1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which portable DivX/DVD player? Shinco?

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by cjdshaw, Nov 14, 2004.

1. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to get a portable DVD player and want one that will play DivX. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of the Shinco 1720, but I've read differing reports on its DivX compatibility.

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Firstly - make sure you're getting the 1720A and not the 1720 as the 1720 doesn't support DivX at all - only the upgraded 1720A does (www.allcam.biz look like a good retailer with lots of details on the product)

Can't find any reviews on it that mention it's divx comnpatibilities or if firmware upgrades are available.

3. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, thanks. That explains the different reports of its compatibility.

4. bowler900

bowler900

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My 1720A should arrive tomorrow, I will post findings later in the week if time permits

5. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bowler900, if you could, I'd be interested in what you think of it...still keep putting off buying a player, but having been caught in traffic on the M1 on friday night I only wished I had one, especially when I looked over at the ppl carier next to me and they were watching shrek 2...

6. StevePn

StevePn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Bowler900
    Did you look at other brands first?
    Also what is the Quality like, as i'm thinking of getting the 1850 (8" with DivX),but unsure of the Shinco brand against Panasonic or Philips.
    Please let us know
    Thanks, Steve

7. bowler900

bowler900

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    1720A arrived late morning but I did not get in from work till gone 9pm so first impressions only, will try and post a longer evaluation after the weekend if work permits.

The unit appears at a fist glance to be well constructed, the case is I believe aluminum not plasic and is relativly heavy.
    Tried R2 DVD played with no problem at all, likewise R1.
    DivX disc played well even poor quality low bit rate stuff seemed good on the small screen, played the same disc into 32" Panasonic TV and was very impressed with quality of image, I then tried what I think was a DivX 3.11 disc(I will need to check using PC that it is 3.11) and it played very well, I was dubious when I ordered this machine that 3.11 would work.

The TFT screen is very sharp and clear, adjustments can be made for brightness and colour. As noted elsewhere in this forum there is no volume control from the remote which I dont really see as a problem as you are likely to be very close to the unit anyway. 2x,4x etc are all handled from the remote even DivX seems to FF reasonably smoothly.

Overall fist impressions are that this is a very competant unit. I have a Liteon 2001 DVD/DivX player as well and this I believe from the short time I have had to play with the Shincop 1720A that it is better.

I did look at others such as Panasonic but the price and no DivX put me off, Shinco make a lot of DVD players branded by others, some of the Wharfedales are Shinco and many others have Shinco internals or are build to a 3rd partys specification.

I will evaluate further and hopefully post over the next weekend if I am not working.

8. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the review, bowler. I'm going on holiday soon so I'll definitely buy one to take with me. Keep us updated if you find any problems.

9. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 1721A but don't know whether this is Divix compatible, anyone any idea??

10. AVJunky

AVJunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bowler900, where did you purchase the Shinco 1720a. Does anyone know what allcam.biz are like?

11. bowler900

bowler900

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I ordered mine from Allcam.biz, ordered online on Sunday was delivered by CityLink am Tuesday, emails with tracking numbers from Allcam at the appropriate time, service seems very good, its the first time I have purchased from them but certainly will do so again if the price is right, and in this instance it was. :thumbsup:

12. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my 1720a with very similar experience. Ordered Sunday, dispatched Monday, arrived Tuesday, all tracked online. My first impressions of the player are very good. Solid feeling metal body. Nice screen. Handled a couple of DivX disks I gave it and is multiregion out of the box.

My only criticisms so far:
    Slightly plasticy feel to drive lid.
    A couple more buttons on the unit would have been nice, like OSD and Setup. Then you could leave the remote at home mostly. I'd feel a dick on a plane with the player 6" in front of me and pulling out the remote
    Monitor has 4:3 and Full modes but no zoom. If you have a letterboxed DVD, you're going to be watching it really small.
    Volume knob goes the wrong way (minor, but odd). I instinctively feel that away from me should give more volume.

I'll give my longer term comments when I've used it more, but so far I'd recommend it, and highly recommend Allcam.biz

13. macima

macima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got one of these for the kids at Xmas ;)

The picture is very good and I've had no problems with DivX compatability (I've had to unpack some of my DivX files, but I think that's true for most players). The sound thru ear phones is great, however the speakers are a bit tinny.

The worst thing is that the drive is noisier when playing CD-Rs and I think the video out is only composite.

Overall I very happy with it. Service from allcam was good as well.

Mark Mac

14. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about compatibility with DVD-R ?

I'm looking for a portable to keep the kids amused in the car and also to bring on holiday this summer.