1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which power amp

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Dave20, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit new so go easy ta..

I have owned a Yamaha DSP A2 for a couple of years now, and it run my B&W603's fine, but since my upgrade to Definative Tech 2004 they seem underpowered. I'm not in the market for a 5/7 chan power amp just yet, will wait till all the new formats are out and widely used before i take that jump. Basically im after a 2channel amp to help my def techs run a lil better. (untill i have all the funds for a seperate Processor + amp)

Can anyone here suggest some good amps i should be looking at (rather than put 100% trust into the salesman)

Speaker specs are

Recommended power 20-300 watts

Two 5 1/4" cast-basket upper bass/midrange drivers and Two 1" pure aluminum dome tweeters. One PowerField 10" subwoofer w/250-watt RMS Infinite Power Source amp.

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have always thought that the power amp part of the A2 was comparatively weak. If you want to add a power amp, then I would look at NAD, Rotel and Arcam in that order. I have listened to products from all of them and the NAD 216THX was/is my fav. LOTS of power and an easygoing nature so that the sound doesn't tire you out. I think that this was replaced by the none THX, but probably just as good, C270 .
    Rotel make some seriously good kit that performs above the asking price. I would get the 1070 at least for your Def Tech's. I suppose that Rotel's range isn’t any better than NAD's, really (apart from choice - Rotel make lots of power amps) but I prefer the NAD sound.
    Arcam are liked by many, and though I thought the Alpha 10 was a good, though not excellent, amp the newer Diva amps are supposed to be much better.
    What is certain is that all of the amps above would up your amplification quality and power (in terms of current, at least) considerably, and let your A2/Def Tech's shine.

Russell

3. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about a NAD C370
    You will get 100% better 2 channel performance and can remove the links and use it as a power amp!

I have the pre outs from my DSP-AX620 going into a high quality switch box and the pre outs from the NAD also going into this box.
    The Output feed from this box is connected to the "main in" power amp section on the C370.
    All I have to do is select AV amp or Nad on switch box.
    Beats muckin about with two volume controlls!!
    NAD is 10db higher in gain than the Yamaha, so I used a pair of Rockwell in-line attenuators.
    Did try main level -10 on amp but could hear noisefloor,
    Main set to norm and Rockwell in-line attenuators in circuit = perfect level match L,C,R and a silent noise floor (no hiss at all).

Sky & DVD connected to YAMAHA CD player,MD connected to NAD.

Ass kickin performance with movies and real Audiophile quality with 2 channel :smoke:

Doing this also increased Dynamic power headroom of Yamaha by 40% as the main speakers are not connected/drawing power. :zonked:

Well worth £400 OR SO QUID:smashin::( :( :(

4. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have been doing car hifi for like 7 years now.. and understand all aspect of that..

having seperate amps = better. adding an extra 20/30watts rms i wouldnt have thought to be a good spend of 400+ quid.
    i could be totally wrong etc. the A2 kicks out 100rms and the rotel and nad kick out around 120rms per chan. i know integrated amp systems is not so great compared to processor + power amps. but should i not be looking at 150-200rms per chan? maybe im wrong?!?

I came here for advice, and am glad ive recieved it, but me being me, i am nosey and ask questions alot before i take the plunge into a new purchase ( yam 795 being an exception hehe )

ok next question, where is a good place to buy rotel, nad, parasound or any other make

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The wattage per channel doesn't mean a thing, really. There are Naim amps out there rated at 30w/channel that would kick your A2 into touch. This is because these amps deliver more current. The NAD C270 (or 370, which is the 270 with a stereo pre amp) in particular will be a significant improvement in both quality and power delivery over your A2. Same goes for the Rotel.

You can find NAD here and both here , though they are kinda expensive.

Russell

6. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the wattage thing is the same with home cinema too then.. had to check hehe.. the 270 seems about the right price untill i can buy a pro, power in one

thx for the advice

7. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the C270 and it showed up the noisefloor in my Yamaha's pre amp.
    The C370 is the 270 with a pre amp and the same price.
    It also beats the pants off any av amps pre amp.
    The C370 WAS MUCH BETTER FOR MUSIC THAN YAM + 270

Go for the C370 and use its pre for music and run the YAMS pre outs into it for movies.

iT IS ALL ABOUT CURRENT DELIVERY.

I doubt your A2 WILL MAKE 70AMPS INTO 1OHM:laugh:

Taken from nadelectronics.com

We take exception to mindless "brochure power" specifications, which don't give a realistic indication of an amplifier's true capabilities. Instead, the ISC topology is a practical approach to enable an amplifier to easily deal with musical dynamics and difficult speaker loads. More meaningful in the real world are the C370's dynamic capabilities; up to 450 Watts into 2 ohms and up to 70 amps current capability into 1 ohm!