1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which portable dvd player?

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by ken1956, Oct 30, 2004.

1. ken1956

ken1956

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to buy a portable player (with screen) for my daughter's Christmas, to be used in car/on holiday and as bedroom player (on portable TV with scart in). Whatever I get must be:

Multi-region or capable of being remote hacked
    Play dvd-r consistently (dvd+r would be good too!)
    Be reliable
    At least 7" screen?

Preferably under £200.

Maybe I expect too much!! Any experiences/advice welcome.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,412
    Moving this thread from the DVD Players forum to the Portable DVD Players forum.

3. ken1956

ken1956

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops:
    Thanks for moving it to where I should have put it in the first place! Apologies for the stupidity.

I notice that in another thread here you were writing about your own portable player. Sounded like the kind of use I need. Does your one play dvd-rs? I have a fair bit of home video etc that I would need to be able to show on it.

4. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Gutted I just sold one a month back the Mustek DVD PL207A that you can get from Overclockers.co.uk for £177

This I found had the loudest sound output from the unit. This being compared to the ones that richersounds have on offer.

I thought it was very good, picture, sound and build.

It has a infra red remote too which works from a great distance, complete with AV lead to tv, car charger/power, mains charger/power, and also it has its own rechargable battery.

I think there is a multiregion hack for it but never tried it!

5. ken1956

ken1956

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for that. Very helpful.
    The Mustek certainly seems to do everything I want. Anyone know the difference between the PL207 and the PL407 apart from cosmetics?
    Anyone know a reasonably priced source for the carry bag for this model?

6. vince

vince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a cracking portable dvd player from Aldi in july ..the Tevion dvp7011 7inch screen all the extras too all for £160 ... though im not sure if its M/R

7. smallmanongn

smallmanongn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a Mustek 407 from Toys R Us a while ago.
    Great little machine,7" widescreen,remote,battery,charger/adaptor,carrycase,leads for use in car,earphones and a copy of Spiderman,all for £160.
    Plays everything I have ever put in it and can be made multi region with the supplied remote,the screen is very clear and doesnt smear like some cheaper models when the camera pans.

8. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    My advice would be to leave the Mustek alone - not because it's the worst player out there (far from it) but because you can do better at the same price. I had a Mustek 207a that I got from ebuyer and I sent it back - after a bit of a fight. It had a bad pixel just to the left of centre screen that would always catch my eye. Otherwise it did everything I wanted reasonably enough. However, when I got my money back and invested it in a Shinco 1720 and am pleased to have bought a superior player. The screen is much more vivid than the Mustek, which looking back on it had a bluish tint. The build quality is superior altogether too. The Shinco is made from a solid brushed aluminium whereas the Mustek is plastic. Sound is as good if not better too. Multi-region from the box. Very happy I made the right decision to send my Mustek back and go for the Shinco.

Hope this helps.

Jules