Which power amp ?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by grahamricho, Jul 11, 2015.

1. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi I own a Denon AVC A1D Av amp running a set of Kef THX speakers in a room 2.8m x 5m.
    Im running a set of interconnects out of my Bluray to the 5.1 input on the amp.

I have decided to upgrade the amp, but want to do it gradually, adding power amps to all channels and then a separate processor.

I want to add mono blocks to all channels or maybe a stereo to rears or stereo power amps all round.

Ive been looking at either Meridian 556/557 stereo power amps, second hand they seem to go for £600 ish or Audiolab m and P poweramps either new or second hand.

Will it be a big change adding power amps ? The Denon is rated at 170 watt a channel, is adding a 100 watt power amp a down step ? I used to have a Audiolab 8000a and it was always very loud,

Any suggestions, i not keen on the 5 channel power amps prefer them separate thanks

2. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Is this just for cinema, or for stereo music as well?

I suspect that some members here will suggest one of the North American power amps, even though you've specified a preference for separates. Is there any particular reason why you feel that separates are likely to be better?

If you do go down the separates route then I would suggest that Cyrus may be worth considering. They are easily available secondhand. They are easy to mix and match and move around your system as you upgrade, as the stereo amps can be switched to mono block mode.

Four example, you could start with just the front three channels using to stereo amps, with the amp for the centre channel switched into mono block mode. Later on you could upgrade to 2 proper mono blocks for the front left and right, and move the remaining amp to the back channels.

3. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    A lot is with cost, I thought i could upgrade a channel a time when funds allow say £600 a time. Also I have bought so much stuff over the years that has become absolute I thought id build a separates pre and power and a high quality one.

4. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Monoblocs is a bit much for a home cinema, number of boxes etc. I'd just get a single or a couple of multi channel amps. Say a 2 then a 3.

I'm using a couple of ATI amps, upgraded from Audiolab 2 channel amps.

5. xar

xar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,040
    I currently run a Yamaha 3030 with a lexicon GX7 power amp. The difference in scale and prescence was both immediate and substantial. Considering moving to a processor/power amp combo as my next move in fact. It does run mighty hot though, so if you go with mono-blocks just ensure you have the space for heat to get out.

6. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Just think the 7 channel power amps are all not a lot different than AV amps, the amount of power the pre/processor side takes is marginal and the power amps take the power. So you have 5 or 7 power amps fighting for power from a transformer. So to give each channel its own power amp is a lot better than basically having an av amp minus the processor as a 5/7 channel power amp is.

7. RonCH

RonCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    What about an Arcam P7?

8. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +595
    I am very happy with the sound of my denon running as pre and my arcam p777.

So a P7 could be a good option, if you can find one.