Which power amp to add to Denon avr-x4500h With Klipsch for Atmos 7.2.4

Just a shame that the Monolith amps are not available over here......yet, however we live in hope that later this year they will be as they are excellent value for money and a quality product too.:thumbsup:

I have a set of Monolith THX speakers THX365T/365C and 265 surrounds and for the money they cant be beaten. :D

I've decided to wait some time for the Lyngdorf MXA 8400 to come out. I think if I could get the Lyngdorf i'd be happy with it for many years and not need to upgrade further.
There doesn't seem to be much information about it at the moment as it has been delayed.
I guess I'll just wait a while which helps really as it's approx £7k which is a fair bit more compared to what I was hoping to spend which was unrealistic in the first place, at least for a good quality power amp it's way too low. So £7k is quite a jump but if I don't need to upgrade it further down the line and it can last a long time it's worth it.

There is a 7x200w 6 month old JBL SDA 7200 Amplifier for sale in the classifieds for £1000 which is HYPEX based, I've grabbed one of them to run with my Denon 4400.

I've decided to wait some time for the Lyngdorf MXA 8400 to come out. I think if I could get the Lyngdorf i'd be happy with it for many years and not need to upgrade further.
There doesn't seem to be much information about it at the moment as it has been delayed.
I guess I'll just wait a while which helps really as it's approx £7k which is a fair bit more compared to what I was hoping to spend which was unrealistic in the first place, at least for a good quality power amp it's way too low. So £7k is quite a jump but if I don't need to upgrade it further down the line and it can last a long time it's worth it.

if you’re going to go all in you might as well dump the Denon and buy a Trinnov processor, Crown or JBL cinema amps and throw away the Klipsch and start looking at more cinema specific speakers like Krix, Adam Audio, Procella, Alcon......

Trinnov high end and very musical processor combined with nasty pro-audio Crown amps?? Trying to do home theatre or a PA system??

if you’re going to go all in you might as well dump the Denon and buy a Trinnov processor, Crown or JBL cinema amps and throw away the Klipsch and start looking at more cinema specific speakers like Krix, Adam Audio, Procella, Alcon......
if going krix... you can gat their own branded Elektra multichannel amps...huge dynamic range, clean refined, plenty of cost in a velvet glove ! :D been using elektra amps last 16 years.... krix also use trinnov for a reason.. but i have seen plenty of systems they have done with marantz and such as well :) definitely be going a dedicated processor over AVR for sure :)

Last edited:
Why do people buy power amps then?
I'm not looking for insane amounts of power, just more than I currently have, so may as well
get close to the speakers and get some headroom.
this thread getting on a bit and i dont know where you now sail with regards all this... but I doubt you need more power with the klipsch... but aware with higher efficiency speakers its the quality of watts that becomes all the more important... so quality amps do matter ...tehre are much compromises with AVRS and what can squeeze in...

also i note some dissing klipsch speakers... ive heard a set in a $250k room and did pretty well actually... goes to show how far can take things with room and setup... not to say cant do better with better speakers....

but again it all just comes down to what looking for... generally get what you pay for ... and its always worth looking at a balanced approach to systems ...

@alebonau There is one dealer in the UK that always seems to want to sell me an Onkyo AVR!

I think dealers advice is really helpful, and many dealers contribute to these forums. But equally as helpful is to hear how other owners have got on where they have bought the equipment and used it in their homes for extended periods of time.

@alebonau There is one dealer in the UK that always seems to want to sell me an Onkyo AVR!

I think dealers advice is really helpful, and many dealers contribute to these forums. But equally as helpful is to hear how other owners have got on where they have bought the equipment and used it in their homes for extended periods of time.

Definitely some pushing things for all sorts reasons ! :)

All good in the mix and all those kind of things suggested worth doing ... but dealers do have their place ... I find them really useful to take through ... thank them for the onkyo and and then move onto what keen to explore ... done plenty of home demoes but also worth exploring in store :) I pick and choose my dealers .. we are blessed with plenty beyond the box movers :) and many with decades knowledge and experience ... many with good product knowledge ... I always work on basis that can always learn something new :) forum feedback is all good, can help point in directions to explore and nothing then beats own experience :)

thanks for the varied advice...
For those saying I should change items I already have such as ditching the Klipsch as people have said or as kiwirob said to ditch the Denon and such is not what I've asked about or going to do, this is really off topic. I know some people hate Klipsch, that's a shame and no one's asking you to buy them and many many rave about Klipsch, it's almost like there is another reason people don't like Klipsch!!! Seems obvious to me. Anyway...It's not your setup so nothing for you to be so upset about my speakers which I love and that's all that matters. I can look into a pre amp further down the line and no doubt will, just not now, at the moment i'm looking into a power amp!

I could buy the Lyngdorf so I can see if I hear a difference in the quality of the sound, if not i'll sell it at a very small loss and buy a cheaper power amp. Otherwise I will keep it and when I move house I can look into a pre amp and use the Denon elsewhere.

From what I have read and have been told a quality amp does make a difference. With the Lyngdorf I would never need to upgrade it so though it would be a lot to spend now, I wouldn't 'lose' buying and selling other amps and if I didn't buy something in the quality range of the Lyngdorf I'd always wonder about it. If there are other amps in the same league as the Lyngdorf I'd look into them. Then in the future if I did change or buy other speakers the Lyngdorf would be perfect rather than buying a low power amp because the Klipsch dont need so much power then having to buy another amp for other speakers. I know it's a lot of money but again this is my problem and I want to have this experience. If the Denon was really 200W per channel at 6 ohms I wouldn't bother but it's not. Also, I don't think the Kilpsch are as efficient as the manufacturer states and there are many factors which go into determining the actualy efficiency which really needs to be tested in the room they will be used in. Then 3db's double the power required which would use more power for the smaller or less efficient speakers meaning the power amp would be better. All this would seem to improve the quality of sound with a power amp in any case without the need to try to guess how much power the speakers are using which is a guess. Too many variations in the calculations and the people using these wont admit this either! My way will give the best quality of sound I can but if there is no improvement I can sell the amp. In my experiece practice is always better than theory and calculations usually differ. Seems strange to some that want to show they know so much and worry about me spending £7k on a power amp which does not affect them as it's my money. I've been successful doing things this way in general. For some the money is a big issue, I've seen this a lot too in many aspects. I'm not the first to want to add a power amp to Klipsch speakers and many do say there is an improvement in sound quality which is what I want. If there isn't it will be sold so i'm struggling to see why some don't get this. If I always listened to what people told me I would have experienced very little in life. What I have found is a lot of people think they are right but they are just wrong but wont ever admit it, I dont have this problem. I'm happy for someone to come round with a lyngdorf 8400 to try but this is not gonna happen sadly.

In any case I'm some time away as I don't think it's available yet and probably wont be for some time, maybe not even this year or towards the end of the year. It's not urgent in any case but an experience I want to have for myself to learn, I will report back here what my experience is. I think I would have the lyngdorf for life and never need to upgrade it which would save me money in the long run and could use it for a variety of setups.

Any other power amp recommendations similar to the Lyngdorf is much appreicated, thanks to all that have helped with advice on power amps. You are true ladies and gentlemen.

Personally I think you should do it in stages, get a cheaper poweramp like a emotiva, outlaw or monoprice or jbl , maybe something like 100w X 7, keep it for a few years, then upgrade if needed, or reuse elseware or as rear/side amps. As a hobby it would be boring getting final high end system straight away, if you just throw money at it don't appreciate it as much, or if you went from 10" 150w sub to 18" 2000w sub you'll notice and enjoy it more..think ah right that is why it's better, you'll go through collection again and for me it's far more enjoyable putting it together over time changing parts, learn about it, add parts as needed, buying them reduced price, enjoying a much better system than simply buying new all brand new and full price. Since I'm pretty close to completing mine (just require hdmi av pre amp, a second sub, and heights) it's not fun thinking about changing main speakers because there is no point as those are flagship, to get better means such a big upgrade be over my paygrade, but I'm glad I started off lower down.

Would be boring if I simply went into a customer installer with say £50,000 and say put a good system together (no idea of brands, different designs, how it works, what each bit does, reading up alternatives, the benefit of a item, fitting it myself and hearing difference. I remember talking to local av dealer he said just had a customer walk in with a blank cheque, say want a high end system, no interest in specifics of it...I think that's a bit sad. If I was to order and buy say antimode dual core, I'd want to know what it is, wire it myself, do calibration myself (but get advice on more complex results of the response etc) I went from budget kef coda to flagship over years.

Amps do not last for life. A long time yes but not decade after decade.

Klipsch are not well liked due to too bright top end.

I also read that klipsch are also not as efficient as advertised, they were several dB from rated closer to mid 90's

I have the same Denon but am running Rotel RMB1090 and 1095 power amps which I have had since new. When I first thought about adding Atmos, I contacted Debon who said I can use the internal amps to power the extra speakers.
I recently realised one of the woofers on my KEF Reference 3.2 has blown. It appears it can't be repaired as they are so out of date now. I have been thinking about the Klipsch speakers so would really like to hear what tiger thinks of them.

I have the same Denon but am running Rotel RMB1090 and 1095 power amps which I have had since new. When I first thought about adding Atmos, I contacted Debon who said I can use the internal amps to power the extra speakers.
I recently realised one of the woofers on my KEF Reference 3.2 has blown. It appears it can't be repaired as they are so out of date now. I have been thinking about the Klipsch speakers so would really like to hear what tiger thinks of them.
So I have what I expect will be an unpopular opinion...
Old Klipsch speakers... The huge furniture sized ones are pretty awesome... The copper cone ones you see in a bazillion YouTube videos? No! Way too bright for my taste! I find them almost screechy every time I hear them. I have a feeling (speculation not fact) that they are sponsoring a lot of "influencers" so they will be seen in tons of places.
Disclaimer, I have not owned any but I have heard many... I have a friend who lucked out and got some original gigantic ones and they sound amazing... The woofers have to be 18 or maybe even 20 something inches and the horn at the top is really wide... I'm afraid I don't remember the model name... But it's stunning.
All of the newer ones I have heard are almost "ringy" and harsh. That said, I understand why... Last time I was in a theatre I found the audio in a top end commercial system literally painfully bright too... so I assume they're inspired by that...
For reference of what I mean, I have never heard a titanium tweeter I liked either... So maybe I am more sensitive to the highs than most people...

You did ask for opinions... LOL

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom