key issue. An expensive cable is more likely to have better sheilding against interferance (reason some cables are thick), better build quality to last prolonged periods of ware and tare lifetime guarantees etc etc.

I am with the what hi fi boys on the cable issue. 10% of system should be spent of cables.

7. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    What about the miles of cabling from the national grid to your home, the wiring inside your walls. Is that £200 a metre?

You never thought maybe What Hi-Fi say things to please the advertisers happy.

8. jonny round boy

jonny round boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    My opinions:

Is it worth spending more on analogue video/audio cables? Yes, probably;

Is it worth spending more on digital video/audio cables? Dunno, possibly;

Is it worth spending more on power cables? No. Definitely not.

All this talk about purity of copper etc is irrelevant when it comes to power cables. If the copper is less pure, yes it may have a slightly higher resistance, but all that means is you get 229.5V instead of 230V, and that means absolutely nothing to your equipment (bearing in mind that the national grid could be providing anything between 207V and 264.5V depending on where you are (230v +15/-10%)).

If you're worried about 'noise' or EMI on the line, buy a decent EMC filter (max 20 quid) and use a lead from B&Q. Anyone who spends £250 on a power cable is kidding themselves, and has more money than sense (IMHO)!

9. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Poor old italianninja - I think opinion is pretty one sided on here when it comes to power cables. Maybe a test with some screenshots could prove us wrong? I would love to do this myself, however I don't have the money to buy £250 power cables :( .

I think you need to find a new hobby - it looks like you've pretty much exhausted the Home Cinema market (looking at your signiture).

I guess the main reason that people buy these cables is pride in their knowing that they have the best cables around. I can see why - it sure would make me feel good about my setup.

As a result of this discussion I think I'm going to look elsewhere to spend my money - possibly better speaker cables, as I can see why this could potentially make a difference. But the non-believers in What Hi Fi didn't seem to think so...

10. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218

If it could be proven there would be no skepticism and we'd all have fancy power leads.

There's a post in the HD-DVD/Blu Ray section at the moment about why HDMI cables make no difference irrespective of cost.

11. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I was just being nice to italianninja :D . I don't think we can be proven wrong either. Hey, that's that.

12. easytigerpoole

easytigerpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not too hot on speaker and video signals but I do know about power - I run a company that makes power leads and connectors for ultra extreme environments where quality is paramount. Putting a few feet of "expensive power cable on the end of the national grid will do nothing for your home setup. It is like gold plating the last few inches of your garden hosepipe and expecting the water to come out even more pure. You really will get more benfits spending the money on something else.

13. italianninja

italianninja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    this is why there are power filters, conditioners and power cables of excellent quality to sort the mess out.

14. italianninja

italianninja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    why spend money on better speaker cables when your not prepared to spend better money on power cables?

15. italianninja

italianninja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    obviously you have to make sure that the power source is as clean and filtered as possible and I have done this by using a monster hts 1000.

16. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218

and what is the result of sorting the 'mess' out?

If it's that messy to start off with there must be loads of before and after pics around...

I think you're what they call 'an ad man's dream'

17. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Because I cannot see how posibly 5m of 'premium quality, quadruple shielded pure 1,963 carat gold' power cable can make a difference to the miles of cable which are not 'premium quality, quadruple shielded pure 1,963 carat gold' coming into your house!

And what's more, even if I had the worlds best generator, connected to the world's most advanced premium power cabling right in my house, I cannot see how it would make the picture any different. It's power! Electricity! It gives the panel juice, and as long as it gives enough I don't think it matters in the slightest how 'pure' the 'juice' is.

Speaker cable, however, does not just give the speakers power to run on. It gives them the music, and we all know what bad & good speakers sound like. I recently got my new humble setup with new speaker cable, and the difference was in my opinion quite good.

I have not investigated cabling issues with digital signals, but from some recent physics lessons I'm beginning to wonder whether they are also unnecessary. I'm not sure yet...

18. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I highly recommend that you google the following phrase "Power Supply Rejection"
    Noise rejection in power supply design has been a done deal for decades. We learnt it before university, where I come from.
    That doesnt mean the designers of the supply in your device implimented it, but if they didnt they should be shot.

19. pablo99

pablo99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    First question to answer is "Are you unhappy with the picture from the LCD in the first place?", probably not, but you do wonder if it could be better, right??

So go buy the posh mains lead and try it with Russ's money back guarantee.

Do let us know how you get on.

But then there is the old "improve your sources before the output device" rule. So do you have the best mains leads fitted to your PS3 and DVD player?

What I did to improve my own mains was to install a dedicated spur straight of the consumer unit. With it's own MCB and 2.5mm T&E to 4 two gang MK unswitched sockets. Keeping nasties like the freezer and heating "clicks and pops" away from the circuit. I polished the plug pins and the fuses with Brasso (a fuse it actually real shiny under all that plating!) and sprayed everything with contact cleaner. The mains leads are just the ones that came in the box shortened for neatness with a quality MK plug fitted. All done cheaply and easily by myself.

If you have problems with an unclean supply then a filter is a good idea and I note you have one already. I don't "hear" or "see" any problems with my own supply and as such have never thought to investigate filters/conditioners.

Speaker and interconnect cables are different as they carry high freq, low voltage signals point-to-point in a system and must do so without adding or subtracting from the signal and thus spoiling your enjoyment.

But as jezzer256 says, mains is mains. You can't control the source it comes from or the miles of cable that bring it to you. All you can do is keep it clean and free from interference from other electrical items within your home.

Oh yeah and pay through the nose for it too. ;)

Pablo

20. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99

I take it you've re-wired the mains cabling in your house with equally high-quality cabling? And/or you have lead acid batteries and circuitry powering your hifi? After all, you're spending this much on cables, I can only assume you're not using the grotty old cabling that enters your house........ Right? ;)

No, I thought not. Don't waste your money. Save it and buy an HD-DVD player.

I don't believe speaker cable makes any discernible difference in quality beyond a certain level either, and especially not digital cables. But that's another thread ;)

21. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    :eek: Don't think you saw his sig! If nothing else, congrats on that setup, it sounds pretty awesome :)

Jez

EDIT: My Bad, you have 2 blu ray devices & no HD DVD devices... the man's right, get an HD-DVD player - sounds like you can afford it!

22. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  23. easytigerpoole

easytigerpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you appear obviously convinced you want to spend the money, it's a free world so maybe there is no harm in going ahead. If it makes you feel better about the system in buying a cable then maybe that would be part of the justification in spending the money. You could well gain some value from that fact that you know you have done what you wanted to do.

So although I can guarantee you will not see or hear any discernable difference, you could well be slightly happier in yourself, which is not a bad thing after all.
    :thumbsup:

24. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    My LCD doesn't even have a removable power cord!

25. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I don't know whether I'm alone, but I find I get little benefit from reading through a thread that's has basically already finished. Being part of the discussion is the thing that helps me learn more.

This is why I would much prefer to have another thread than just read through an old one. Hope this is OK!

Jez

26. easytigerpoole

easytigerpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howard - for about 6 hundred quid I could provide you with a special "screenless cord" to solve your dilemma. It has a 3 pin female socket on one end and a 3 pin male plug on the other. Don't confuse this with those cheap imitations you see down B&Q....mine has orange cable :D

And I agree Jezzer...being involved in the discussion can be far more beneficial than re-reading old posts. Though I am a fairly newbie so after a while I may see the other side. In my humble opinion both areas are great - tha massive amount of helpful existing information here...and having a chinwag with other similar folks...even if it can degenerate in to sarcasm at times. :rolleyes:

27. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Italianninja - I couldn't help but notice the "Denon Blu Ray 3940" player in your signature - are you a time traveller from the future?:confused:

28. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I saw that too! Partly why I said 'impressive setup'! No mention of it on the Denon website - some photos would be nice!

Also, I've never heard of the 4307...

29. pablo99

pablo99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

30. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Maybe he's just on a wind up, after all who posts the colour of their AV rack in their signature :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.