Which portable dvd player from the list should I buy?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Daichi, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Daichi

Daichi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the title says which portable dvd player from the following list should I buy.

Philips PET706
    Philips PET720
    Goodmans GDVD83W2LCD
    Logik LPD850
    Toshiba SDP1700

I want the dvd player to play dvd+r and I also want the picture quality to be really good while the sound quality loud enough to hear in the car. I am not too worried about it playing divx and I also don't mind if it is not multi region.
    Please help me out here.
    Thank you.

2. Daichi

Daichi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have experiences with either the Philips PET706 or the Logik LPD850?
    Come on you guys! One of you should have advice on at least one of these dvd players.
    Its my brothers birthday in a week and I really need to know which one of these is better.
    Thanks in advance.

3. Noman

Noman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget about hearing the sound in the car without headphones. The built in speakers are not made for that...

Screenwise I think they are about the same. I haven't seen one 7 or 8" screen that are really good. The 10" in the PET 1000 are great. But thats another league... Or?

4. Daichi

Daichi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all thank you for the reply. I went to currys yesterday afternoon to ask for a preview of some of their dvd players which I was interested in and I found out the sound was not that loud but I am ok with that because I have a very good sound system which is portable. As for the screen size I found the Logik LPD850 pretty good and better than the others however still a bit small. What do you guys think of the Logik LPD1001 and the Polaroid PDU1063? They both have brilliant screens and great quality and I don't mind paying another £20 to £30 extra on those as long as I know they are better and worth it.
    As you can see I am not very good at portable dvd players so can someone recommend a good buy.
    Thanks again in advance.

5. macsterman

macsterman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I tried 3 sub £100 portable dvd players before getting the PET706. It has a good picture (you can adjust the contrast etc.) and the sound was by far the best. Build quality was also miles ahead of the others I tried. I've had it 6 months now and it's taken a fair bit of abuse and is still going strong. The fact it has an AV input (e.g. link up to the Playstation), has 2 headphone sockets are good 'bonuses'.

On the negative side, both minor points... there's been one dead pixel since it was new (not noticeable really but it's there nonetheless), also the disc spinning can be a bit noisy (common in portable dvd players though).

The others I tried were Wharfedale (didn't deal with motion on the screen well), Acoustic Solutions (very obvious pixel structure on the screen) and Venturer (sound pathetic). So, not surprisingly the Philips blew them away IMHO.

I saw the PET706 in Comet the other day for either £89 I think - I've been happy with it paying £100 from Argos, so seems like a good buy.

6. Norbert666

Norbert666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Although not on your list, I bought the PET1002 for my mrs for Crimbo.

The speakers are pretty terrible - You HAVE to use headphones. With headphones the sound quality is excellent.

If the smaller PETs have the same speakers then you should bear this in mind.

The screen is absolutely awesome though, it must be said.

Hope this helps.

James

7. Daichi

Daichi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also found the Philips PET706 really good but I found the screen size quite small to watch a movie on in a car and the Philips PET1002 looks really good with the screen size being pretty big and amazing but the price is around £250-£300 and I was hoping for a budget of under £150. I also do not need the divx playback. The reason I listed the dvd players I listed was because they all did what I wanted them to do and they were all below £150. Another reason I listed those was because they were all available at currys. I want the dvd player to be available at currys because I have £100 worth of currys vouchers which can be used at one time against a single transaction. Can someone give me a really good dvd player under the price of £150, available at currys or dixons and has an eight inch or bigger screen. This would really be appreciated. Thank you very much for all your help.

8. Norbert666

Norbert666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The point I was trying to make was that I found the Philips to have pretty rubbish speakers. If the smaller versions have the same speakers as the 1002, then it should be something to consider.

James

9. Daichi

Daichi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for misunderstanding Norbert666. I was really hoping for a screen which was 8 inch or bigger but at the moment I might buy the Philips PET720 because it has everything I need. I am still looking for a bigger screen than this. I have read quite a few reviews on this product and they all seem good. They say everything is brilliant about it and the only problem is the carry case which I am ok with. Is there any other suggestions?
    Thanks to everyone who is helping or has helped.

10. Jahlight

Jahlight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mate has a Shinco portable which he swears by. Goes everywhere with it. I have seen it a few times and sound and pq are very good. I'll get hold of the model number. I think he paid around £130 for it from Amazon a few months ago having had a Ferguson or something prior to that.

11. Rikwaller

Rikwaller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    I got the PET 720 for Chrimbo and I really like it. I think the is actually quite good, but only used it in a quiet room not in the car.....yet !!

The style is nice and the battery life is good, clocked 3.5 hours and it still had more to go. :clap:

12. Norbert666

Norbert666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Did you use the onboard speaker? How do you find it?

13. Daichi

Daichi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I will be going with the Logik LPD1001 as it does quite alot and seems pretty good. If I am making a wrong decision please tell me.

14. Rikwaller

Rikwaller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Yep, used the on board speaker, and I could hear it quite easily, can imagine though with road noise etc, it could be hard to concentrate.

I would highly recommend it but to be fair have not seen or used the logic DVD player.

15. Rikwaller

Rikwaller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    In fact just remembered that I was watching it upstairs and my Mrs shouted up to me to turn it down, because she could hear it downstairs while she was watching TV. I live in a small house though :D

16. Daichi

Daichi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have changed my decision on the dvd player. I will be getting the Logik LPD850 because it is free as it is £100 and I have £100 worth of vouchers. I shall tell you all what I think when it comes. Hope my brother loves it.
    Thank you very much for all your help.

17. Norbert666

Norbert666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cool. Hope you're happy with it. Let us know your thoughts.

James