Which pod coffee machine to buy?

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to treat myself to a pod coffee machine, and was wondering if anyone could recommend one they use?

I am tempted by the Tassimo atm, but am open to suggestions.

If only for coffee, I would go straight to nespresso. If you want it to make tea, chocolate etc then I guess tassimo is the way to go. Don't go philips senseo, for the sake of your tastebuds

We picked up the Nescafé Dolce Gusto Melody 3 from Argos last weekend. Very pleased with it, pods are reasonably priced if you shop about, makes lovely coffees, chocs etc and very quick & easy to use.

Just a comment for reflexion. I love coffee, and have myself family relatives which are coffee producers. I agree that nespresso makes good coffee. But the environmental costs are estratospheric. Coffee production in itself puts a big load on the environment, especially on water resources. But the invention of packing the coffee on small pods made of aluminum (probably the most nasty industrial product) for the sake of coffe is nonsense. I would instead suggest buying a good normal expresso machine, without aluminum involved.

We've been using a Tassimo since last Christmas, the coffee tastes great and quite a few of the other drinks we've tried are really nice too, although some only make very small cups.

I was a bit sceptical about the drinks being made hot enough, but needn't have worried, they're always piping hot.

as a coffee geek I would strongly advise you to go for a

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerobie-Aer...Z2GS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349822747&sr=8-1

Highly rated by everyday people to even serious coffee nuts for what it produces quality wise. Not only does it produce a great clean cup, is simple to use it even makes more economical sense too.

The coffee pods are what £5 for 8 pods or something similar for Kenco (low quality coffee)? The machine itself over £50? You can pick up an aero for just over £20 and buy fresh award winning beans (pre grounded or whole bean) from an online roaster (highly reco HasBean.co.uk) for £3+ per bag which will produce way more cups per £ than the tassimo. No less convenience either.

Dont get me wrong I love convenience and Im sure the Tas produces a decent cup but price wise they just hammer you on costs per cup. Thats why I hate these pod machines, they're way too greedy on prices. Good coffee costs no where near as much as they charge. happy to be paying circa 80p per cup for the next year or so?

Just some food for thought :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The coffee pods are what £5 for 8 pods or something similar for Kenco

really - there 28p each for nesspresso - I can get two cups from one pod as well so for me its more like 14p each.

10 cups for £1.40 is cost effective for me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerobie-Aer...Z2GS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349822747&sr=8-1

Highly rated by everyday people to even serious coffee nuts for what it produces quality wise. Not only does it produce a great clean cup, is simple to use it even makes more economical sense too.

The coffee pods are what £5 for 8 pods or something similar for Kenco (low quality coffee)? The machine itself over £50? You can pick up an aero for just over £20 and buy fresh award winning beans (pre grounded or whole bean) from an online roaster (highly reco HasBean.co.uk) for £3+ per bag which will produce way more cups per £ than the tassimo. No less convenience either.

Dont get me wrong I love convenience and Im sure the Tas produces a decent cup but price wise they just hammer you on costs per cup. Thats why I hate these pod machines, they're way too greedy on prices. Good coffee costs no where near as much as they charge. happy to be paying circa 80p per cup for the next year or so?

totally agree with everything you say !!!!

i've been using my aeropress almost every day for the past 4 years & it's still going strong !!

and funnily enough, i used to buy my coffee from steve @ hasbean too, GREAT selection of beans on his site.

stu

We picked up the Nescafé Dolce Gusto Melody 3 from Argos last weekend. Very pleased with it, pods are reasonably priced if you shop about, makes lovely coffees, chocs etc and very quick & easy to use.

Had one of these for years, its KACK! :thumbsdow

leedspokerguru said:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerobie-AeroPress-80R08-Coffee-Maker/dp/B000GXZ2GS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349822747&sr=8-1

Hmm ill google this for reviews, thanks.

I am also a coffee Geek! Having tried a number of machines over the years I would also recommend the Nespresso. Yes, the pods are not the cheapest, but the coffee is great. I've had a few machines break down on me though, so I would highly recommend these guys if you ever need any coffee machine spare parts or anything. They have ended up saving me loads, and stopped me having to replace my machine each time something goes wrong!

Spares Domestic Appliances Coffee Maker spares

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom