Which Portable laptop for teacher

darren68uk

My wife currently has a Dell Latitude 7350 2in1 laptop

its getting a little tired now, so thinking of a replacement,

Budget wise looking at no more than £500 new or refurbished,

13” screen matt or glossy as long as its anti glare and touch screen as she’s used to that
not fussed if its a 2 in 1 as she doesn’t use this ones 2 in 1 feature at all,
backlit keyboard also required,

she mainly uses it for word/excel stuff, and internet surfing,
but does have video meetings, so a good camera/wifi connection needed

long battery life also would be a positive but she’s happy enough leaving the current one connected to the power, but means im replacing the power connector after a while as it gets mangled about !

storage wise not too fussed as along as its upgradable, her current laptop has an nvme drive which i upgraded to 500gb one so thats probably enough for her,

also a good amount of USB ports would be nice, or at least 2!

also need something pretty light, as it spends a lot of time on her lap,

hope if covered most of the needs,

jimscreechy

Given you requirements you really have quite a bit to choose from. You could start with Amazon and put £500 in the search limit. One thing you may find is that most laptops at this price will come with 8GB of RAM and I would recommed 16GB of RAM. You may therefore want to go for something round about the £400 (or just over) mark and pay a bit extra for an 8GB memory upgrade, that is if you can't find one with native 16GB.

lots of laptops/notebooks won't have USB-A sockets these days, especially the very slim or more expensive models, USB -C is more the way things are going forward, so pay attention ot the connectors available, as they are easy to overlook.

I've seen a few i5 models that are within spec, which is good, but AMD models are just as desirable these days.

darren68uk

Given you requirements you really have quite a bit to choose from. You could start with Amazon and put £500 in the search limit. One thing you may find is that most laptops at this price will come with 8GB of RAM and I would recommed 16GB of RAM. You may therefore want to go for something round about the £400 (or just over) mark and pay a bit extra for an 8GB memory upgrade, that is if you can't find one with native 16GB.

lots of laptops/notebooks won't have USB-A sockets these days, especially the very slim or more expensive models, USB -C is more the way things are going forward, so pay attention ot the connectors available, as they are easy to overlook.

I've seen a few i5 models that are within spec, which is good, but AMD models are just as desirable these days.
Thanks for the input and ideas, what about a surface book 2? Ive just got an email from Microsoft offering fully reconditioned ones for just over £500, ?

re AMD , current gaming pc is a Ryzen specked one so agree amd are very capable chips,

Carbon 60

Hi,

You're going to find it very difficult buying a good 13" touchscreen & backlit keyboard laptop for under £500 either new or refurb, and especially difficult if not impossible finding one with a 512GB SSD. The MS Surface Book 2 refurb you posted about above - please can you also post the tech spec for it.

I strongly disagree that you need 16GB RAM for your wife's requirements, IMO 8GB (DDR4) is all you need. As regards the CPU you should be OK with a 10th or 11th gen (the CPU number starts with 10 or 11) Intel Core i3, but no earlier than that. A Core i5 10th or 11th gen if you want to be on the safe side, something like the 1035G1. Alternatively an AMD Ryzen 3 4300U or similar and Ryzen 5 4500U or similar.

I didn't find any 13" under £500 but here's two 14" i5-1035G1 machines - a refurb 14" HP Pavilion X360 for £450 from Laptops Direct with 256GB SSD and 3 month warranty. Also new 14" Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 for £569 from Currys PC World again with 256GB SSD.

I've never heard of this retailer SVP but they're selling a new 14" Flex 5 with the Ryzen 5 4500U for £489 with 256GB SSD.

darren68uk

Hi,

You're going to find it very difficult buying a good 13" touchscreen & backlit keyboard laptop for under £500 either new or refurb, and especially difficult if not impossible finding one with a 512GB SSD. The MS Surface Book 2 refurb you posted about above - please can you also post the tech spec for it.

I strongly disagree that you need 16GB RAM for your wife's requirements, IMO 8GB (DDR4) is all you need. As regards the CPU you should be OK with a 10th or 11th gen (the CPU number starts with 10 or 11) Intel Core i3, but no earlier than that. A Core i5 10th or 11th gen if you want to be on the safe side, something like the 1035G1. Alternatively an AMD Ryzen 3 4300U or similar and Ryzen 5 4500U or similar.

I didn't find any 13" under £500 but here's two 14" i5-1035G1 machines - a refurb 14" HP Pavilion X360 for £450 from Laptops Direct with 256GB SSD and 3 month warranty. Also new 14" Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 for £569 from Currys PC World again with 256GB SSD.

I've never heard of this retailer SVP but they're selling a new 14" Flex 5 with the Ryzen 5 4500U for £489 with 256GB SSD.

wont bother posting spec for the surface book as didtn't get it,

SVP used to be one of the go to for dvd and bluray rewritable discs, very decent company but not sure how they fair now, but still going so obviously doing ok,

don't think I said she needed one with a 500GB ssd, I said she's already got one in her current laptop, but i think its actually 1TB.. so that will go in her new laptop,

in the end went with something similar to what she already has, and was also purchased from the dell outlet store, figured keeping it similar will help with the transition for Her, paid £550 delivered from dell, little bit more than i wanted to pay but whatever keeps her happy,

Dell Outlet Latitude 13 - 3310 2-in-1 Laptop
Intel Core 8th Generation i5-8365U Processor (Quad Core, Up to 4.10GHz, 6MB Cache, 15W)
Windows 10 Pro
16GB (1X16GB) Up to 3200MHz DDR4 SoDIMM Non-ECC
256GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 35 Solid State Drive
13.3 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Wide View Angle Touch Display, WLAN Capable
RGB Camera
Intel UHD Graphics
Intel Wireless-AC 9560 Dual-band 2x2 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO + Bluetooth 5.0
3-Cell, 42 WHr Battery (Integrated)
UK/Irish Qwerty Backlit Keyboard

thanks again guys for the help

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom